List Mgmt. 2024 Father Son watch MKIII. Operation Ashcroft jnr. Featuring various academy boys.

Remove this Banner Ad

No idea, don't know the kid - but have followed him a bit since he joined QAFL ranks a few years back. Reckon he would be on a list now if he hadn't broken his arm in 2020 and had a few injury troubles last 18 months.

Would think if Lions don't take him as a rookie, he either stays with them in VFL or moves to SANFL?

Also don't personally know the kid, but basically means what it means. A bit 'loose'. Might enjoy a drink or two (hardly alone there) and that 'may' impair his off field decision making from time to time if you know what I mean.

Plenty of ratbags have had pretty good footy careers.

Well that would be Arnold, and he isn't AFL standard in my humble. Not good enough. I'd be looking at Greene for sure, medium sized lock down defender that can play tall or small.
Gotcha now, regardless of what he is like though, I don’t understand the reasoning around picking up ANOTHER small forward in general, like it seems that we are pretty stocked up on small forwards and half-backs at the club.

The only logic I could possibly think of choosing him is that the club don’t rate Blake Coleman that much (even though he had an interrupted pre-season last year) and we would replace his spot at our club for an emerging/mature tall defender after 2023, in either the trade or draft setting.

yeah who knows.

Pescud is an elite talent, but you are flush with players in that role.

Greene is a unique player, but is definitely undersized and doesn't have the skills for a player of his size - but at the end of the day, he will beat an opponent most times you play him on someone, and thats a unique skillset.

AFL Draft news 2022: All the stories, rumours and analysis in the leadup to the national draft​

Will Ashcroft sacrificed being the one pick in this year’s draft by nominating as a father son pick with Brisbane, but despite striving to be the best, he has no regrets.

Will Ashcroft doesn’t like to finish second.
A driven individual and footballer who will stop at nothing to get the best out of himself, he has long had one eye on being the No. 1 draft pick this year.
“It’s every kid’s dream to be that No. 1 pick as a junior,” Will said.
“That’s what you’re aspiring to be. I think if that was to come that it would be a credit to the work I have put in and how I’ve performed this year. But I don’t think it’s the be all and end all. Being at Brisbane is where I want to be.”

Will’s decision to nominate as a father-son to the Lions earlier this year is the only reason why he is not expected to be the first name read out in Monday night’s draft.

Had he stayed on the open market, the prolific ball-winning midfielder would have been the No. 1 pick for any club in the competition – just like Carlton’s Sam Walsh was in 2018.
Walsh came through the underage system at the same time Will’s father, Marcus, was working for the AFL as its National Talent Pathways Manager.
“Sam was just ultra-professional and did absolutely everything in his power to get the best out of himself,” Marcus said.
“I think that’s what Will does. He tries not to leave anything to chance. Credit to him, because the game’s never been harder. You need to control everything in your power and do the best you can. That’s exactly the way Sam prepared himself for every training session and every game. That’s the one trait that really stands out between those two.”

A three-time premiership player with Brisbane, Marcus has tried to be anything but a pushy parent.
He did not spend endless hours trying to convince Will to follow in his footsteps and nominate as a father-son for the Lions, where he enjoyed a decorated 318-game career.
“That was left in his court mainly,” Marcus said.

“He’s been around footy clubs most of his life – Brisbane when he was really young when I had an off-field role there and then Gold Coast when I had an off-field role there. He’s a pretty level-headed young man and you let them make their own choices.
“I’m one of those dads that’s always caring and supportive, as is (Will’s mother) Bekky. But we let them make their own decisions.”
Will lived in Queensland until age 15, before moving to Melbourne and finishing his schooling at Brighton Grammar last year.
He has spent this year studying business and sports management at Deakin University, as well as working on a side project.
His own business – WASH Performance and Wellbeing – is set to launch with a website and social media accounts next Tuesday.
“The key pillars are around training and elite performance, nutrition, mental application, wellbeing, life balance and leadership,” Will said.
“I’m just coming out of the pathway and all the content is what I do and what makes me tick. It’s not necessarily a business early on, but more so a platform and a community where I can tell my story and people can take however much they want and apply that to themselves to get to their own goals.
“I want to give back a little bit of what I know now and what I’ll continue to learn over the journey.”
Will has already been completing a training program provided by Brisbane since he finished a season where he did it all.
The 18-year-old captained Vic Metro to victory in the under-18 national championships and took out the Larke Medal as the best and fairest player of the tournament.
He was best-on-ground for the Sandringham Dragons as he led them to the NAB League premiership and was named skipper of that competition’s Team of the Year.
There were also three impressive VFL appearances for the Lions, with Will polling the maximum three votes in the JJ Liston Trophy count as best afield in one of those games.
“I had a pretty good year individually but it is a credit to all the people that are around me and all my teammates,” Will said.
“There’s a list of people who have helped me get to where I am.
“I’m really looking forward to hopefully trying to come into the senior side (at Brisbane) straight away next year and playing and following after dad.”
Part of the decision making around nominating as a father-son for Brisbane surrounded the future of Will’s younger brother, Levi.

