Teams 2024 Fantasy Rate My Pre-Season Team

Remove this Banner Ad

1) Won't have a loophole for rounds 1 & 4. That's a con.
2) They may do. However they are wasting $200k of the $580k (34%) of the money I'm spending on Xerri on a red dot. So the remaining $380k would have to be spent pretty well.

In 3 of the first 4 rounds, Xerri plays before Grundy, so I can also loophole Xerri and flick Grundy if he goes massive with a 130+ score if Grundy's cash gen is stagnating.
I think hoping for 130+ from Xerri is pretty optimistic.

Hmmm

Currently running with

Whit-Budarick-Green-Sexton from round 3 bye
Daicos-Jordan-Gawn-Heeney from the round 4 bye

I think i need to cull at least 1 from each of those

Thoughts on who you would cull?

Thinking of Daicos early bye plus has a heap of tagging teams early he is also in my mids for now making the potential player pool i can swap him to much larger
And Budarick

Hmmm

Currently running with

Whit-Budarick-Green-Sexton from round 3 bye
Daicos-Jordan-Gawn-Heeney from the round 4 bye

I think i need to cull at least 1 from each of those

Thoughts on who you would cull?

Thinking of Daicos early bye plus has a heap of tagging teams early he is also in my mids for now making the potential player pool i can swap him to much larger
And Budarick
Green. You've got two rounds (R$ & R5) to turn Heeney into Flanders, which reduces your R5 bye players from 3 to 2 (Gawn is a R6 bye).

Good thing he's priced at 64 so he doesn't need to do that to be a successful pick.

I only mentioned it because if it were to occur, it's a potential play you can make.

What does he need then? If he's a successful pick would you not want him on field?

The cash generation + the cover of points when G&G miss. Also if G/G go **** up, trade them out and bring xerri on field?

You say that as if when Grundy and Gawn miss you need a direct on-field replacement for them when it's a Best 18 scenario in which Xerri could score worse than a rookie.

Likelihood of that is very slim I’d say

In a single week, Xerri scoring 60-70 and any one of a number of rookies beating that (given its best 18 so four drop off) I'd say it's more likely than unlikely.

In a single week, Xerri scoring 60-70 and any one of a number of rookies beating that (given its best 18 so four drop off) I'd say it's more likely than unlikely.
I understand the Xerri @ R3 cash generation strategy .....and if not for all the early byes, it's definitely a play

However we do have the byes, and with best 18 .....IMHO you need as many points on-field early ....otherwise you'll fall too far behind ...particularly if you're carrying R0 players too

I disagree. People are always way too optimistic going into new years when it comes to rookies. The bulk of them will score us 40’s-60’s. Xerri should have a floor of 70 odd as solo ruck and no one capable to chop out

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I disagree. People are always way too optimistic going into new years when it comes to rookies. The bulk of them will score us 40’s-60’s. Xerri should have a floor of 70 odd as solo ruck and no one capable to chop out

Not early. Most rookies start with a reasonable level of scoring before the season wears on and their fitness base and physicality wears thin. I'd say over the first 4-5 rounds we usually get semi-reasonable scores out of them. Particularly when we have a Best 18 scenario you've basically got five chances at your bottom score.

Not early. Most rookies start with a reasonable level of scoring before the season wears on and their fitness base and physicality wears thin. I'd say over the first 4-5 rounds we usually get semi-reasonable scores out of them. Particularly when we have a Best 18 scenario you've basically got five chances at your bottom score.
Xerri isn't a random sub risk either. There is going to be a fair bit of cash gen stalling with rookies being named as sub so close to bouncedown.

If Xerri goes 90 over the first 5 games, he will make $145k. I think that is achievable given the matchups he has.

JTdCJTIydGVhbV9pZCUyMiUzQTk0NzQlMkMlMjJzYyUyMiUzQSUyMmZiJTIyJTJDJTIydCUyMiUzQSUyMjQzNzAlMjIlN0Q=

I've pretty much gone with a vanilla side which left me with $1m to spend. I've taken haircuts on Daicos, Bontempelli, Green and Flanders down to Whitfield, Butters, Steele and Heeney, and trimmed Curtin, Sharp and Mannagh, leaving me with $2.2m to spend on three players.

I've been big on LDU and Newcombe all preseason so they were the first two added, leaving me with $503k, $1k short of Budarick and needing a defender. LDU became Stewart and I was able to squeeze Budarick in.

