List Mgmt. 2024 List Management discussion

Prediction- Who is delisted this year(not retirements).

• Berry

• McCluggage

• Lyons

• McCarthy

• Answerth

• Lane

• Prior

• Madden

• Lester

• Joyce

• Zorko

• Michael

• Brain

• Reville

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

I hate to blame a player I love for the whole forward line's issues, but Charlie is by far our most disappointing player this year and its not close.

Looks slower, and conversion is even worse than last year - and it was pretty shaky towards the end of the season there too. I basically assume he's going to hit the belly of the ball and miss everytime he snaps these days. Its a genuine shock when he converts.

Who’s improved this year from our best 22 last year; Zorko, Lester, Wilmot, Fletcher maybe Berry?

I think we colossally ****ed up something in our preseason or maybe just had a ton of injuries and it’s turned our season into close to a write off which is why I try to avoid being too harsh on any individuals.

I’d also note that Hipwood has averaged a career high for contested marks this season to sit equal 20th in the league which has always been a weakness

Who’s improved this year from our best 22 last year; Zorko, Lester, Wilmot, Fletcher maybe Berry?

I think we colossally ****ed up something in our preseason or maybe just had a ton of injuries and it’s turned our season into close to a write off which is why I try to avoid being too harsh on any individuals.
What’s surprised me is the messaging that was continually pushed from the club in the off season about that we would not fall victim to the fate that so many losing GF’s face the following year.

Of course I don’t expect that they’d come out and say we aren’t going to be competitive and sure injuries have stymied us but geez they’ve massively dropped the ball.

I went back and listened to that Roar Deal with Fagan at that hall and it blew my mind how wrong he’s been or rather that he clearly didn’t see coming. Great for him, but that trip overseas he went on sounds like it was nothing more than a junket because after hearing what he said about and the fact the same mistakes are still being made and the fact he still refuses to strip players and what I think is mis-management of Cams career, you couldn’t think much else because there doesn’t appear to be any learnings or improvement as a coach and a leader with what the outputs are showing us to date this season.

I hate to blame a player I love for the whole forward line's issues, but Charlie is by far our most disappointing player this year and its not close.

Looks slower, and conversion is even worse than last year - and it was pretty shaky towards the end of the season there too. I basically assume he's going to hit the belly of the ball and miss everytime he snaps these days. Its a genuine shock when he converts.

He is terribly out of form by his standards and has lost a step, but I actually thought he was okay against Adelaide playing around the 50m arc. 3 goal assists and 10 score involvements isn't a bad return given how much he is struggling to hit the scoreboard himself.

I’d also note that Hipwood has averaged a career high for contested marks this season to sit equal 20th in the league which has always been a weakness
You can throw in Payne as vast improvement on his latter half form last year. Andrews is at least as good ,maybe better.

Throw in the ones you mentioned and that's about it.

A few have gone backwards and then those that are injured.

He is terribly out of form by his standards and has lost a step, but I actually thought he was okay against Adelaide playing around the 50m arc. 3 goal assists and 10 score involvements isn't a bad return given how much he is struggling to hit the scoreboard himself.
He always looks like he's carrying something but this year I think he really is. Just lost that initial 5 yard zip and can't kick over a cherry bob.

I’m a supporter not a coach. This is a forum for all supporters to voice their opinions.I’m not putting the blame on any one player or coach even though Eric’s name was mentioned in my last post. That would be unfair. Playing top grade at the elite level is not easy and our players are sure to have ups and down days. However I think we all put forward our concerns,opinions and ideas with the best intentions of seeing a successful team. Hopefully we can go into overdrive from this week on and all ride the upsurge in excitement.

Interesting discussion on Midweek Tackle about Daniel Lloyd. Apparently opposition clubs are against us taking him. Why; WTF knows but Ralph said he needs to play three VFL games to be eligible. Problem is, there is only two games of the VFL prior to the draft although the club has sought an exemption to still recruit him. Will definite be on reserves watch to see if he rolls out for our VFL team this week. I could I even tell you if he is eligible per VFL rules to play either.

Also, they said the club has put in a call to ex Hawk and Cats Issac Smith about lacing them up for the second half of the season. That’s pretty left field.

FMD Fages. No more Hawthorn retirees, please.