He shapes as another highly-rated father-son prospect in two years’ time, paving the way for the two brothers to play together at AFL level – just as they did in six NAB League games for the Dragons this year.
“When you watch them play together, they’re so protective,” Marcus said.
“But in the backyard when they’re against each other, they’re the total opposite. I think that’s the benefit of being the younger brother. You have to step up or the game doesn’t go ahead and Levi certainly did that.”
Levi was an All-Australian as an under-16 this year and is already attracting plenty of attention from Brisbane.

“He’s his own man and he’ll go through the process like I did,” Will said.
“But I think if that did happen and he was to go down that path as well it would be a dream come true.”

AFL Draft news 2022: All the stories, rumours and analysis in the leadup to the national draft​

Will Ashcroft sacrificed being the one pick in this year’s draft by nominating as a father son pick with Brisbane, but despite striving to be the best, he has no regrets.

Will Ashcroft doesn’t like to finish second.
A driven individual and footballer who will stop at nothing to get the best out of himself, he has long had one eye on being the No. 1 draft pick this year.
“It’s every kid’s dream to be that No. 1 pick as a junior,” Will said.
“That’s what you’re aspiring to be. I think if that was to come that it would be a credit to the work I have put in and how I’ve performed this year. But I don’t think it’s the be all and end all. Being at Brisbane is where I want to be.”

Will’s decision to nominate as a father-son to the Lions earlier this year is the only reason why he is not expected to be the first name read out in Monday night’s draft.

Had he stayed on the open market, the prolific ball-winning midfielder would have been the No. 1 pick for any club in the competition – just like Carlton’s Sam Walsh was in 2018.
Walsh came through the underage system at the same time Will’s father, Marcus, was working for the AFL as its National Talent Pathways Manager.
“Sam was just ultra-professional and did absolutely everything in his power to get the best out of himself,” Marcus said.
“I think that’s what Will does. He tries not to leave anything to chance. Credit to him, because the game’s never been harder. You need to control everything in your power and do the best you can. That’s exactly the way Sam prepared himself for every training session and every game. That’s the one trait that really stands out between those two.”

A three-time premiership player with Brisbane, Marcus has tried to be anything but a pushy parent.
He did not spend endless hours trying to convince Will to follow in his footsteps and nominate as a father-son for the Lions, where he enjoyed a decorated 318-game career.
“That was left in his court mainly,” Marcus said.

“He’s been around footy clubs most of his life – Brisbane when he was really young when I had an off-field role there and then Gold Coast when I had an off-field role there. He’s a pretty level-headed young man and you let them make their own choices.
“I’m one of those dads that’s always caring and supportive, as is (Will’s mother) Bekky. But we let them make their own decisions.”
Will lived in Queensland until age 15, before moving to Melbourne and finishing his schooling at Brighton Grammar last year.
He has spent this year studying business and sports management at Deakin University, as well as working on a side project.
His own business – WASH Performance and Wellbeing – is set to launch with a website and social media accounts next Tuesday.
“The key pillars are around training and elite performance, nutrition, mental application, wellbeing, life balance and leadership,” Will said.
“I’m just coming out of the pathway and all the content is what I do and what makes me tick. It’s not necessarily a business early on, but more so a platform and a community where I can tell my story and people can take however much they want and apply that to themselves to get to their own goals.
“I want to give back a little bit of what I know now and what I’ll continue to learn over the journey.”
Will has already been completing a training program provided by Brisbane since he finished a season where he did it all.
The 18-year-old captained Vic Metro to victory in the under-18 national championships and took out the Larke Medal as the best and fairest player of the tournament.
He was best-on-ground for the Sandringham Dragons as he led them to the NAB League premiership and was named skipper of that competition’s Team of the Year.
There were also three impressive VFL appearances for the Lions, with Will polling the maximum three votes in the JJ Liston Trophy count as best afield in one of those games.
“I had a pretty good year individually but it is a credit to all the people that are around me and all my teammates,” Will said.
“There’s a list of people who have helped me get to where I am.
“I’m really looking forward to hopefully trying to come into the senior side (at Brisbane) straight away next year and playing and following after dad.”
Part of the decision making around nominating as a father-son for Brisbane surrounded the future of Will’s younger brother, Levi.

He shapes as another highly-rated father-son prospect in two years’ time, paving the way for the two brothers to play together at AFL level – just as they did in six NAB League games for the Dragons this year.
“When you watch them play together, they’re so protective,” Marcus said.
“But in the backyard when they’re against each other, they’re the total opposite. I think that’s the benefit of being the younger brother. You have to step up or the game doesn’t go ahead and Levi certainly did that.”
Levi was an All-Australian as an under-16 this year and is already attracting plenty of attention from Brisbane.

