Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Can I go probably too early for a wish-list?

Mac Andrew - solves our KPD issues for 10 years. Will become an excellent player. 20 yrs old 202 cm. Never kicked a goal.
Has significant baggage but will back Hawthorn in. OOC 2025

Eddie Ford - Honestly, this guy can play. In a rabble of a team with zero training standards or discipline. Gunston replacement. 21 yrs old, 189 cm 24.8 goals in 28 games. Huge upside. OOC at end of year.

Max Gruzewski - a very promising key forward - behind a fair few guys and would get more opportunity here. Kicked 13.8 in the VFL this season. Still only 19. Under Contact though.

Ford should be easy to do - Andrew, well GCS will want a player not a pick I'd have thought, so could be an issue. Max - you'd think a selection of picks would get this done, depending on how hard a bargain GWS drive.

Any one of these 3 would solve a problem, 2 would be a dream - all 3, and that's the perfect trade period right there.

Thoughts?
All in on Mac Andrew, Hardwick isn’t an idiot though so I don’t see that ever happening now

Without betraying confidences or throwing someone under the bus - what were the main gripes?

Game plan?

Man-Management?

Thanks mate
As SSSSS said it was part player management, uncertainty around the reasons for the handover and the positive messages from the boys who had played at VFL level under Sam.

Can I go probably too early for a wish-list?

Mac Andrew - solves our KPD issues for 10 years. Will become an excellent player. 20 yrs old 202 cm. Never kicked a goal.
Has significant baggage but will back Hawthorn in. OOC 2025

Eddie Ford - Honestly, this guy can play. In a rabble of a team with zero training standards or discipline. Gunston replacement. 21 yrs old, 189 cm 24.8 goals in 28 games. Huge upside. OOC at end of year.

Max Gruzewski - a very promising key forward - behind a fair few guys and would get more opportunity here. Kicked 13.8 in the VFL this season. Still only 19. Under Contact though.

Ford should be easy to do - Andrew, well GCS will want a player not a pick I'd have thought, so could be an issue. Max - you'd think a selection of picks would get this done, depending on how hard a bargain GWS drive.

Any one of these 3 would solve a problem, 2 would be a dream - all 3, and that's the perfect trade period right there.

Thoughts?
Andrew would require a farm to get, financially and cost us more draft capital than we have.

Gruzewski would be a great get and I don't think would actually cost us an arm and a leg

Ford is a very neat player- he's also a massive antagonist- him, Wiz and Ginni would be arguably the most annoying fleet any team would come up against.

What do you think we'd have to pay for each?

Andrew would require a farm to get, financially and cost us more draft capital than we have.

Gruzewski would be a great get and I don't think would actually cost us an arm and a leg

Ford is a very neat player- he's also a massive antagonist- him, Wiz and Ginni would be arguably the most annoying fleet any team would come up against.

What do you think we'd have to pay for each?

Guessing.

Ford is OOC - North haven't much bargaining. Do a deal for Harry Morrison maybe

Max - 2nd rounder this year plus maybe swap future picks 2nd round for 3rd round?

Andrew - Dunno mate - if he wants to come down, well we just get it done. GCS don't need picks so a player - I can only think they are light on for a genuine winger.
Hate to say it - CJ. We have enough HBF's to let him go and Mac Andrew would be FB for a decade. Maybe the climate up North would help with injuries.

Ford and Gruzewski are gettable.

Guessing.

Max - 2nd rounder this year plus maybe swap future picks 2nd round for 3rd round?
How is it you reckon we get Gruzewski so cheap?

What's your thinking there?

Guessing.

Andrew - Dunno mate - if he wants to come down, well we just get it done. GCS don't need picks so a player - I can only think they are light on for a genuine winger.
Hate to say it - CJ. We have enough HBF's to let him go and Mac Andrew would be FB for a decade. Maybe the climate up North would help with injuries.

F1, pick 4 for Andrew, 8 & 9

Guessing.

would rather retain Morrison if I'm honest- Ford is going to be a good baller for a long time, but I still prefer Morrison for his versatility.

Second for Max plus the swaps would be a steal imo- my main reason for not being sure on that is I'd like to think that we'll figure out a way to nab the Whitlock twins in the draft somehow.

