List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading

Remove this Banner Ad

Richard Taylor in shambles

Fair dinkum on what basis have you got to claim Harper is a bullshit artist?

Why is it so hard to believe that a paid employee of the club who looks after the woman’s program wouldn’t also help out with the men’s program by doing scouting? He has been around AFL football for at least 15 years, he watches kids, takes notes etc. He’s not coaching he’s not the head recruiter.

Why would any other football scout be more qualified than Harper to be a scout?

Remember that scouting is more art than science

You can have all the process and rigour you like, but at the end of the day your judgement just needs to be good

Rendell was a good evaluator, using the same scouts, same process and structures Hamish just doesn’t seem to make good choices

You can’t legislate for feel and quality of decision making

It’s entirely possible that maybe Harper just has a knack for it?

I mean, it’s hard to explain how our drafting seemed to get better around the time Harper joined a fairly stale and unproductive team

Replaced McCrystal who was our Vic scout for the longest time

He was a minor part time figure at Richmond, who had been largely sidelined

Now, he got a much bigger, full time role with us when the opportunity arose. Maybe he was a great recruiter that just wasn’t given his due with Richmond?

But as I say it’s more art than science, so if he had the knack - which is what I think it is - then maybe he’d have shown it before now?

Maybe

He was a minor part time figure at Richmond, who had been largely sidelined

Now, he got a much bigger, full time role with us when the opportunity arose. Maybe he was a great recruiter that just wasn’t given his due with Richmond?

But as I say it’s more art than science, so if he had the knack - which is what I think it is - then maybe he’d have shown it before now?

Maybe
Last I remember hearing about him at Richmond was he was NSW/QLD scout, which given the amount of talent that comes out of there that isn't tied up in those teams academies probably isn't a high profile portfolio to be given.

Would be gettable. Hasn't always been given the level of midfield minutes he wanted.
And a uncertain future once the Ashcroft boys dominate the Brisbane midfield.

Is Berry fast enough though? I don't see his burst of energy like a wounded bull.

Last I remember hearing about him at Richmond was he was NSW/QLD scout, which given the amount of talent that comes out of there that isn't tied up in those teams academies probably isn't a high profile portfolio to be given.

Exactly right. I looked into it when ol’ Bicks tried to claim he was the kingpin of Richmond’s recruitment operation

Narrator: as ever, this wasn’t true

Did she say VIC scout? I thought it was looking at 18 year olds (so slightly more mature kids)
18 year olds not just in VIC. And I was just sharing that tidbit because I’d spoken to Phil that week and hadn’t realised he was doing the scouting and had been for three years. I wasn’t doing it , contrary to what Pete says, to “rub it in”. I was just sharing info that surprised me, thought it would surprise others too.

Kevin Sheehan in an article in this mornings HSUN did a review on the top SA/WA/QLD/NSW prospects and said Sid Draper was the BEST prospect from SA and likely a mid top 10 pick lock.

Mentioned his shin injury but is over it and likely to play the remaining Academy/Carnivals etc this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why are people not talking about getting either LDU or Zuhaar from North. Explosive players that would be ideal for our team
Huh? Besides dreaming of McCluggage, LDU is just about the only other midfielder people have been consistently posting about. How big is your ignore list? ;)

Last edited:
Kevin Sheehan in an article in this mornings HSUN did a review on the top SA/WA/QLD/NSW prospects and said Sid Draper was the BEST prospect from SA and likely a mid top 10 pick lock.

Mentioned his shin injury but is over it and likely to play the remaining Academy/Carnivals etc this year.

Have to get him in my opinion. I think that's part of the reason Petty is off the table as we need our picks.

Justin Reid is always given a list of priorities for each off season he needs to achieve. This year's should say

1) Get up high enough to take Draper
2) make it so we take Welsh as a f/s
3) Bring in a Heyward or Perryman type

Other things will happen and list changes but I think if we got to the end of November and that's all done then it's a good realistic outcome.

I've given my view on this. If you want to believe we have Phil to thank for Soligo then knock yourself out.
You and your serial laugher mate need help. Surely laughing on every one of my posts is seen as trolling?

Have to get him in my opinion. I think that's part of the reason Petty is off the table as we need our picks.

Justin Reid is always given a list of priorities for each off season he needs to achieve. This year's should say

Other things will happen and list changes but I think if we got to the end of November and that's all done then it's a good realistic outcome.

100% - If literally all we draft this year is Draper and Welsh as well as bring in minimum 1 (preferably 2) FAs like Hayward in addition to keeping our 2025 1st pick - we have doing extremely well.

100% - If literally all we draft this year is Draper and Welsh as well as bring in minimum 1 (preferably 2) FAs like Hayward in addition to keeping our 2025 1st pick - we have doing extremely well.
+1 on that

Add draper to the midfield rotations and Hayward and Welsh to the forward line going forward and thats a really good result.

This might be difficult to pull off depending on the level of interest in Draper and Welsh, no? Will have to see how they go for the rest of the year.

agree on those 3 AND getting a young quality ruck around 22 years of age ready to take over from ROB would be perfect.

From your list 2 and 3 above are relatively easy ($ for FA, points easy enough currently for FS especially if going pick say 12 onwards). But to get Draper with a top 5 pick we will need to give up a lot potentially (say we finish 9th). Even next years first round draft pick as the core component of trading up - willing to do that?

You and your serial laugher mate need help. Surely laughing on every one of my posts is seen as trolling?
Ignore it. For some reason people on here want every bit of rumour etc they can find, but when told something directly from a person with an extensive history of posting, feel the need to attack them.
It's bizarre.

agree on those 3 AND getting a young quality ruck around 22 years of age ready to take over from ROB would be perfect.

From your list 2 and 3 above are relatively easy ($ for FA, points easy enough currently for FS especially if going pick say 12 onwards). But to get Draper with a top 5 pick we will need to give up a lot potentially (say we finish 9th). Even next years first round draft pick as the core component of trading up - willing to do that?

I would be from what I know but I'm no expert in the draft. I just feel like we have a highly rated local and in the past we haven't done enough to take them.

It's definetley going to be hard and will depend on where we finish and how high other clubs rate Draper. I'd include next year's if we had to.

It becomes a gamble as we have to rely on our recruiters picking what number we need to get to.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back