Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

"Moares", "Morares", "Morez"... it doesnt matter what the commentators call him, Christian Moraes is one of the top prospects in this year's draft.
I know you're only joking but I'd really like AFL commentators to learn how to pronounce players' names properly, it's such an easy thing to do.

Another game like yesterday and we’ll be firing up the sum up our season in a gif thread.. again..

Jason Sudeikis Ted GIF by Apple TV

I know you're only joking but I'd really like AFL commentators to learn how to pronounce players' names properly, it's such an easy thing to do.
Not just footy, Moises Henriques still gets ‘On-reeks’ and he’s been playing for 15 years.

Just basic levels of respect, it’s not hard.

Tobie was the intercept king on the day for the Academy team. He used his energy and competitive intensity to continually disrupt Coburg's ball movement and make things difficult for his opponent.

Can I ask a question of the under 18 watchers, this draft looks to lack a top 5/10 tall forward option, is that a reflection of how the game is currently being played, or is it that the talent isn’t there?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can I ask a question of the under 18 watchers, this draft looks to lack a top 5/10 tall forward option, is that a reflection of how the game is currently being played, or is it that the talent isn’t there?
Tyler Welsh is probably the most likely but he's Crow's F/son. Nobody else really as a forward just yet.

Shanahan the main KPF to watch for mine around that area

I think there is more genuine key forward options this year compared to the last few years, but none have really announced themselves as the out and out premier key forward.

I think that’s probably got to do with the physical maturity of most of the key forwards in this crop. Outside of Welsh, none are really advanced physically at this stage. Nothing like Jed Walter last year! I think most of the key forwards are around that 80-84kg mark so they have plenty of bulk to put on before they are ready for senior footy.

The list of potential key forwards is pretty deep this year, all of these kids have draftable traits:

Tyler Welsh
Jobe Shanhan
Jonty Faull
Jack Whitlock
Zac McInnes
Kayle Gerryn
Gabriel Stumpf
Thomas Sims
Harry Armstrong

The AFL mid-season draft is a little over a month away and the top prospects for November’s national draft are starting to emerge.
Here’s the latest AFL Draft news from around the country.
FRONTRUNNER IN RACE FOR NO. 1
Victorian midfielder Josh Smillie is the early favourite to be the No. 1 draft pick this year after making a powerful start to the season across all levels.
The 194cm big-bodied midfielder made a big impact in the first three rounds of the Coates Talent League with the Eastern Ranges and also impressed in the AFL Academy match against Coburg’s VFL side last weekend.
Smillie is seen by some recruiters to sit just ahead of Levi Ashcroft and Finn O’Sullivan, who are also contenders for the coveted No. 1 pick.
It is a more even race than last year, when Harley Reid was flagged as the clear No. 1 selection more than 12 months out from the draft.
Smillie grew up as a self-confessed “little chubby half-forward” before being thrown into the midfield during the under-16 national championships on the back of a major growth spurt.
He has since spent significant time working on his midfield craft and looks up to Carlton captain Patrick Cripps.
“It was the 16s carnival and we were playing South Australia and Travis Cloke was the coach and he said, ‘They’ve got some big boys, it’s a wet day, we’ll chuck you in the mid’,” Smillie said last month.
“That sort of changed my footy career, I reckon.
“These last two years have just been great, working on my craft of just being that midfielder.”
Smillie lists his strengths as being his physicality, cleanliness by hand and foot and his leadership.
He is the son of Bevan Smillie, who was drafted to Carlton in 1991 before going on to play some reserves football with Essendon.
Josh Smillie is the early No. 1 pick fancy this year. Picture: Getty Images

