Preview 2024 Best 22 Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Amiss
Treacy/ Tabs
Jackson
Switta
Walters
Leaving
Sturt, JOM, Frederick, Simpson, Emmett fighting for two spots.

I prefer Sturt and Frederick, with JOM as midfield rotation and 8th forward bit realistically he will be forward, and someone else will come out.
Given the speed of everyone else, I reckon Freddy has his spot on lock

It's nothing against Sturt, it's just finding the right role. If Treacy, Amiss, Jackson, Walters, and Frederick are considered automatic, then there's only three spots left for O'Meara, Switkowski, Emmett, and Sturt, so one of those four has to miss out. Each bring a very different set of skills and attributes to the game, so it's not easy to just say which player is better than the other. It very much depends on what the game plan is going to be.

That's why I note that it could very easily be O'Meara who misses out and Sturt gets the nod.

Is 8 forwards too many?
Surely 7 is enough, unless they are doing big midfield minutes.

Is 8 forwards too many?
Surely 7 is enough, unless they are doing big midfield minutes.
You could possibly get away with 8 forwards given the time Jackson would be spending up the ground and I think Freddy plays some wing time this year. You then run into the problem of needing the cahunas to drop JOM to sub or something

Amiss
Treacy/ Tabs
Jackson
Switta
Walters
Leaving
Sturt, JOM, Frederick, Simpson, Emmett fighting for two spots.

I prefer Sturt and Frederick, with JOM as midfield rotation and 8th forward bit realistically he will be forward, and someone else will come out.
Snuffaluphagus

Dream lineup:
Walters Frederick Emmett
Treacy Jackson Amiss + Sturt

Most likely lineup:
Walters Frederick JOM
Treacy Jackson Amiss + Switta

We should trial JOM as the sub because he is versatile and can play mid/forward. We are actually quite close to a quality forwardline, we just need to trade in/draft an elite small forward.

Snuffaluphagus

Dream lineup:
Walters Frederick Emmett

Most likely lineup:
Walters Frederick JOM

We should trial JOM as the sub because he is versatile and can play mid/forward. We are actually quite close to a quality forwardline, we just need to trade in/draft an elite small forward.
That’s my pick as well.
Amiss
Treacy
Jackson
Walters
Sturt
Frederick
Emmett
Top 7, Switta gets the 20% Jackson is in the ruck, or a little bit more if Jackson spends some time as a mid, although JLo basically squashed that idea in his last presser stating Jackson was needed forward to take the best KPD away from Amiss.
No room for JOM, Simpson or Erasmus in my forward line.

Last edited:
Snuffaluphagus

Dream lineup:
Walters Frederick Emmett

Most likely lineup:
Walters Frederick JOM

I have to admit, I would be very tempted to play Emmett ahead of Switta, just his size and aggression is very hard to ignore. I do think expectations on Emmett have gotten slightly out of whack though. 2 games that were far and away ahead of what he showed at Peel all year should be taken with a fairly large grain of salt

I have to admit, I would be very tempted to play Emmett ahead of Switta, just his size and aggression is very hard to ignore. I do think expectations on Emmett have gotten slightly out of whack though. 2 games that were far and away ahead of what he showed at Peel all year should be taken with a fairly large grain of salt
Without knowing too much, I've got the sense, from others, that some of his pre season form has indicated those two games may not be isolated?

Without knowing too much, I've got the sense, from others, that some of his pre season form has indicated those two games may not be isolated?
The latest intraclub he was better than I realised (after watching the vid) though I still have concerns on his disposal. I very much hope it's not isolated and was spruiking him at Peel as being a genuine player (even though someone on here was getting shitty at me for it) but as long as peeps arent expecting those games to be the norm, all good. Would find it hard to leave out Sturt or Switta though

The latest intraclub he was better than I realised (after watching the vid) though I still have concerns on his disposal. I very much hope it's not isolated and was spruiking him at Peel as being a genuine player (even though someone on here was getting shitty at me for it) but as long as peeps arent expecting those games to be the norm, all good. Would find it hard to leave out Sturt or Switta though
The risk/reward is too great to ignore. A good coach would play him and see what he can do. If he doesn’t perform and needs to be dropped back to Peel than so be it. The coach would have gotten respect for trying and the fans who have asked for Emmett to play will be silenced.

