Preview 2024 Mid Season Draft Prospects & Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 21, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
North Melbourne
This thread is for a discussion on all things MSD and potential prospects.

Still a while away and still a lot to play out with many of the state league not started yet (SANFL & WAFL) but with Goater going down with the Achilles injury it’s looking likely that we’ll have another early pick in the MSD.

I was really impressed by Deakyn Smith yesterday in the VFL, had 23 disposals, a goal and 7 marks playing off half back. Had a bit of run and carry and used the ball really well.

For Port Melbourne Tom Highmore had 22 disposals and 12 marks playing an intercept role off half back.

Mutaz El Nour had 20 disposals and 6 marks playing for Richmond in the VFL and was listed as one of the best.

We need to get someone we aren't going to give a game to. :stern look

I’d much prefer a physically developed type in that 20-24 age bracket who can come in and have an immediate impact. I don’t really care what position, but we have enough developing types on the list I think.

If Thomas is still on the list wait to end of the season if we get a 4th round pick for him good better to get something then nothing but delist him if no takers.
As for Mid Year Draft need the best available Key Position player no more mids and have to play straight away in the AFL .

I’d much prefer a physically developed type in that 20-24 age bracket who can come in and have an immediate impact. I don’t really care what position, but we have enough developing types on the list I think.
Any small forwards that fit that bill?
Hansen Jr looks a reasonable pick up from last year, but not your traditional, small, fast, tackling, goal kicking small forward. One of those would be nice.

If Thomas is still on the list wait to end of the season if we get a 4th round pick for him good better to get something then nothing but delist him if no takers.
As for Mid Year Draft need the best available Key Position player no more mids and have to play straight away in the AFL .
Thomas is “no longer a North Melbourne player”. I don’t we will be getting anything for him. :stern look

Highmore is one who I wanted as a DFA or Rookie back in October.

I think we have a need for more medium-sized defenders, especially now with Goater injured.
I’d be happy with him. 193cm genuine interceptor with strong hands.

Any small forwards that fit that bill?
Hansen Jr looks a reasonable pick up from last year, but not your traditional, small, fast, tackling, goal kicking small forward. One of those would be nice.

One to keep an eye on would be Werribee’s Jay Dalhaus (cousin of Luke Dalhaus). Has had a few injury interrupted years. 23 year old, 173cm, has some speed and loves to tackle. Kicked 2.1 from 19 disposals on the weekend.

He isn’t the finished product but there is a bit to work with there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One to keep an eye on would be Werribee’s Jay Dalhaus (cousin of Luke Dalhaus). Has had a few injury interrupted years. 23 year old, 173cm, has some speed and loves to tackle. Kicked 2.1 from 19 disposals on the weekend.

The tall Tasmanian you mentioned in another thread who was BOG on the weekend and eligible for the MSD, Map… sounded a good option too.
Not as a small forward obviously.

Michael Barlow would be all over Werribee players wouldn't he ?

MID-SEASON PROSPECT EMERGES

COLLINGWOOD VFL forward Jack Hutchinson has emerged as an early candidate for the mid-season rookie draft.

Hutchinson, a powerful medium forward who attacks the ball and launches at marks, made his debut for the Magpies' VFL side last week. He had previously caught the eye for scouts in the practice matches and kicked a goal from nine disposals against Sandringham in round one.

The 22-year-old will need to play three state league games to be eligible for the mid-season rookie draft under the AFL rule introduced last year, having played for Wonthaggi last season in the Gippsland League.

His coach at Wonthaggi was former Magpie Jarryd Blair, who was in attendance at RSEA Park last week for the VFL clash.

Clubs are watching Hutchinson closely given his exciting traits in the air and presence inside-50 and he is shaping as a clear option for the mid-season draft, which has spawned mature-age success stories such as Jai Newcombe, John Noble and Sam Durham in recent seasons. – Callum Twomey

Last edited:
This thread is for a discussion on all things MSD and potential prospects.

Still a while away and still a lot to play out with many of the state league not started yet (SANFL & WAFL) but with Goater going down with the Achilles injury it’s looking likely that we’ll have another early pick in the MSD.

I was really impressed by Deakyn Smith yesterday in the VFL, had 23 disposals, a goal and 7 marks playing off half back. Had a bit of run and carry and used the ball really well.

For Port Melbourne Tom Highmore had 22 disposals and 12 marks playing an intercept role off half back.

Mutaz El Nour had 20 disposals and 6 marks playing for Richmond in the VFL and was listed as one of the best.
Are there any decent pressure, crumbing forwards who can consistently kick goals in the Matty Campbell mould?

Last edited:
I would target list need with a bit of experience. Maybe a small fwd or a proper big one. The other one would be a proper, lock down, back pocket player.

Our key backs aren't too bad. Logue, WDawson, KDawson, Pink, Comben, Corr, Nyuon. There's a bit there.

Half back talent is fine with Sheezel, Hardeman, Goater, George, Fisher, Scott, Bergman etc.

Medium forwards are good. Midfield is fine.

Are there any decent pressure, crumbing forwards who can consistently kick goals in the Marty Campbell mould?

I’d be keeping an eye on Tariek Newchurch. Ex Adelaide rookie, spent three years on their list. His first two years his professionalism wasn’t up to standard. Had a good year in the SANFL last year. Has supposedly had an incredible pre season and will be playing for North Adelaide this year.

I’d be keeping an eye on Tariek Newchurch. Ex Adelaide rookie, spent three years on their list. His first two years his professionalism wasn’t up to standard. Had a good year in the SANFL last year. Has supposedly had an incredible pre season and will be playing for North Adelaide this year.
Type of player? KP?

Edit Just checked. Small forward.

Type of player? KP?

Edit Just checked. Small forward.

Small/mid forward.

He had a pretty decent year in the SANFL last year, kicking 28 goals from 19 games, but he also played a bit of bad back. Has good speed and natural goal sense.

He’ll have to have a good start of the year to get on the radar, but he has plenty of tools.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back