I got the feeling that our pre-season was all based around being in hot form at the end of the year, not the start.
Problem is they have almost forgot how to win games along the way to be able to get to the end of the year in with a chance.
We do have a lot of players out of form but I am confident form it is coming, slowly.
As long as we can continue to win games to keep the confidence levels up, we will build imo.
I don’t think we are out of the year yet.
But as you say, we got something wrong 😑

Our midseason draft list

RETIRED 2023
B:
Michael Hibberd, Phil Davis, Robbie Tarrant
HB: Shannon Hurn, Tom Jonas, Daniel Rich
C: Isaac Smith, Luke Shuey, Paul Seedsman
HF: Jack Ziebell, Lance Franklin, Jason Castagna
F: Josh Bruce, Jack Riewoldt, Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti
Foll: Nic Naitanui, Trent Cotchin, Ben Cunnington
I/C: Tom Hickey, Ed Curnow, Marcus Adams, Paddy McCartin

My view is we didn't screw anything up but we came in prepared to start at the grand final rightaway. The whole team, preseason premiership favorites, certain finalist, most likely grandfinalist wanted grand final in round 1.

That first loss at home ground where we went 12 or 13-0 last season was like a major heart attack even before our season started. I think we never recovered properly from that point on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably not the right thread but I still think the training run in the first quarter of round “0” ended up being more detrimental to the group then what we thought at the time. Coupled that with the fact we had a few easy wins in preseason and I think we just rolled into that thinking it would just happen for us.

We then got smacked in the face by losing one of (imo our most), but one of our most important players by half time of round 0, gave up the Gabba fortress in the first game by giving up an 8 goal lead and I think the confidence has just been shot ever since tbh.

There’s been a bit of improvement the last couple of weeks but I still don’t trust that it’s permanent.

Couple of interesting players highlighted in a Code Sports article posted in the draft forum.

Welsh is also promoting his wingman Saad El-Hawli.

The former Western Region league Rising Star winner is averaging 24.8 disposals from his six matches and seizing the eye with his speed. Welsh likens him to Carlton dasher Adam Saad.

“When I pick players who I think are draftable, I pick AFL players who I think they play like, and to me he’s like Adam Saad,’’ he said.

“He plays exactly the same way. Speed, good overhead, tough and a good ball-user. Good footy brain too. I think he’s got all the attributes to play in the AFL, absolutely.’’
Essendon small forward Oskar Smartt enhanced his chances of advancing to the AFL with two snappy performances in the Young Guns series. The Bendigo Pioneers graduate also kicked four goals from 12 touches against the unbeaten Footscray Bulldogs.

“There’s so much upside to him. But where he’s at already is pretty solid,’’ Young Guns coach Matt O’Connor said of Smartt.

“Great forward pressure. We asked a question to the group, ‘What do you bring?’ And he just said, ‘I bring pressure’. He’s got a bit of life about him, which I think is great.’’
Victorian recruit Phil Moimoi has also come to notice for the Swans, as a half-forward with a nose for the goals.

“He’s a very exciting player, has got real X-factor,’’ Swannies coach Damian Truslove said of the nephew of rugby league cult figure Fuifui Moimoi.

Couple of interesting players highlighted in a Code Sports article posted in the draft forum.
Oskar Smartt would be a good get with Linc out for the year... although would he be a better option than Kai Lohmann.

I suppose it depends on whether we are looking for plug and play options or depth in the MSD.

Just on output, Rayner probably going to have to take a paycut on his next contract. Wonder if he'll get any decent offers at the end of next season. Twomey on his podcast today saying St Kilda should be chasing Rayner with a midfield role on offer.

That's a no from the VFL on recruiting Lloyd...

Pretty shitty if you ask me. It's not like we're bringing in a superstar AFL level player. We're talking a 32 year old player coach in our VFL team.

Ah well, rules are rules I guess.

I still question the impact of “opening-round”. We made the GF which reduces the off-season, but then our first game was 2 weeks earlier in the year as compared to 2023. We had 4 weeks less off-season at the start of this season. I think Collingwood also suffered.

It’s accepted this happens because of the GF, but i think it’s a mistake to have the GF participants in opening round. I hope next season they do away with it, or have all teams starting early.

Wonder how far our first pick in the MSD gets pushed back as other clubs have players retire or put on the LTI.

Yesterday we had pick 4. Today West Coast have put one of their injured players on ice for the rest of the season, and still two more rounds to play, to reshape the MSD order.

Wonder how far our first pick in the MSD gets pushed back as other clubs have players retire or put on the LTI.

Yesterday we had pick 4. Today West Coast have put one of their injured players on ice for the rest of the season, and still two more rounds to play, to reshape the MSD order.
So what you are saying is we should tank out next two matches so that we can get the best possible pick ;)

homer simpson tank GIF

I heard Isaac mention in an interview recently that he would be up for a mid season recall if a team wanted him.
Id be surprised. Must have a had a fair change in mind from last year. I know he was very mentally ready to retire and walk away from footy for a while. His whole family lived his career and did a whole tour of the country last year to see every game they could. But he claimed he always saw it as more of a job than a passion.

Not sure he is really what we need to be chasing right now. Short term hit in a role I dont think we really need

Back