If switta is fit he plays. No way he isn’t best 22.

JJJ are locks.
Walters.
fred

the last spot is tough. I like Emmett, great pressure etc - but he’s a newbie so might have to wait a bit. Sturt also worthy. And JOM is underrated on here I reckon.

JOM, switta and Freddie run through the middle, so you could play 8 ‘forwards’ if those are 3 of them - if you’re missing a midfielder from the mix due to Eg injury which will happen at some point.

Last edited:
I genuinely can’t see how we include Sturt in these conversations. Whenever Amiss, Treacy or Jackson are on the bench (or ruck in Jackson’s case) we need a medium target to compliment our two remaining talls. Switta, Emmett and JOM don’t provide a target, they bring other attributes to the table but being a lead up for mids to pass to isn’t it. Erasmus and Banfield have the height but not the class.

I genuinely can’t see how we include Sturt in these conversations. Whenever Amiss, Treacy or Jackson are on the bench (or ruck in Jackson’s case) we need a medium target to compliment our two remaining talls. Switta, Emmett and JOM don’t provide a target, they bring other attributes to the table but being a lead up for mids to pass to isn’t it. Erasmus and Banfield have the height but not the class.
Playing devils advocate, they could well decide JOM provides as good a target and with added flexibility. I prefer Sturt but I think it's valid if someone has put Emmett ahead of him. The problem really is that including Sturt means the forwardline feels like it's missing someone that runs around like a maniac pressuring / keeping it locked in. They all are ok, just not Schultz or Emmett. Including Emmett means the scoring feels limited and there's a lot required on Amiss, Treacy and Jackson.

We've said it heaps but we are really really missing an elite small forward who can provide high pressure AND score 30 even 40 goals. It would really complete us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not Sturt. He spent his first year (2019) more or less out of the game due to concussion. Played a few Peel games and then was out.

The original post was players debuting in round one which Sturt did. Nothing was mentioned about whether they were a first year player.

Playing devils advocate, they could well decide JOM provides as good a target and with added flexibility. I prefer Sturt but I think it's valid if someone has put Emmett ahead of him. The problem really is that including Sturt means the forwardline feels like it's missing someone that runs around like a maniac pressuring / keeping it locked in. They all are ok, just not Schultz or Emmett. Including Emmett means the scoring feels limited and there's a lot required on Amiss, Treacy and Jackson.

We've said it heaps but we are really really missing an elite small forward who can provide high pressure AND score 30 even 40 goals. It would really complete us.
You just described Schultz

Edit: it didn’t work, we were too short and good defensive teams shut down Amiss and Treacy too easily.

You just described Schultz

Edit: it didn’t work, we were too short and good defensive teams shut down Amiss and Treacy too easily.
Yes, I think he'll be a decent loss. The closer Amiss and Treacy get to 25, the better off we'll be. Also, keep Darcy on the park so Jackson can continue to spend time forward

Yes, I think he'll be a decent loss. The closer Amiss and Treacy get to 25, the better off we'll be. Also, keep Darcy on the park so Jackson can continue to spend time forward
Really hoping Knobel comes on fast enough to replace Darcy if he gets injured this year, so Jackson can stay forward more and more importantly Treacy isn’t required as second ruck. Even if Knobel and Jackson split the ruck 50/50 and he just stands in the goal square when he’s in the forward line, the opposition need to man him up.

Hey Boys and Girls,
Walker is no good, you all have him in your 22. Final v Collingwood forever ingrained.

Not much change from last year, hard to see where the improvement will come from.
Nat, another year older and regained his pace?