I reckon Mac is out of our reach at this point- would absolutely give up our first and then some for him- picks 8/9 coming back our way would be incredible

How is it you reckon we get Gruzewski so cheap?

What's your thinking there?

I think he want's to play AFL not VFL so gettable.

2024 2nd rounder and 2025 2nd for their third - I just don't see GWS playing hardball when they have a good forward line.
He was a pick in the 30's wasn't he?

Hasn't made the seniors yet. Not sure how much more they could ask for him on that basis, If he wants to go.

Nice problem to have!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think he want's to play AFL not VFL so gettable.

2024 2nd rounder and 2025 2nd for their third - I just don't see GWS playing hardball when they have a good forward line.
He was a pick in the 30's wasn't he?

Hasn't made the seniors yet. Not sure how much more they could ask for him on that basis, If he wants to go.

Nice problem to have!
Max was first pick of the second round a few years back. A pick in the 20s is plenty for a guy not playing seniors.
I haven’t seen anything from the whitlocks that make me want them so far. And Davo one of our draft experts has Jack at 15 and Matt at 39. Matt kicked 5 in his brothers absence but 3 were over the back from the goal square. Dropped most marks not impressive for mine. Harry Ofarrell is the KP we need IMO and I know Davo likes Shanahan.

View attachment 1990007
The thought of Bailey Smith being a Hawk in 2025 and beyond makes me salivate at the mouth 🤤 Could be an absolute superstar in Sam's system. His performance in that 2021 Semi-Final is enough alone to make me say to myself that we cannot pass up the opportunity to get a player of his calibre, no matter what it takes (so long as what it takes doesn't include derailing the future). I would easily give up our first pick this year (or if we split it), even in a draft where it seems there will be star mids galore, because I believe Bailey Smith is that good of a player.
Tony Hall was already one of the best players in the comp and only getting better before his Hawks teammate (oh the horror) brought him down in a State Game and he did his ACL. He was not the same player when he came back.

Yes, injury recovery has greatly improved. But Bailey may not be the player post-ACL that he was pre-ACL.

Your post should say, I believe Bailey Smith was that good of a player, and I think he can get back to that.

Tony Hall was already one of the best players in the comp and only getting better before his Hawks teammate (oh the horror) brought him down in a State Game and he did his ACL. He was not the same player when he came back.

Yes, injury recovery has greatly improved. But Bailey may not be the player post-ACL that he was pre-ACL.

Your post should say, I believe Bailey Smith was that good of a player, and I think he can get back to that.
An ACL recovery from 30 years ago has about as much relevance to Smith’s rehab as what you ate for breakfast.

An ACL recovery from 30 years ago has about as much relevance to Smith’s rehab as what you ate for breakfast.
My breakfast was eggs, bacon and Milo… and my comment’s intent stands. Bailey Smiths value dropped the moment he went down with an ACL.

If you want more recent examples … I can provide.

Last edited:
My breakfast was eggs, bacon and Milo… and my comment’s intent stands. Bailey Smiths value dropped the moment he went down with an ACL.

If you want more recent examples … I can provide.

How much do you believe his value has dropped?

Off the top of my head I'm considering Sicily, Liberatore, Petracca, Taylor Walker who tore ACL's and returned to dominate the competition.

Probably a bunch more.

The sports science and recovery programs are first class now. It still takes 12 months, but the majority of players return just as good or better than they were before.

I have not seen the lad play much at all but I saw in recent game clips he made two horrible clangers that cost goals.

I’m talking frost at his worst sort of clangers.
He’s very raw but for me you can’t watch him without seeing huge upside. Different player completely but he’s has that buddy raw talent that everyone was just like wow, he’s gonna be some player.

How much do you believe his value has dropped?

Off the top of my head I'm considering Sicily, Liberatore, Petracca, Taylor Walker who tore ACL's and returned to dominate the competition.

Probably a bunch more.

The sports science and recovery programs are first class now. It still takes 12 months, but the majority of players return just as good or better than they were before.
From my perspective, regardless on how good sport science has progressed there is "significant doubt" ;) as to how he may come back and hence we should pay much less then if he hadn't done it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back