List Mgmt. 2024 List Management discussion

Prediction- Who is delisted this year(not retirements).

• Berry

• McCluggage

• Lyons

• McCarthy

• Answerth

• Lane

• Prior

• Madden

• Lester

• Joyce

• Zorko

• Michael

• Brain

• Reville

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes.

We traded a second round pick + Gunston for a player who was a mid season rookie pick 5 months earlier. (Who we then gave a 3 year contract to).
You are conveniently leaving everything else out that the Lions got back on the trade.

I will stick by my first assessment that on the whole Ryan cost us "basically nothing."
Regarding Ryans 3-year deal, it was most likely less or not much more than the year remaining on Gunstons 12 months contract.
Can't find anything on the reported salary Gunston was paid coming to the Lions but it would have been more than the 2 years deal the Hawks offered him to stay.
It was reported that Gunston went back to the Hawks for $500k.

Gunston is 32 years and 6 months old. People on BF were mostly happy to see him go.
This year Gunston played 3 (1 subbed off) of 6 games with the 17th placed Hawks who have 1 win against the winless North.
Ryan is 26 years and 5 months old. He may or may not get any AFL games while at the Lions. Time will tell.

Is there any chance WAshcroft spends a lot of time on the wing when he comes back? I’m not in the camp of moving Berry on, he has his shortcomings but he has strengths which some of our players lack. I’m much more worried about players that aren’t performing right now or have never been consistent.

Is there any chance WAshcroft spends a lot of time on the wing when he comes back? I’m not in the camp of moving Berry on, he has his shortcomings but he has strengths which some of our players lack. I’m much more worried about players that aren’t performing right now or have never been consistent.

We have a wing and rebounding half back need right now. Club shouldn't play 4D chess on these options and pick up Frank Szekely from SANFL - as a speedy rebounding small or wing. If he settles and excels, that's great. If he turns out to be mid-tier he'll still add pacey small defender to our list which we lack badly.

Watching Stengle, Close and all Geelong smalls rebound off our small defenders and run away was painful. We need to add pace in the back half. McKenna will be back but we need to cover Coleman and this Szekely guy seems ideal with his kicking skills as well as run n gun style from D50.

Considering we don't have the draft picks to get players in the upcoming years and all will go for academy or father son etc, we better use these mid-season chances whenever it pops up to build cover for our needs. I'd even put Doedee on LTI at this stage if we lose a couple more and get another mature player on the list. When we get to delisting phase we can hang on to the mature ones rather than run the gauntlet trying to get them via open draft.

We have a wing and rebounding half back need right now. Club shouldn't play 4D chess on these options and pick up Frank Szekely from SANFL - as a speedy rebounding small or wing. If he settles and excels, that's great. If he turns out to be mid-tier he'll still add pacey small defender to our list which we lack badly.

Watching Stengle, Close and all Geelong smalls rebound off our small defenders and run away was painful. We need to add pace in the back half. McKenna will be back but we need to cover Coleman and this Szekely guy seems ideal with his kicking skills as well as run n gun style from D50.

Considering we don't have the draft picks to get players in the upcoming years and all will go for academy or father son etc, we better use these mid-season chances whenever it pops up to build cover for our needs. I'd even put Doedee on LTI at this stage if we lose a couple more and get another mature player on the list. When we get to delisting phase we can hang on to the mature ones rather than run the gauntlet trying to get them via open draft.
Both Doedee & Coleman are listed as out for the season. So that’s potentially two spots we can open up.

Both Doedee & Coleman are listed as out for the season. So that’s potentially two spots we can open up.

Agreed, I think we recruit for our needs via that channel since wholesale refresh via draft / trade at end of season isn't a viable route for us. Picks will get locked up for academy or father son points limiting our trade hand so we won't be able to do much unless players choose to move from the current list.

This is what i can't understand from the club.
They obviously are waiting for the midseason draft.
But why take two from there. Getting one that fits into a need position & best 22 at our available pick would be hard enough.

We have two cat B in Brain & Reville both showing good VFL form that the coaches can see each week.
They train with the main squad, know our gameplan and all the Lions players moves etc.

Reville would be the one to upgrade and it should have been done once Bailey was out for 5 weeks.
5 weeks not enough for a LTI so it would have to be for 1 of Doedee or Coleman.
Reville fits our need more than Brain at this stage.
He can be added to the mix of midfielders/forwards/wing that are trying to get that last spot.
Those being Tunstill/Dev/Lyons & maybe Tarrant down the track.

I only saw the last half of the VFL Cats game.
Reville really impressed me at times with classy AFL trait moves that should have been noticed by coaches.
Easy enough for good players to get disposals at that level but you need to show something extra, and he did.

