Mega Thread 2024 Media & Miscellaneous Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I have been angry ever since Gil and his band of bandits instigated the four umpires.
Far too many chances for error. They get in the way if the play. They hsve too much time without having to make decisions. They go to sleep. It makes it easirr for one umpire to tske charge for long periofds, as happened Friday night. Seemed Nichols was in charge for long periods late in the game.
Stevic, who I consider to be one of the top three umpires, was, or seemed to me, to be seldom seen in the last 15 minutes.
Four umpires is a total failure. It is time the AFL swallowed their pride and admitted they have had it wrong.
I'd imagine the drivers behind 4 umpires are more than just the potential improved range of views.

A big part of it would be the running demands on umpires, and I thought they always had an emergency anyways, this way they're just part of the game and they fall back to 3 in the event of an injury right?

There was a lot of talk of increased tactics away from the ball which the 4 umpires allows better coverage of to reduce the chances of.

To judge whether it's a success or failure you'd need to understand the full picture of why it was implemented and what the pluses and minuses are.

Unrelated to the stats, but does anyone else get the feeling that despite being the clear best team this year Swans aren't winning the flag?
Yep. I saw an article saying that they don't have a weakness but I think their key defenders will expose them in the finals. McCartin is an elite interceptor but his concussion history is a huge worry.

I can see Curnow, Cameron etc. getting a hold of them at some point.

I have been angry ever since Gil and his band of bandits instigated the four umpires.
Far too many chances for error. They get in the way if the play. They hsve too much time without having to make decisions. They go to sleep. It makes it easirr for one umpire to tske charge for long periofds, as happened Friday night. Seemed Nichols was in charge for long periods late in the game.
Stevic, who I consider to be one of the top three umpires, was, or seemed to me, to be seldom seen in the last 15 minutes.
Four umpires is a total failure. It is time the AFL swallowed their pride and admitted they have had it wrong.

You’ll understand Anchor Man.

Ray Montgomery >>>>>>>>>>>> 4 umpires.

I'd imagine the drivers behind 4 umpires are more than just the potential improved range of views.

A big part of it would be the running demands on umpires, and I thought they always had an emergency anyways, this way they're just part of the game and they fall back to 3 in the event of an injury right?

There was a lot of talk of increased tactics away from the ball which the 4 umpires allows better coverage of to reduce the chances of.

To judge whether it's a success or failure you'd need to understand the full picture of why it was implemented and what the pluses and minuses are.
I think it is very clear that after so many years it is a fail, regardless of what the AFL say. Just look at the complaints about their performances this season,and we aren't half way through yet..
The idea was that four umpires wold lead to less wrong decisions but all it hss done is add to that and more controversy.

I think it is very clear that after so many years it is a fail, regardless of what the AFL say. Just look at the complaints about their performances this season,and we aren't half way through yet..
The idea was that four umpires wold lead to less wrong decisions but all it hss done is add to that and more controversy.
I don't really agree with your premise, I don't see materially worse performance overall.
People complain about umpiring continuously regardless, some of it is because they're biased, some of it is because they don't understand the rules and some of it is because umpires are human and make mistakes.

I also think a lot of what made HQ go to 4 umpires probably isn't visible to us.

Unrelated to the stats, but does anyone else get the feeling that despite being the clear best team this year Swans aren't winning the flag?
If we’d have faced them under different circumstances, we’d have beaten them. I think our best is just as good, just need the consistency.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t know what to make of this stat, but a stat it is.

Ha ha.
But seriously, I paused my tv to find out why the ball come out so easily from our forward 50 against Collingwood and it turned out they had 4 more players than us in our forward 50. What are the odds of getting the ball if it hits the ground under those circumstances.

Ha ha.
But seriously, I paused my tv to find out why the ball come out so easily from our forward 50 against Collingwood and it turned out they had 4 more players than us in our forward 50. What are the odds of getting the ball if it hits the ground under those circumstances.
I'd be intrested to know the home vs away distance covered differential for all the teams.
I don’t know what to make of this stat, but a stat it is.

I'd be interested to know the home vs away distance-covered differential for all the teams.

Apologies for the intrusion.

Just in case this hasn't been posted.

A Perth footy festival could be one of many changes the AFL go ahead with to fix ‘not fair’ fixture​

The AFL is set to make major changes to its fixture headlined by a Perth winter footy festival in response to the Western Australian club’s cries of further equalisation for the league.

A winter footy festival in Perth will headline a long list of changes designed to try and equalise the AFL season.
An AFL posse - including football boss Laura Kane, understudy Josh Mahoney, head of projects Matt Bolitho and consultant Geoff Walsh - has completed its club visits for the competitive balance review that was agreed to during pay talks with the players.

Dockers chief executive Simon Garlick and Eagles chief executive Don Pyke campaigned for fairer travel over a high-powered lunch at Crown on the eve of their round 6 derby.

The united approach from the Western Australian clubs came in the strong belief the addition of Gather Round last year – and an 11th match across the Nullabor – had tipped the scales.

Fremantle flew 62,000km in 2023 as some Victorian clubs clocked less than 15,000km. The Eagles will travel 58,000km this year.

Fremantle captain Alex Pearce said cumulative travel shortened careers, while Eagle Jack Petruccelle’s bad corkie blew up in the cabin pressure returning from Brisbane last year.

“The AFL needs to look at it. It’s not fair on the WA clubs. We spoke to Jack Petruccelli a few weeks ago, and he was saying a year ago, or a couple of years ago, he got it really badly wrong, how to nurse an injury on the flight home.And he said he learned from that, and now he’s got it nailed. And most players have actually got the routine”

Coaching great Mick Malthouse and former Docker Paul Hasleby had called for a radical reduction in Victorian clubs. But Garlick and Pyke pushed for realistic change.

Multiple Victorian clubs would play Fremantle and West Coast during the Western Australia Day long weekend under one plan that would deliver the isolated clubs a bonus home game.

The visitors could then stay in Perth to play crossover games at Optus Stadium the following week.
Lighting up the west with four marquee matches on back-to-back weekends would create the big event atmosphere that the AFL wants, although the June 3 public holiday in WA would not align with Victorian school holidays.

Footy-mad locals selling out the 2021 Dreamtime blockbuster at Optus Stadium during Covid has opened the AFL’s eyes to the idea of a Victorian club staging a home match in the west.

A Victorian club could cash in on the generous stadium deal if it had flexibility in its tenant contract to move a game or if the AFL decided to extend the season to 24 games.

Freo went 22 days without a game at home due to consecutive matches in Adelaide for Gather Round and produced its worst performance for the year on return in the derby.

The Dockers also want the practice match they played at Alberton Oval on March 1 to stand as the last time the club ever travels before a season.

The Dockers were dealt consecutive six-day breaks to start 2024 while playing St Kilda at night in round 10 forced them to fly home five days before they played Collingwood.

They want easily fixed fixture complications such as these removed.

The AFL has made the MCG and Marvel Stadium available for a captain’s run this year while Dillon has acknowledged more could be done to promote the Derby national.

Last edited:
If you want a better perspective on how effective four umpires is, watch the umpire in the zone ahead of the footy as they watch the ball come in and then only turn to watch the contest as the ball reaches hands.

If you're not being held in the moments as that umpire is running back to goal or as the ball arrives you're fine.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back