List Mgmt. 2024 List Management discussion

Prediction- Who is delisted this year(not retirements).

• Berry

• McCluggage

• Lyons

• McCarthy

• Answerth

• Lane

• Prior

• Madden

• Lester

• Joyce

• Zorko

• Michael

• Brain

• Reville

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Look what happens when you spend some time trying to improve your kicking. A lesson for all...
You mean I've still got a chance???

Despite having 2 spots open via Kiddy & Doedee I thought we would only take the 1 pick in the MSD but with Linc & Dizz likely gone for the year and 4 spots open we need to take 2 minimum and potentially a 3rd as insurance because if we get anymore long term injuries in the second half our depth chart could be down 4-5 players.

Despite having 2 spots open via Kiddy & Doedee I thought we would only take the 1 pick in the MSD but with Linc & Dizz likely gone for the year and 4 spots open we need to take 2 minimum and potentially a 3rd as insurance because if we get anymore long term injuries in the second half our depth chart could be down 4-5 players.
What are you going to offer them, a 6 month or 18 month contract?

Small forward could be handy to replace Linc. Maybe another key back depending how we rate Joyce

2 at the most.

Anyone in our or the Suns reserves worth the second pick for a 6 month contract.
Nah, get 3 or all 4 with every single player as a speed demon. What a great opportunity to do a mini-list reset and we can add more running profile.

Our biggest concern was draft hand getting burnt in first round and here's a chance to take 4 free hits without worrying about it. We should take maximum advantage.

2 x pacey small forwards who can also go midfield (Charlie, Linc replacements)

2 x wing / half backs (if we can get Szekely and a tall version of Szekely that'll be great)

2 x Ashcrofts can take over from Neale and Zorko

If McCluggage + Berry stay or go, we try to move higher on draft to get more midfield talent.

Daniher and 3rd tall replacement will come from one of Morris, Lloyd and Smith. ZZ is the wild card.

Last edited:
Nah, get 3 or all 4 with every single player as a speed demon. What a great opportunity to do a mini-list reset and we can add more running profile.

Our biggest concern was draft hand getting burnt in first round and here's a chance to take 4 free hits without worrying about it. We should take maximum advantage.

2 x pacey small forwards who can also go midfield (Charlie, Linc replacements)

2 x wing / half backs (if we can get Szekely and a tall version of Szekely that'll be great)

2 x Ashcrofts can take over from Neale and Zorko

If McCluggage + Berry stay or go, we try to move higher on draft to get more midfield talent.

Daniher and 3rd tall replacement will come from one of Morris, Lloyd and Smith. ZZ is the wild card.
Just my view, the depth isn’t there in the midfield draft, to be trying to load up through that mechanism.

The vast majority of players are rookie draft quality and use up valuable list spots come the National draft.

Especially when we will probably look to take extra picks to the draft for points, and then pass on the last two picks and push them in to the rookie draft.

If we already have a full Rookie list, you are curtailing our flexibility come the National Draft.

Or we are faced with delisting extra players come the end of the season.

Last edited:
Just my view, the depth isn’t there in the midfield draft, to be trying to load up through that mechanism.

The vast majority of players are rookie draft quality and us up valuable list spots come the National draft.

Especially when we will probably look to take extra picks to the draft for points, and then pass on the last two picks and push them in to the rookie draft.

If we already have a full Rookie list, you are curtailing our flexibility come the National Draft.

Or we are faced with delisting extra players come the end of the season.

Yep, my thinking was along the lines of current depth players moving out so the list spot opens up anyway. It may happen either in the form of delistings or retirements or players choosing to leave. Rather than replacing them with late draft picks (after all our first/second round picks get used up for points), I'm thinking we could get 4 mature agers now who have potential.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With Gardiner and Doedee down a key defender is probably needed just for depth purposes. If Kye Turner from Port Melbourne was injury free then he’d be a good pick up.

Also I really like the look of Jack Riding from Werribee for a forward/ wing option that’s ready to go. He can play wing or front half. Can alternate with guys like Lohmann, Sharp and Reville. Give Fletcher more mid minutes as the season progresses.

Yep, my thinking was along the lines of current depth players moving out so the list spot opens up anyway. It may happen either in the form of delistings or retirements or players choosing to leave. Rather than replacing them with late draft picks (after all our first/second round picks get used up for points), I'm thinking we could get 4 mature agers now who have potential.
History says the depth and quality isn’t there for so many picks in the MSD.

It’s not like most of the draftees are actually National Draft quality kids or mature age players.

I still don't think we can afford to take four at the MSD because it'd require us to delist that many players to accommodate them past the end of the season. And that's before the delistings we need to make to create space for draft picks.

How many out of contract players can we reasonably delist? Lyons, Lane, Prior, Madden, Joyce, and maybe Michael and Lester in order to redraft them? That's only seven slots available at most. If we use four of them at the MSD, there's only three for getting picks in to match Levi and Marshall. Way too few IMO.

The better strategy would be taking two players at the MSD, leaving 3-5 picks available for matching at the national draft. We can always sign mature age players at the national or rookie drafts to pad out the list if they haven't been taken prior to that.

I think some are over rating the mid season draft.
The likelihood of picking up 1 player that is AFL quality is highly unlikely, let alone 4.

But if you take 4 you have more chance of getting 1

Think About It GIF by Identity

Out of interest has there actually been any success stories from players taken in the MSD? I’d be reluctant to take more than 2, even with our depth thinning out due to injuries.

Out of interest has there actually been any success stories from players taken in the MSD? I’d be reluctant to take more than 2, even with our depth thinning out due to injuries.
Jai Newcombe, John Noble and Marlion Pickett are probably the most notable.

Last edited:
Back