But why take two from there. Getting one that fits into a need position & best 22 at our available pick would be hard enough.

We have two cat B in Brain & Reville both showing good VFL form that the coaches can see each week.
They train with the main squad, know our gameplan and all the Lions players moves etc.

Reville would be the one to upgrade and it should have been done once Bailey was out for 5 weeks.
He can be added to the mix of midfielders/forwards/wing that are trying to get that last spot.

Reville really impressed me at times with classy AFL trait moves that should have been noticed by coaches.
Easy enough for good players to get disposals at that level but you need to show something extra, and he did.
You may miss my previous post. Reville can be selected to play AFL right now. He does not need to be upgraded to senior list. See e.g., Cats Irish Mullin playing in early rounds as Cat B.

Last edited:

Like Jirik13 said, I was wondering about Reville until I read somewhere Cat B can play right now. It's just the club not selecting him so far. He was BOG last week, I'm hoping he'll be included for next week against GWS.

We are coming off wet weather footy week so there will be tired legs for sure. It'll be good refresh with some fresh legs and adding some speed.

Agreed, I think we recruit for our needs via that channel since wholesale refresh via draft / trade at end of season isn't a viable route for us. Picks will get locked up for academy or father son points limiting our trade hand so we won't be able to do much unless players choose to move from the current list.
I’m not so big on the mid season draft. I’m not sure the depth is there beyond the top half a dozen prospects.

Puts some good perspective on it. I’m gonna see if I can name the ten players I think he’d be alongside in the top 25%.

Neale
McCluggage
Dunkley
Andrews
Doedee
Daniher
Cameron
Hipwood
Coleman
McInerney
not sure about Oscar, think Cam Rayner would be in the top 25%, Zac Bailey just outside, but agree with the others.

I’m not so big on the mid season draft. I’m not sure the depth is there beyond the top half a dozen prospects.
I believe there are late bloomers out there whom we can recruit for specific needs basis. Szekely is a good example, he suits a need and we can pick him up for nothing mid-season. I'm sure there'll be another wingman out there if we looked hard enough. Looks like GC got Sam Clohesy whose going ok on wing for them.

Considering our limited options during draft, we should put more effort into academy late bloomers and midseason when we get a chance like this year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I believe there are late bloomers out there whom we can recruit for specific needs basis. Szekely is a good example, he suits a need and we can pick him up for nothing mid-season. I'm sure there'll be another wingman out there if we looked hard enough. Looks like GC got Sam Clohesy whose going ok on wing for them.

Considering our limited options during draft, we should put more effort into academy late bloomers and midseason when we get a chance like this year
What happens if Szekely goes in the first 6 picks, before it’s our turn?

I’m not saying the kid isn’t good enough, I’m saying the depth isn’t there in the mid season draft.

There’s a couple of success stories from the MSD each year.

The rest are never heard of again and are delisted 6 months or 18 months later.

Hypothetical at this stage, but what would peoples opinion be if Hugh does leave, do we try and replace him with another experienced player from another team using the money he frees up, or do we use the pick (which may be lower than we originally thought) and our current first to try and get up and get another pick in before Levi is bid on? Both may be easier said than done of course.

Last years mid-season draft selections.
I have added the number of AFL games each player has played.
The first number in brackets is for year 2023 the second is 2024.
I only did one-year, the previous years may have had a better strike record.
Only 3 players of the 13 have played AFL this year.

2023 AFL MID-SEASON DRAFT

First round

1. West Coast - Ryan Maric (Gippsland Power/Drouin) - (10) (5)
2. North Melbourne - Robert Hansen jnr (Subiaco/Mines Rovers) - (2) (0)
3. Hawthorn - Clay Tucker (Eastern Ranges/Rowville Hawks) - (0) (0)
4. Richmond - Matt Coulthard (Glenelg/Port Noarlunga) - (4) (0)
5. Greater Western Sydney - Pass
6. Sydney - Harry Arnold (Brisbane VFL/Broadbeach) - (0) (0)
7. Geelong - Mitch Hardie (Woodville-West Torrens/Leeton Whitton) - (0) (0)
8. Fremantle - Ethan Stanley (Box Hill Hawks/Frankston YCW) - (2) (0)
10. Western Bulldogs - Caleb Poulter (Footscray/Ardrossan) - (9) (2)
11. Port Adelaide - Quinton Narkle (Essendon VFL/Maddington) - (3) (0)

Second round

12. Hawthorn - (now Brisbane)- Brandon Ryan (Northern Bullants/Maribyrnong Park) - (3) (0)
13. Richmond - James Trezise (Richmond VFL/Tooradin-Dalmore) - (1) (1)
14. Greater Western Sydney - Pass
15. Sydney - Jack Buller (Claremont/Cottesloe) - (1) (0)

Hypothetical at this stage, but what would peoples opinion be if Hugh does leave, do we try and replace him with another experienced player from another team using the money he frees up, or do we use the pick (which may be lower than we originally thought) and our current first to try and get up and get another pick in before Levi is bid on? Both may be easier said than done of course.

