2024 Membership

Remove this Banner Ad

Just realised the "free upgrade" I was supposed to get for switching to a digital membership was never applied. I swear there's an issue every year

Just realised the "free upgrade" I was supposed to get for switching to a digital membership was never applied. I swear there's an issue every year
I thought so as well but then I realised in the Doggies App under membership each game has two ticket options. For me there is the bronze regular GA and then also the upgraded version which I can pay $10 to access.

Just wondering if anyone else here has an AFL Membership with Bulldogs club support and has also paid extra for Social Club?

Just saw the 2 game Ballarat 'memberships' count towards our total. No wonder we are pushing for 60k!
Why not? Collingwood and Richmond count pet memberships toward their totals. The raw numbers are pretty misleading. Should be based on membership revenue.

Just wondering if anyone else here has an AFL Membership with Bulldogs club support and has also paid extra for Social Club?
Yep, but I just attach the social club to a Dogs GA membership, but it works for me because I mix and match who I go to the footy with and it's easier for me just to transfer over the Dogs ticket and get them to pay me $15 or whatever for the per-game equivalent is for the memership rather than paying more it costs for a standard GA ticket to the footy.

It’s technically a 2 game membership. Plus a lot of regular members have it as an add on so it isn’t really counted as a second membership under the same person afaik.

Yep, but I just attach the social club to a Dogs GA membership, but it works for me because I mix and match who I go to the footy with and it's easier for me just to transfer over the Dogs ticket and get them to pay me $15 or whatever for the per-game equivalent is for the memership rather than paying more it costs for a standard GA ticket to the footy.
Only very loosely related, but the Saints do a membership where you get X number of tickets per year to use in any way. For example, if it was 10 games, you could go to ten different games by yourself, five games with two people, or use them all for ten people in one game. I think it's an awesome model that I wish we'd adopt, because I'm the same and go with several different people randomly.

Why not? Collingwood and Richmond count pet memberships toward their totals. The raw numbers are pretty misleading. Should be based on membership revenue.
100%, at this rate we'll have 100k in a few years. GWS sprucing 30k as well, wonder how many Kayo deals in that?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is there any tables that publicly list the membership revenue per club? I’d love to see that

Is there any tables that publicly list the membership revenue per club? I’d love to see that
The Financial Threads on the Footy Industry sub-board discusses things like this: Official Club Stuff - 2023 Financial Results

Ultimately, it's a bit of a wash and not entirely useful because clubs often communicate ticketing, merchandise and other similar revenue in with memberships, in turn membership-related expenses can or cannot be included as a matter of personal preference/interpretation (and even those expense figures are not exactly clear), and sometimes the difference between sponsorship, corporate and membership revenue is quite blurred when you consider things like player sponorship etc.

Comparing the Melbourne clubs to interstate clubs is also a bit unfair because ground capacity and even seat rights change a bit from city to city (like Stadium-specific membership packages, AFL/MCC membership, is West Coast's waiting list a "membership", etc.)

In terms of membership categories though, the best we have is a fairly old article from The Age (from 2014) which seemed to be generated from leaked AFL data which breaks down the various categories:

AFL membership: The 'real' figures for your club is probably the best you're going to work with (though the graphic is a bit poor because it should be ordered from most to least money for the club for fair comparison so from the bottom the order should be green, blue, red, yellow).

1709872289739.png

Only very loosely related, but the Saints do a membership where you get X number of tickets per year to use in any way. For example, if it was 10 games, you could go to ten different games by yourself, five games with two people, or use them all for ten people in one game. I think it's an awesome model that I wish we'd adopt, because I'm the same and go with several different people randomly.

Our flexi memberships work the same way. 3, 6 or 9 games. Use them how you like.

That graphic is ten years old, would not even say that is close to the actual numbers nowadays even if you extrapolate based off that data set.

The Financial Threads on the Footy Industry sub-board discusses things like this: Official Club Stuff - 2023 Financial Results

Ultimately, it's a bit of a wash and not entirely useful because clubs often communicate ticketing, merchandise and other similar revenue in with memberships, in turn membership-related expenses can or cannot be included as a matter of personal preference/interpretation (and even those expense figures are not exactly clear), and sometimes the difference between sponsorship, corporate and membership revenue is quite blurred when you consider things like player sponorship etc.

Comparing the Melbourne clubs to interstate clubs is also a bit unfair because ground capacity and even seat rights change a bit from city to city (like Stadium-specific membership packages, AFL/MCC membership, is West Coast's waiting list a "membership", etc.)

In terms of membership categories though, the best we have is a fairly old article from The Age (from 2014) which seemed to be generated from leaked AFL data which breaks down the various categories:

AFL membership: The 'real' figures for your club is probably the best you're going to work with (though the graphic is a bit poor because it should be ordered from most to least money for the club for fair comparison so from the bottom the order should be green, blue, red, yellow).

View attachment 1922580
Might be an old graph as someone mentioned. But why such a disparity between average net revenue per member if it was broken down that way?

