Teams 2024 Fantasy Rate My Pre-Season Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Are people really paying up for R3 to cover for a single bye when it's best 18 anyway?
Mine's not for bye cover. It's the ability to generate a further $200k on teams not starting a playing R3. The $380k someone not paying up for an R3 is being dispersed across 29 other positions (often on early bye playing premiums) when you can only count best 18 scores in 4 of the first 6 rounds.

Mine's not for bye cover. It's the ability to generate a further $200k on teams not starting a playing R3. The $380k someone not paying up for an R3 is being dispersed across 29 other positions (often on early bye playing premiums) when you can only count best 18 scores in 4 of the first 6 rounds.
Currently also have Xerri at R3. There's a few reasons for me; bye coverage (don't like Jackson), added cash he will generate very quickly, ability to shift gawn if gawn in fact looks like a poor selection

Currently also have Xerri at R3. There's a few reasons for me; bye coverage (don't like Jackson), added cash he will generate very quickly, ability to shift gawn if gawn in fact looks like a poor selection
Other additional reasons for me;
  • Should R1 or R2 go down not having to restructure other lines to get up to English/Romo
  • Ability to use cash to make proactive trades onto premiums in other lines post their early bye
  • Less cash elsewhere means you are taking other value players over fully priced premos
  • Ability to turn Grundy & Xerri into English/RoMo should either of the first two have a poor score early in the season.

But everyone that starts Gawn will also have the ability to shift him if he goes badly? We'll just be brining in Xerri rather than presumably a $200k non playing ruck.

I think I can spend that $380k that I save by not starting Xerri at R3 in a way that generates equivalent cash to what Xerri would make and gets me points on field.

Budarick springs to mind because he's a similar price to Xerri. I've got him at D5. I'm expecting him to generate equivalent cash to Xerri and, unlike Xerri, he will be on field every week bar his bye. Also, he comes with the added bonus of already having banked that first good score to get the cash gen going.

I don't hate the Xerri play, I'm just not convinced he's going to generate that much more cash than others at a similar price point. And, if I thought he could do that, I'd personally be starting rather than benching him.

I think that's the more interesting question. If you like Xerri so much that you'll bench him, why not just start him?

I'm in same boat. Honestly leaning toward non bye guys considering how many people seem to be shifting back toward the bye players. I actually think it could give a leg up potentially
Early on it seemed a really obvious play, to avoid guys missing that extra week.

Fast forward to the end of 2024 and I can just see us again stating that this was the obvious play.
Missed games hurts. It may only be best 18 but bye weeks and best 18 are always the lowest scoring weeks.

I had a strong side last week, don't like what I currently see this week but it's more "balanced"

Round 0 may not have counted, but it showed again exactly what fantasy is, from coughing up $1mil and trusting Gulden with the C, to dreams dashed for Coleman and his ACL requiring a forced trade with mid priced dollars.

Half our planning is days away from being a "should've done this" "he was in my side all pre season"
It's not all doom and gloom, but these are the best days where nothing could go wrong with our well planned sides.

I'm less fearful of being burner by Whitfield than Heeney but since when has Whit not burned us with injury. Says a lot about the Heeney pick. Currently got Jackson instead (ruck cover for Grundy)
Haven't seen English in many sides.

But everyone that starts Gawn will also have the ability to shift him if he goes badly? We'll just be brining in Xerri rather than presumably a $200k non playing ruck.

I think I can spend that $380k that I save by not starting Xerri at R3 in a way that generates equivalent cash to what Xerri would make and gets me points on field.

Budarick springs to mind because he's a similar price to Xerri. I've got him at D5. I'm expecting him to generate equivalent cash to Xerri and, unlike Xerri, he will be on field every week bar his bye. Also, he comes with the added bonus of already having banked that first good score to get the cash gen going.

I don't hate the Xerri play, I'm just not convinced he's going to generate that much more cash than others at a similar price point. And, if I thought he could do that, I'd personally be starting rather than benching him.

I think that's the more interesting question. If you like Xerri so much that you'll bench him, why not just start him?
Just on your first point, Xerri gives me the ability to trade him down and Gawn up to a Marshall or English if Gawn fails. Doubt I’ll have that luxury without a complete restructure of my side and sometimes that sort of thing takes more than 1 week of trades

IMO I don’t think Gawn fails but it’s security essentially.

The reason I’m not fielding Xerri is because I like the value of Gawn and Grundy too much

Like you, I have Budarick at D5. To me there’s just so much value all over the place this year that having a strong R3 making coin isn’t the end of the world. He should make coin quickly as well and will help me pivot fairly early on to get any player that looks like getting out of sight if I go down this track.

