Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Another mid is the last thing we need. Especially without seeing if he has lost any place.
We need A-grade mids.

I’m just not sure Smith is that. He’s a poor kick, poor defensively and can get lost in the middle.

Does have speed and aerobic capacity. Did get big numbers with the dogs but the also share the ball around a lot and I doubt he’d get similar numbers with our mids around him.

I feel a later (10+) first rounder is his worth and we don’t have that currently

i think buying into Bailey Smith at his lowest possible value is good business. bit of risk that he turns out like O'Meara but his market is nowhere near as hot and we are a significantly less appealing destination for stars now than we were immediately post-threepeat. attracting players as good as Smith is really rare when ur a bottom 4 team, and i think it's an opportunity teams don't mind slightly overpaying for.

he is the perfect age profile and has a play style that seems like it would fit way better under Sam than it does under Bevo. imo he's the logical final piece to our midfield and i don't think u need to sacrifice improving our KPD stocks to bring him in. as long as the price is nothing crazy i think he would be a great addition to our 2025 side

Our list is messy in terms of A grade talent in both KP and the midfield. To say we don't need mids is a long way off the reality.
I think we are one mid short - but they need to be an absolute star - burst player, who can win the ball but is more happy on the outside - we get killed on the outside and need players with speed and skill to fill that void - we really don't need any more inside mids

How do we find pick 15ish for Smith (hypothetically)… Worpel?

Please no one jump down my throat, this is a hypothetical in a hypothetical thread. Worps is one of our only players around that round in a trade and not sure how else we’d get something near that value.

We have very little in the way of draft capital next year. Currently pick 2 (which I think we should keep) and then pick 26.
Only way to improve our position is to trade someone out with possibly pick 26 and try to get another first round pick.

Not gonna say I'm against a top 3-4 midfielder in this draft! No way. Though there are a few kp potentials that are performing quite well ATM. Smith? Future first or gtfo. The dogs have lost their strong hand last of season unfortunately ( for them) . This year's draft should be " Untouchable"!

Please no one jump down my throat, this is a hypothetical in a hypothetical thread. Worps is one of our only players around that round in a trade and not sure how else we’d get something near that value.
I'm of the opinion when/if we're challenging for a flag I don't think we can have both Nash and Worpel as 50% of our CBA's. If you can turn either one of them into Smith I wouldn't complain.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One of Worpel or Nash will have to be moved on to make room, IMO. Presumably Worpel would be worth more in a trade, especially based on this season's form so far.

I'm a bit confused with the strong future 1st or gtfo views I keep reading, like that's a good deal...

Isn't that more than likely a top 5 pick for next year? That's overs surely?

We can't be giving away top 5 picks where the elite talent sits. Need another way to land Smith.

The Lions pick is the one, especially if they continue to struggle.
They have close to number1 pick as father son.

Suns probably have 3 more first round players to stuff their stockings with. Also a good target.
A good target if we had the right draft capital but we don’t currently.
all we have is pies r2 and then nothing until Sydney and Carlton’s r4 picks. We would need to get multiple second or third round picks to be able to do those transactions. Tigers in the box seat for those picks but many other sides have hands that could be used to package up better than ours. We are up against it unless we trade our f1 IMO.
Suns already hold 8/10/20/26/30 so well placed for bid matching. They will be prepared to trade one or both of their firsts but it won’t be for later picks so that’s where our future first might be a winning idea. They may be willing to give both firsts for pies 2nd our f1 and something else like a future pick swap.
Lions need to trade their first given Levi Ashcroft and only have 44/58 so would be keen for multiple second and thirds.
Tigers best placed for that with 2x2nd 3x3rd and 3x4ths so I think we need to go chips in on the suns.

I'm a bit confused with the strong future 1st or gtfo views I keep reading, like that's a good deal...

Isn't that more than likely a top 5 pick for next year? That's overs surely?

We can't be giving away top 5 picks where the elite talent sits. Need another way to land Smith.
The sensible proposal is to trade our f1 (see my post just now) with the suns to get their 2 firsts then use one for smith and one for a draftee on top of our r1 this year.

The sensible proposal is to trade our f1 (see my post just now) with the suns to get their 2 firsts then use one for smith and one for a draftee on top of our r1 this year.
This makes sense and can see the reasoning. Effectively Smith and two 1st round picks this year. Sounds good!

Geez I'm still uncomfortable with giving up a future first though! The thought of having another poor year ladder wise, without access to the top top elite talent will keep me up at night!

Last edited:
And when we are bottom four next year and can't even look forward to the draft then what?

We start supporting Norf is we can celebrate all of our top end draft picks?

2025 is next year, if we aquire Smith + 2 firsts this year by trading out next years. it may even propel us up the ladder next year. It may not and we may have to trade back into the first round or wait for our second round pick.

At some stage the club will have to take a calculated risk, by bringing in more proven mature players, or we run the risk of players wanting to leave for more success elsewhere.

This makes sense and can see the reasoning.

Geez I'm still uncomfortable with giving up a future first though! The thought of having another poor year ladder wise, without access to the top top elite talent will keep me up at night!
Can’t have it both ways though. We can’t buy picks yet so we have to trade for them or trade players and we have very few players with top end currency. Or accept our lot but our draft hand other than pick 2 is weak and despite finishing so low we have a worse hand than many other clubs. I’m hoping we get aggressive this seems like a strong first round. Hopefully a good MSD pick plus an early ND pick a father son and a free agent like battle that sounds ok to me. Or add Bailey smith and Harry Ofarrell and I’m over the moon!

Can’t have it both ways though. We can’t buy picks yet so we have to trade for them or trade players and we have very few players with top end currency. Or accept our lot but our draft hand other than pick 2 is weak and despite finishing so low we have a worse hand than many other clubs. I’m hoping we get aggressive this seems like a strong first round. Hopefully a good MSD pick plus an early ND pick a father son and a free agent like battle that sounds ok to me. Or add Bailey smith and Harry Ofarrell and I’m over the moon!

Maybe our Pies 2nd rounder + a player* could net us a mid to late first rounder that we could use on Smith. I imagine we try going down this path or similar in the first instance

* Obviously not as easy as I've made it sound

I think if we could lure Battle as a FA, trade for Smith without losing this years first would be a huge win for us. Obtaining a F/S would be icing on the cake. We really need to be aggressive this year, in bringing in top end talent.

I’m all for Smith if he comes at the right price, but Smith isn’t the best of kicks and we already have Worpel and Nash who also aren’t.

Smith would be adding to this and it’s something we need to improve on our skill level in there if we want to move up the ladder.

I think if we could lure Battle as a FA, trade for Smith without losing this years first would be a huge win for us. Obtaining a F/S would be icing on the cake. We really need to be aggressive this year, in bringing in top end talent.

Not at the Risk but of losing a top 5 pick if thats what we have, we need generational talent which comes in the first few picks.

Look what Reid has done to WC’s midfield.

Our midfield is very same same I feel hopefully we can do something to mix it up in there.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back