I am tempted by Xerri at R3 but to achieve this I would have to swap Stewart / Barnett for Xerri (R3) / Schoenmaker, bringing Coffield back onto the field. I could afford to upgrade Fyfe to Wines as well but I don't think there's much to be gained in doing so. I'm not a fan of Coffield on the bench but Geelong have a pretty good early run and decent rookie defender options are yet to present themselves. There's also not much under $500k in defense (if I bring back LDU) or under $650k in the midfield. I could flick Yeo back to defense, downgrade Coffield to a rookie and swap Stewart to a midfielder but I don't really like any of the options available.

Early bye omissions are 1/3/3/1 (not including bench), which I don't think is too bad. Budarick is my only player under 10% so this feels like a fairly 'safe' side.
This is so similar to my side.

I have Reid instead of Coffield, Amon instead of Steele, Wines instead of Fyfe and Sharp instead of Duursma.

I hate missing Steele. The only query I have (for my side) is whether I take Sheezel or Steele. Currently have Sheezel.

Have finally had the chance to load up my spreadsheet with my team as things stand. Going at a 1-3-4-2 structure across these first byes, with the players being Zwilliams - Sexton/Cadman/Budarick - Roberts/Grundy/Jordon/Daicos - Howes/Campbell as my Bye players. Of those, 4 are rookies, and only one proper premo in Daicos. Think that's fine to run with, but also underlines going Rankine over Heeney in the end to not overload on that week.

Screenshot 2024-03-14 at 11.12.34 am.png

Last edited:
Agreed but there will still be rookies who absolutely s**t the bed for us in the early rounds which have the potential to hurt since all of us seem to be taking in multiple bye players by the looks of it. Plus rounds 5 and 6 is when taking Xerri’s score comes into play.

For me, the difference in my team between having Xerri at R3 or not, is Whitfield down to Yeo. I’m ok to run the risk of scoring differential in the early parts of the season if it means I get ruck back up in rounds 5 and 6 which could almost negate that difference (best laid plans and all…). The plan post round 6 would be an easy flip of Xerri to a basement rookie which would net a lot of cash. Probably around 500-550k or so

It’s definitely not a play I’d normally make but this isn’t a normal season

1) Won't have a loophole for rounds 1 & 4. That's a con.
2) They may do. However they are wasting $200k of the $580k (34%) of the money I'm spending on Xerri on a red dot. So the remaining $380k would have to be spent pretty well.

In 3 of the first 4 rounds, Xerri plays before Grundy, so I can also loophole Xerri and flick Grundy if he goes massive with a 130+ score if Grundy's cash gen is stagnating.
Yeah I like your rationale Corintheocean. I'm doing the same. Leg up as everyone is saying it's too much cash on the bench. He could easily average 90-100 as sole ruck. Wosrt case if he averages 70-75 it's an easy downgrade and upgrade elsewhere.

I'm putting a dead rook as utility R/F so i can loop if Xerri goes nuts but can also loop Bench forwards if they go big. Think the points gained outweighs cash for one rookie.

This is so similar to my side.

I have Reid instead of Coffield, Amon instead of Steele, Wines instead of Fyfe and Sharp instead of Duursma.

I hate missing Steele. The only query I have (for my side) is whether I take Sheezel or Steele. Currently have Sheezel.
It's funny how I've landed here because I hate Fyfe in the midfield but I literally deleted my team, picked the most picked players, trimmed the fat and added players I thought represented better value and this is where I've landed. If I do put Fyfe back forward, Wilson or Reid likely make way for Roberts on field.

Sharp is an interesting one and on my watch list for this weekend. I'm taking the approach this season that noone is safe so if Sharp (or even Simpson is selected and) pops, I'll be on them like white on rice, which will unlock some options for me.

I haven't played Fantasy in about 10 yrs - any glaring issues? I'm a little suss on D'Ambrosio, good preseason but might not get a game off the bat. 90k in the bank.

View attachment 1927311
Looks solid. What do you think of Sicily's chances to replicate last year's performance?

Is Barnett an intentional red dot? If not, Windsor can make you some money in that position. I don't mind a loop option with that many rookies though.

Looks solid. What do you think of Sicily's chances to replicate last year's performance?

Is Barnett an intentional red dot? If not, Windsor can make you some money in that position. I don't mind a loop option with that many rookies though.

Good shout on Barnett - if he isn’t slated to play early I might as well chuck Windsor in.

And re Sicily - even with Blanck going down I still think he’ll play his role where he can peel off and intercept. Our team will suffer with Frost playing but I don’t think it’ll impact Sic’s scoring

Remove this Banner Ad

Back