Like assume all clubs had exactly 50 members. I get the feeling that the net membership revenue from some clubs would be double or quadruple, of our net revenue from memberships. Why would that be? We selling memberships on the cheaper end?

Say the graph DID reflect last year. Eagles making around $160 revenue per member, where we make around a pissy $50 revenue per member. That is a massive difference.

Might be an old graph as someone mentioned. But why such a disparity between average net revenue per member if it was broken down that way?

Like assume all clubs had exactly 50 members. I get the feeling that the net membership revenue from some clubs would be double or quadruple, of our net revenue from memberships. Why would that be? We selling memberships on the cheaper end?

Say the graph DID reflect last year. Eagles making around $160 revenue per member, where we make around a pissy $50 revenue per member. That is a massive difference.
Eagles are pretty much the only club in the league that have an overseas-style season ticket system in which they can sell every seat in their stadium at the start of the year charge a premium, and have a waiting list.

Other than that it's just largely to do with things like scarcity of premium membership tiers grand final tickets. The fact that clubs back then could only offer 15,000 GF tickets create massive differences in how much they could charge for those tickets.

Clubs like Melbourne don't even bother charging for a seperate membership category because they have so many MCC members that they barely even have 15,000 members that would be passionate enough that they're desperate for a GF ticket. They literally just give GF access to any member that buys any membership category above GA (ie any reserved seat category or premium sponsorship whatsoever).

They do this because I'm fairly certain that Melbourne's 31,000 figure includes MCC membership of which Melbourne would have about 15% of the MCC's 60, 000 full members or about 9,000 of their 31,000 members in 2014. Throw in a couple thousand gold AFL members and that graphic shows they barely have more than 15,000 members that buy a membership direct with the club. As such it's basically pointless to charge extra for GF access. Nobody would buy it because they'd be a greater than 50% chance of winning a ticket in the ballot anyway.

When you consider a few limited-game memberships Melbourne arguably didn't even have the 15,000 members outside the MCC and AFL Memberships, which literally means they can't charge anything at all for such a membership category because every 11 game member and above would automatically have access to the GF if Melbourne theoretically made the 2014 GF. Obviously they were one of worst teams on the field in 2013 and nobody was buying memberships with the thought they were any chance of making the GF in 2014 but the principle holds true - they basically couldn't charge a cent to the fan base with the dangle of the carrot of the GF access.

Compare to for example Richmond who have hundreds of thousands of fans desperate for a GF ticket in 2017. They can charge a premium - which literally goes into the 1000's of $ - for GF tickets. So something that's of zero value, Richmond can now charge a $1000 premium for 15,000 people as part of their 100,000 members. Numbers not exact but you get the idea. (Numbers were 15,000 per club in 2014 but 17,000 now btw).

For example for me personally I was able to attend the 2016 GF because I bought my first ever social club membership in 2015 partway through the season when it was possible we would make the GF. The social club membership cost only a couple of hundred dollars and its arguable the GF component itself in the cost was of minimal value because of the value of the other social club elements (like the literal social club itself). At the time the Dogs had no waiting list for the social club so we had not yet exhausted our GF access membership categories.

Just as a general aside it's why the yearly whines from some Melbourne media types about "fans not getting access to the GF" and "corporates" as well as groups like the entirely pointless "AFL Fans Association" (formed by Richmond supporters) kind of miss the point. When you consider 8/18 clubs are interstate and a few Melbourne clubs are small it's clear that GF is accessible for an average fan for a majority of AFL clubs if they were so desperate to get to the game. Maybe not for the average fan given there's more Pies/Tigers fans, but in terms of the average club, it's entirely true.

The figures aren't exact but you can see how some clubs can start getting into the tens of millions figure when others can't.

Last edited:
Is anyone one else having issues upgrading to a reserved seat for an away match? I've entered my barcode, but receive a this member code does not exist, please check the details and try again. Thought I'd ask here, but will contact the club first thing in the morning.

Yes, I have an away games included in my membership.

Update: I rang the club and spoke to a helpful staff member who confirmed that the barcode on the back of my membership card did not match what the Bulldogs had on file. My suggestion to others, especially if you want to upgrade to a reserve seat for a match do a dummy booking on Ticketmaster/ Ticketek to make sure your barcode works.

Not quite membership related but… I remember perhaps sometime last year I checked out a website that was the Western Bulldogs Forever Foundation, which provided the opportunity to leave a tax deductible donation to the club. Unfortunately now a general google search renders no results - other than the community foundation. Does anyone know where the link is for this donation platform, or if indeed it remains an option?

Not quite membership related but… I remember perhaps sometime last year I checked out a website that was the Western Bulldogs Forever Foundation, which provided the opportunity to leave a tax deductible donation to the club. Unfortunately now a general google search renders no results - other than the community foundation. Does anyone know where the link is for this donation platform, or if indeed it remains an option?
Here and there's a link to the website in the top right hand corner of the club's website.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back