I'd like to get up if possible. May be worth a mini-reset similar to what Port did in 2018 when they offloaded Chad Wingard, Jarman Impey to get Rozee, Butters and Duursma. Changed their profile in terms of pace through the middle and wings.

If Hugh goes I'd rather do that reset now than risk ourselves getting in the middle of Tassie coming in.

I’m not saying the kid isn’t good enough, I’m saying the depth isn’t there in the mid season draft.

There’s a couple of success stories from the MSD each year.

The rest are never heard of again and are delisted 6 months or 18 months later.

Then it's just bad luck in my opinion.

Szekely is just an example but there may be more out there I'm hoping. We have a few names that get thrown around but the fact that Szekely isn't even getting a mention this year makes me think there could similar talent out there which fits our needs profile.

I'll be tracking Jarrod Berry with interest in the upcoming weeks. It appears we've put a contract in front of him and I seem to notice an increase in the possession count over the last couple of weeks. May be we stung him with an average offer ? May be highlighting him getting not much ball as a justification? I don't know. But I wonder if Berry getting 29 last week and stepping up with 23 +10 marks +8 tackles the week before was all a coincidence.

Kyle Declase from Werribee is a decent shout for the mid season draft. Still has 4-5 years left in him. Performed well over a number of years and very versatile. Can play straight away and in multiple positions. Even as a big bodied mid or third tall down back or forward.

Do we have two picks? If so I think we should choose to use them and go for the best small forward available as well.

Kye Turner (defender that was on Melbournes list last year) looks handy too from what I saw of him but seems injury prone.

Kyle Declase from Werribee is a decent shout for the mid season draft. Still has 4-5 years left in him. Performed well over a number of years and very versatile. Can play straight away and in multiple positions. Even as a big bodied mid or third tall down back or forward.

Do we have two picks? If so I think we should choose to use them and go for the best small forward available as well.

Kye Turner (defender that was on Melbournes list last year) looks handy too from what I saw of him but seems injury prone.

Looks like Declase was a mid-season pick in 2021 and delisted by Demons by the end of season. We never know though, appears to have a mature profile 185cm/85kg/ big body mid and strong runner.

Then we look for someone else. But I'd bet good money that he doesn't go in the first 6 picks.

Don't think we need the third tall depth, so it depends if the coaches rate him as a mid or winger I guess.

Last years mid-season draft selections.
I have added the number of AFL games each player has played.
The first number in brackets is for year 2023 the second is 2024.
I only did one-year, the previous years may have had a better strike record.
Only 3 players of the 13 have played AFL this year.

2023 AFL MID-SEASON DRAFT

First round

1. West Coast - Ryan Maric (Gippsland Power/Drouin) - (10) (5)
2. North Melbourne - Robert Hansen jnr (Subiaco/Mines Rovers) - (2) (0)
3. Hawthorn - Clay Tucker (Eastern Ranges/Rowville Hawks) - (0) (0)
4. Richmond - Matt Coulthard (Glenelg/Port Noarlunga) - (4) (0)
5. Greater Western Sydney - Pass
6. Sydney - Harry Arnold (Brisbane VFL/Broadbeach) - (0) (0)
7. Geelong - Mitch Hardie (Woodville-West Torrens/Leeton Whitton) - (0) (0)
8. Fremantle - Ethan Stanley (Box Hill Hawks/Frankston YCW) - (2) (0)
10. Western Bulldogs - Caleb Poulter (Footscray/Ardrossan) - (9) (2)
11. Port Adelaide - Quinton Narkle (Essendon VFL/Maddington) - (3) (0)

Second round

12. Hawthorn - (now Brisbane)- Brandon Ryan (Northern Bullants/Maribyrnong Park) - (3) (0)
13. Richmond - James Trezise (Richmond VFL/Tooradin-Dalmore) - (1) (1)
14. Greater Western Sydney - Pass
15. Sydney - Jack Buller (Claremont/Cottesloe) - (1) (0)
I was so miffed about Harnold. Dude was an awesome interceptor, hoped we would get him in as a backup for Harris or Payney (obviously ended up getting Doedee but then injury ofc). Play him, Sydney, you cowards.

Back