List Mgmt. 2024 Father Son watch MKIII. Operation Ashcroft jnr. Featuring various academy boys.

Remove this Banner Ad

I caught the end of the second quarter and the second half.

Levi was prominent with a few clearances and plenty of possessions. He loves the one two like his brother at that level. I think it was him involved in a long chain of handball for most of the length of the ground that didn’t get the goal it deserved. He kicked one goal that I saw and they mentioned he’d had 31 (?) possessions late in the final quarter. He looks a great prospect.

Sam Marshall had a few disposals that I saw but was not one of the best on.

I watched most of the first half and I agree Marshall didn't get a ton of it, but he did seemed composed with his disposals when he did get it. Spent a bit time on the wing and did a fair bit of unrewarded running from what I saw.

Jesus this academy team is strong.
I don't believe the top end is as strong as other recent teams. I do believe the depth of this academy team is stronger than recent teams. Some of that is due to a couple of the top end prospects missing due to injuries, and a couple of the standout early season performers being added to the team as replacements.

Just my opinion.
So you agree then?

So you agree then?
Not really.

Just my opinion again, but the top end talent of this team is a fair way behind other recent teams.

Didn’t help that possibly the two best mids missed the game due to injury, and the WA boys didn’t even come over.

Skills/kicking for most of the talked up top end mids that were out there left a lot to be desired.

Just on that, how did the Carlton twins go? Have they got what us n the pies got - gun brothers?
No. They're more outside mids, winger types. Not as composed or good kicks.

Still playing SANFL colts, which is usually a sign that they're not top tier talents.

Lukosius and Rankine were playing SANFL seniors at 16, JHF, Thilthorpe at 17.

ahhh shizzen, I thought we were talking about the national academy team that played today.
giphy-8-1.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Part of an article from the Herald Sun. Good news all round.

Son of a gun set to join brother​

All signs point to Brisbane securing No.1 draft pick contender Levi Ashcroft despite him waiting until later in the year to commit to the club.

Brother Will last week joined training for the first time since his ACL tear and is on track for a return about round 10.

The Lions are confident there is no reason Levi won’t want to play alongside Will after recently joining the Hemisphere stable alongside his brother.

Sister Lucy, still some years from draft eligibility, is considered a future AFLW star who also excels in netball and athletics while also taking part in Lions academy programs.

Brisbane has its cap in excellent position and has space for both of its free agents in Hugh McCluggage and Jarrod Berry.

Rivals will offer McCluggage deals of up to $1.3 million but he wants to stay so it would take a huge breakdown in talks for him to leave.

Big win, no details...

I went to the game.

The Lions team this year are as good as they've ever been at u18 level (granted, they have a few 19 year olds (though McDonald and Meakin were left out for this reason)

With Mitch Hahn also the Allies coach, they wll have strong representation in the Allies. Though I think the Suns are similar strength, but recent results wouldn't show it due to a few injuries.

Lions have whacked both the Suns and Giants though.

Annable, Gilder, Gillet, Gallop, Fazldeen and Fry would be good chances as would a bottom ager in Bridge.

I went to the game.

The Lions team this year are as good as they've ever been at u18 level (granted, they have a few 19 year olds (though McDonald and Meakin were left out for this reason)

With Mitch Hahn also the Allies coach, they wll have strong representation in the Allies. Though I think the Suns are similar strength, but recent results wouldn't show it due to a few injuries.

Lions have whacked both the Suns and Giants though.

Annable, Gilder, Gillet, Gallop, Fazldeen and Fry would be good chances as would a bottom ager in Bridge.
How is Raphael Geesu going Miller?

I went to the game.

Lions have whacked both the Suns Swans and Giants though.

Annable is bottom age as well. Looks like he's taller than last year, from the two games I've watched this year.

I'll admit I wasn't overly impressed by the overall skills of the academy team, but the Swans and Giants teams look particularly weak.

Wouldn't be surprised if the Suns and Lions contribute the most kids to this years Allies team. But, I have no idea how many NSW riverina kids are playing for Murray this year.

The high possession winner on the day for the Academy team. Ashcroft split his time between midfield and half forward and provided a critical avenue for moving the footy through one two's and possession chains.

Hey noob if you had to pick one who do you think is the better player at the same age Levi or Will?

Hey noob if you had to pick one who do you think is the better player at the same age Levi or Will?
Will quite clearly for me, although Levi has a lot of excellent qualities himself.

Will was more dynamic at this level. He was able to win the ball at stoppage and burst forward creating separation into dangerous space to deliver an attacking ball. I'm not saying he was always attacking and direct, but he would take that option when available and it was often available to him. Levi has some burst but less than Will. He looks to offload to a teammate quickly if he wins a stoppage, and will make intelligent movements to separate from his marker first and find an attacking channel before going direct.

Levi has more consistently hit the scoreboard than Will. I think Will is a pure midfielder, whereas it wouldn't surprise me if Levi ends up as a high half forward.

Anyway, I'd have to give it more thought to go deeper. Others may disagree.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back