I’m by no means set on starting him at R3 but the way it looks at the moment, I’m really happy with my side and only have 4 rookies on the field so shouldn’t have any issues fielding a strong team over the first byes

Early on it seemed a really obvious play, to avoid guys missing that extra week.

Fast forward to the end of 2024 and I can just see us again stating that this was the obvious play.
Missed games hurts. It may only be best 18 but bye weeks and best 18 are always the lowest scoring weeks.

I had a strong side last week, don't like what I currently see this week but it's more "balanced"

Round 0 may not have counted, but it showed again exactly what fantasy is, from coughing up $1mil and trusting Gulden with the C, to dreams dashed for Coleman and his ACL requiring a forced trade with mid priced dollars.

Half our planning is days away from being a "should've done this" "he was in my side all pre season"
It's not all doom and gloom, but these are the best days where nothing could go wrong with our well planned sides.

I'm less fearful of being burner by Whitfield than Heeney but since when has Whit not burned us with injury. Says a lot about the Heeney pick. Currently got Jackson instead (ruck cover for Grundy)
Haven't seen English in many sides.
Going to be very interesting looking back at what structured and teams and bye players worked or didn’t work. Interesting year!

That much $$ on the bench for an R3 is madness to me but each to their own I guess
I won't do it, but huge props to those who do because it flys in the face of what we're stuck with nearly every year in this game, dead cash gen from R3 (and formerly R4)

Those who can challenge the game probably have more fun than I will playing it safe.
My slightly skewed version will be going heavy in the back 6 with Williams at D6.
Also have Yeo in the mids.

Defender scores always screw me over. I'd honestly prefer to run 5 rookie mids if they're of the quality of McKercher, Sanders, Roberts, Clark, Wilson and co.

Going to be very interesting looking back at what structured and teams and bye players worked or didn’t work. Interesting year!

I'm curious given I floated this idea a while back, on who will be the loop for those choosing to go Xerri at R3?

That's the added thing here...but do we need a loop if it's only gonna be 1 round?

The other question that I ask myself, is does Xerri even make that much money?

There is a world where he only averages 70-75 as a young ruck, and then you have a cash gen play that actually achieves nothing.

It's a really interesting discussion, as those going RoMa and Grundy or English and Grundy, can essentially afford to rework their side if they wanted, and just go down to Gawn and up to Xerri (requires an extra 150K, but it's still very doable).

It'll be the most interesting play of the year, IMO, and could dictate people's seasons one way or the other - depending on whether it's successful or not.

FWIW I am running RoMo/Grundy at R1/2.

I plan to end my R3 experiment before the start of R7 (unless Xerri has just popped a monster score and I can run him another fortnight for an extra $100k). It's the quirk of 'best 18' that tips the balance into me favoring paying up at R3. If there were still early byes, but it was best 22 I don't think I would be taking this route.

I'm curious given I floated this idea a while back, on who will be the loop for those choosing to go Xerri at R3?

That's the added thing here...but do we need a loop if it's only gonna be 1 round?

The other question that I ask myself, is does Xerri even make that much money?

There is a world where he only averages 70-75 as a young ruck, and then you have a cash gen play that actually achieves nothing.

It's a really interesting discussion, as those going RoMa and Grundy or English and Grundy, can essentially afford to rework their side if they wanted, and just go down to Gawn and up to Xerri (requires an extra 150K, but it's still very doable).

It'll be the most interesting play of the year, IMO, and could dictate people's seasons one way or the other - depending on whether it's successful or not.
I don’t buy into needing a loop player. One always pops up straight off the bat every year so it’s just round 1 like you say.

IMO Xerri makes as much cash as Gawn Grundy. He’s hardly going to have a chop out, scores well as solo ruck, and his TOG should increase this year. Worst case if he does only hit 75ish and doesn’t look like scoring well, he’s an easy one up one down very early in the season

I think the majority of the comp are going Gawn Grundy so restructuring if that fails is fairly difficult. Agreed it’s easy if you start English Roma but I doubt anyone is going to want to trade them down to Gawn if they’re starting R1/R2

Definitely not my usual play. Can see pros and cons for both sides

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have Darcy Cameron at R1 so Xerri at R3 is necessary :p

Anyone else stuck on what to do with d6 or just me?

It's my only issue

Currently at wines m6 then howes d6. Reid d7, then a crappy basement d8 with no cash gen

Or

Wines to bonnar. Coffield d6, Reid d7, howes d8. Bulk cash gen, and 100k spare.

Or

Wines down and play Roberts on field
Basement rookie to Salem so Williams is d6, unload Salem at bye to daicos

Anyone else stuck on what to do with d6 or just me?