“He’s his own man and he’ll go through the process like I did,” Will said.
“But I think if that did happen and he was to go down that path as well it would be a dream come true.”

Music to mine ears.

Cal Twomey's 2022 Phantom Draft: Top 30, late picks, club whispers

Picks: 34, 35, 36, 38, 55 (likely to use three or four selections)

There's been two factors in the Lions' preparation for this year's draft: finding enough draft picks (and points) to match bids on father-son pair Will Ashcroftand Jaspa Fletcher, and then finding some back-end players to assess for a third selection late in the draft. Brisbane is set to follow the Western Bulldogs' plan from last year, when they were matching a No.2 bid on Sam Darcy by doing a pick swap as the draft gates open on Monday night, likely with North Melbourne for more points. They could also look to trade for points with Hawthorn. James Van Es and Hugh Davies are among the possible key backs who could be in the zone late in the draft where the Lions' third pick comes in, while versatile small Jed Hagan is another possibility, as is Hugh Bond if he gets through. Brisbane doesn't have Academy access to forward Shadeau Brain, as he hasn't lived in the zone long enough, but they do have first call on him as a state-based player in the rookie draft if he is available then. They have signed Darryl McDowell-White, the son of triple premiership defender Darryl, as a category B rookie.

Cal Twomey's 2022 Phantom Draft: Top 30, late picks, club whispers

Picks: 34, 35, 36, 38, 55 (likely to use three or four selections)

There's been two factors in the Lions' preparation for this year's draft: finding enough draft picks (and points) to match bids on father-son pair Will Ashcroftand Jaspa Fletcher, and then finding some back-end players to assess for a third selection late in the draft. Brisbane is set to follow the Western Bulldogs' plan from last year, when they were matching a No.2 bid on Sam Darcy by doing a pick swap as the draft gates open on Monday night, likely with North Melbourne for more points. They could also look to trade for points with Hawthorn. James Van Es and Hugh Davies are among the possible key backs who could be in the zone late in the draft where the Lions' third pick comes in, while versatile small Jed Hagan is another possibility, as is Hugh Bond if he gets through. Brisbane doesn't have Academy access to forward Shadeau Brain, as he hasn't lived in the zone long enough, but they do have first call on him as a state-based player in the rookie draft if he is available then. They have signed Darryl McDowell-White, the son of triple premiership defender Darryl, as a category B rookie.
How are Twomey’s suggested late picks possible - we don’t have the requisite list spot do we?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

yeah We have list spots available with Us taking 5 picks to the pretty sure means we have 5 list spots available

Two of those slots are probably used to re-rookie Cockatoo and Lester though (we have five list spots available across both national and rookie drafts). So it's only three slots (Ashcroft, Fletcher, McKenna) and a category B rookie.

Two of those slots are probably used to re-rookie Cockatoo and Lester though (we have five list spots available across both national and rookie drafts). So it's only three slots (Ashcroft, Fletcher, McKenna) and a category B rookie.
Yep, I get the same - 38 contracted players (33 senior + 5 rookie) of 42 list spots (36-38 senior + 6-4 rookies) plus Ashcroft, Fletcher, Madden upgrade and McKenna leaves us full barring the Category B slot that Madden leaves behind.

Yep, I get the same - 38 contracted players (33 senior + 5 rookie) of 42 list spots (36-38 senior + 6-4 rookies) plus Ashcroft, Fletcher, Madden upgrade and McKenna leaves us full barring the Category B slot that Madden leaves behind.
So Twomey has got it wrong?

OUT

McStay
E. smith
Robbo
T Berry
Cox (R)
Uosis (R)
Lester
McFadyen
Cockatoo
Madden (R) 10 players

IN

Gunston
Dunkley
Ashcroft
Fletcher
Madden
Lester (R)
Cockatoo (R)
McDowell-White (R)
McKenna. 9 players

one spot available

How are Twomey’s suggested late picks possible - we don’t have the requisite list spot do we?
And Conole said that we'd be done after two selections at the draft.

Is McKenna eligible to be listed as a Cat B rookie?

And Conole said that we'd be done after two selections at the draft.

Is McKenna eligible to be listed as a Cat B rookie?

You can't have been registered or played in an Australian football in the three years prior to being added to the cat B rookie list via the alternate talent pathway. I assume McKenna was still registered to play for Essendon until the end of 2020, so he wouldn't qualify I'd think. Doesn't qualify as an international cat B rookie because you can't have lived in Australia for a "substantial period of time".

OUT

McStay
E. smith
Robbo
T Berry
Cox (R)
Uosis (R)
Lester
McFadyen
Cockatoo
Madden (R) 10 players

IN

Gunston
Dunkley
Ashcroft
Fletcher
Madden
Lester (R)
Cockatoo (R)
McDowell-White (R)
McKenna. 9 players

one spot available

For a category B rookie (you've got two category Bs going out and one category B coming in so far).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back