Brodie couldn't get a game but now back in favour?

Young to the midfield could be a huge positive, he is a star, sadly you need 22 top players. Robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Deckchairs>shuffling>Titanic

How long before the big Teddy Bear Darcy limps off with a twisted knee?

Finish with a positive, Jacko could have a huge year.

Imo he is not a small forward, he is a midfielder first that can occasionally play forward. This is why the coach has favoured Schultz and Walters as our two small forwards over the last few seasons. Switta's main attributes are his pace and ability to get through traffic which makes him 'perfect' for the midfield.

I will be very disappointed if we go the safe route this season and try to cover Schultz's position with Switta. His set shot accuracy is extremly average and he doesn't get enough looks at goal. More importantly we have young forwards to develop and playing Switta and JOM in the forwardline keeps them out. Emmett is the most like for like player next to Schultz but is taller, faster and has lots of potential. We should back him in and see how he performs.
He has played two (very good!) games for us. And a whole lot of bog average games for Peel. Will be amazed if he gets into the team before Sturt.

Hey Boys and Girls,
Walker is no good, you all have him in your 22. Final v Collingwood forever ingrained.

Not much change from last year, hard to see where the improvement will come from.
Nat, another year older and regained his pace?

Brodie couldn't get a game but now back in favour?

Young to the midfield could be a huge positive, he is a star, sadly you need 22 top players. Robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Deckchairs>shuffling>Titanic

How long before the big Teddy Bear Darcy limps off with a twisted knee?

Finish with a positive, Jacko could have a huge year.
Seek comfort in the church they are paid to like w***ers.

Seek comfort in the church they are paid to like w***ers.
Haha Baked,

We've had 30 years and it hasn't happened, had some greats, Pav, Barra, Jonno, Luke M, Fyfe, Sandi.
Not sure we currently have one at that level. Potentially maybe Jacko. That's it.

Don't come sooking in six weeks if it's all gone to shite. A bit of balance. $51 for flag and $4 for the eight, what does that tell you.

ps Convince me Walker is AFL standard.

Who do we think is the most likely to get cut from this lineup to make room for one more defender on the bench.
View attachment 1911464
Emmett, though I'm starting to hope the interrupted preseason means JOM gets the sub, just feels like it balances better

1708664010802.png
This is my bet for our best 22, we have decent coverage across the pitch, great flexibility to shuffle spots, good height and speed throughout and a pretty dangerous forward set up. Depth for injuries and poor performance covering all spots as well, couple being unlucky to miss.

Brodie: direct swap for Fyfe if he goes down, very equal output in terms of feeding the ball out and two way running. TOG would be very similar as well so cohesion wouldn't suffer if Fyfe gets injured
Emmett: Pushing on the heels of both Sturt and JOM, my choice for sub to start the year as I think he is the exact player to have impact when getting on, with pace at the contest and intent.
Chapman: When healed is a good shout to push Aish out, we gain some better intercepting and creative use off the back half but needs to get fully fit.
Hughes and Banfield: Solid serviceable depth if more then 1 injuries occur in their respective positions.
Erasmus: If any other of the mids go down I think he is first in over Brodie, as he replicates Bray/Serong/Young much better and keeps that two way running at a high level.
Taberner: Ready to roll once any of the keys go down or even Darcy or Jackson get injured (Treacy to support in ruck if this occurs). Also available just to give the young ones a rest if required.
O'Driscoll: Ready to roll wing replacement who should be making Sharp and Johnson stay on top of their game.

Cohesion and balance across the pitch will see this team make finals, if we aren't getting the pressure up front Emmett can bring it. If we aren't getting clearance ascendency Brodie is ready to roll. If we are lacking height in the back half, Hughes comes in for one of Walker/Wagner. There is potency across the pitch and I very much like it.

All we need now is no injuries to occur and West Coast to beat us tomorrow to push our finals betting market out just a little further before I dump my wages into it :lock:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back