It's my only issue

Currently at wines m6 then howes d6. Reid d7, then a crappy basement d8 with no cash gen

Or

Wines to bonnar. Coffield d6, Reid d7, howes d8. Bulk cash gen, and 100k spare.

Or

Wines down and play Roberts on field
Basement rookie to Salem so Williams is d6, unload Salem at bye to daicos
I'd do option 3 as it doesn't rely on Coffield playing onfield.

I'm not convinced that Coffield is clearly best 22 with Bailey Dale, Bailey Williams, JJ, Caleb Daniel and Richards all capable of playing in his position.

I'd do option 3 as it doesn't rely on Coffield playing onfield.

I'm not convinced that Coffield is clearly best 22 with Bailey Dale, Bailey Williams, JJ, Caleb Daniel and Richards all capable of playing in his position.

Dale's currently injured, Williams spent all preseason (and most of last season) on the wing, and Daniel plays more on ball or forward of the ball. Coffield's confirmed playing this week and I think his only real competition for a spot is Buku Khamis.

Dale's currently injured, Williams spent all preseason (and most of last season) on the wing, and Daniel plays more on ball or forward of the ball. Coffield's confirmed playing this week and I think his only real competition for a spot is Buku Khamis.
Yeah, good point. I just think that Dale, Williams and Daniel all have the capacity to play in Coffield's position and can take his spot on a whim. If Coffield puts in a couple of stinkers, Bevo will find it an easy move to shift someone into his spot.

JTdCJTIydGVhbV9pZCUyMiUzQTk0NzQlMkMlMjJzYyUyMiUzQSUyMmZiJTIyJTJDJTIydCUyMiUzQSUyMjQzNzAlMjIlN0Q=

I've pretty much gone with a vanilla side which left me with $1m to spend. I've taken haircuts on Daicos, Bontempelli, Green and Flanders down to Whitfield, Butters, Steele and Heeney, and trimmed Curtin, Sharp and Mannagh, leaving me with $2.2m to spend on three players.

I've been big on LDU and Newcombe all preseason so they were the first two added, leaving me with $503k, $1k short of Budarick and needing a defender. LDU became Stewart and I was able to squeeze Budarick in.

I am tempted by Xerri at R3 but to achieve this I would have to swap Stewart / Barnett for Xerri (R3) / Schoenmaker, bringing Coffield back onto the field. I could afford to upgrade Fyfe to Wines as well but I don't think there's much to be gained in doing so. I'm not a fan of Coffield on the bench but Geelong have a pretty good early run and decent rookie defender options are yet to present themselves. There's also not much under $500k in defense (if I bring back LDU) or under $650k in the midfield. I could flick Yeo back to defense, downgrade Coffield to a rookie and swap Stewart to a midfielder but I don't really like any of the options available.

Early bye omissions are 1/3/3/1 (not including bench), which I don't think is too bad. Budarick is my only player under 10% so this feels like a fairly 'safe' side.

And what about the points lost through not having a loophole option? And why the assumption others won't better invest the 200k in other rookies?

Not buying that it's only one week for a loophole when the wce ruck has consistently late in the round games.

Last edited:
1) And what about the points lost through not having a loophole option? 2) And why the assumption others won't better invest the 200k in other rookies?

Not buying that it's only one week for a loophole when the wce ruck has consistently late in the round games.
1) Won't have a loophole for rounds 1 & 4. That's a con.
2) They may do. However they are wasting $200k of the $580k (34%) of the money I'm spending on Xerri on a red dot. So the remaining $380k would have to be spent pretty well.

In 3 of the first 4 rounds, Xerri plays before Grundy, so I can also loophole Xerri and flick Grundy if he goes massive with a 130+ score if Grundy's cash gen is stagnating.

1) Won't have a loophole for rounds 1 & 4. That's a con.
2) They may do. However they are wasting $200k of the $580k (34%) of the money I'm spending on Xerri on a red dot. So the remaining $380k would have to be spent pretty well.

In 3 of the first 4 rounds, Xerri plays before Grundy, so I can also loophole Xerri and flick Grundy if he goes massive with a 130+ score if Grundy's cash gen is stagnating.

I'm also going Xerri R3 barring any last minute craziness at selection tomorrow. What it comes down to for me is he's arguably the best midpricer in the game in terms of cash gen (or #2 if you count Grundy as a MP). He should outscore Yeo for example who is $50K more and a great pick if he stays fit.

He also provides ruck cover for the byes, and gives a war chest for post-early bye upgrades once all the premos are available following their early byes.

We'll see how it goes!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back