Josh Smillie is the early No. 1 pick fancy this year. Picture: Getty Images
MID-SEASON DRAFT PROSPECTS GET CHANCE TO SHINE
A raft of prospects for next month’s mid-season draft will feature in an exhibition game this weekend as they look to push their cases for a spot on an AFL list.
A Young Guns side — made up of VFL and Coates Talent League players aged 19 or under — will tackle Vic Metro’s under-18 side at Werribee on Saturday afternoon.
The Young Guns side will also play a second match against Vic Country at Windy Hill on April 28, in the lead-up to the AFL Mid-Season Rookie Draft on May 29.
The Eastern Ranges have four players in the Young Guns’ squad, with intercepting defender Cooper Trembath, medium backman Ry Cantwell, tall forward Remy Maclean and 200cm ruckman Iliro Smit.
The Geelong Falcons are also well represented, having three players in medium forward Will McLachlan, running defender Liam Kershaw and 203cm ruckman Joe Pike.
Sandringham Dragons midfielder Ned Maginness — who was a father-son prospect for Hawthorn last year — is another who is part of the squad, while six players from VFL clubs have earned an opportunity.
Fremantle and Gold Coast both entered the season with one vacant list spot, while at least nine other clubs are able to open up spots ahead of the mid-season draft following long-term injuries and retirements.
The No. 1 picks in the mid-season draft the past two years — Ryan Maric and Jai Culley — were both selected by West Coast after impressing in the Young Guns games.
TOP-10 DRAFT BOLTER
Mobile key defender Luke Trainor has pushed himself firmly into early top-10 draft calculations, shaping as the best key position prospect available this year.
The 2024 draft pool is stacked with top-end midfield talent, but Trainor was the name on the lips of recruiters around Ikon Park last weekend after a best-on-ground performance for the AFL Academy side.
The Sandringham Dragons product’s intercept game, contested marking, one-on-one work against bigger-bodied opponents and ball use coming out of the back half stood out as he racked up 20 disposals and four marks against Coburg’s VFL side.
Trainor stands 194cm and has drawn comparisons to Essendon backman Jordan Ridley.
Luke Trainor was best afield for the AFL Academy side last weekend. Picture: Getty Images

Luke Trainor was best afield for the AFL Academy side last weekend. Picture: Getty Images
WHO HOLDS THE PRIZED FIRST-ROUND PICKS?
Gold Coast Suns coach Damien Hardwick is eyeing off another bumper draft haul this year, with his club holding three first-round picks and having priority access to a top-10 jet.
As of the conclusion of round 5, the indicative draft order had the Suns holding selections 8, 11 and 20 in the national draft.
They have not only their own first-round selection but also the Western Bulldogs’ first-round pick and an end-of-first-round pick from North Melbourne.
The club — which is seeking to play finals for the first time this year — also has access to Suns Academy prospect Leonardo Lombard, who is viewed by some scouts as a potential top-10 prospect.
A 178cm midfielder who can also go forward and hit the scoreboard, Lombard caught the eye with 18 disposals and a goal in last weekend’s AFL Academy match against Coburg.
He had played in the Suns’ VFL premiership as a 16-year-old last year, logging 10 disposals, six tackles and a goal against Werribee.
Fremantle also holds three first-round draft picks this year, with its own selection plus picks linked to Collingwood and Port Adelaide.
Sydney holds its own first-round pick plus an end-of-first-round selection it obtained from North Melbourne last year.
Collingwood, Port Adelaide and the Western Bulldogs are the three clubs who are currently without a first-round pick.
Leonardo Lombard is a highly-rated Gold Coast Suns Academy member. Picture: Getty Images

Leonardo Lombard is a highly-rated Gold Coast Suns Academy member. Picture: Getty Images
THE CRICKET PRODIGEE WHO PICKED FOOTY
Powerful inside midfielder Sam Lalor says it was a “tough” decision to pursue football over cricket but he has no regrets.
Lalor was part of Cricket Victoria’s elite junior programs and represented Vic Country at the Cricket Australia Under-17 National Championships in Hobart last January.
A self-described “power hitter” on the cricket field, Lalor liked to “hit a lot of sixes” but made the decision last year to instead pursue a football career.
“Cricket was always my preferred sport until about under-16s for footy when footy started to take off,” Lalor said.
“I’ve always loved cricket and it was a really good experience to play in Tassie last year at the nationals. So to have that experience and to make the decision to choose footy was tough, but I’m happy I chose footy in the end.
A Collingwood supporter, Lalor looks up to AFL players Jordan De Goey and Dustin Martin.
The 17-year-old from Bacchus Marsh is boarding at Geelong Grammar this year, while being linked with Coates Talent League side the Greater Western Victoria Rebels.
Lalor is also part of the AFL Academy squad, but minor hip and groin issues have left him unsighted so far this season.
“I’ll just try to get myself primed for nationals and play as much good footy as I can throughout the year,” Lalor said last month.
WA CONFIRMS NATIONALS SQUAD
Western Australia is targeting greater success in the under-18 national championships this year after confirming its squad this week.
The side won just one match at last year’s championships, with that coming against South Australia.
Among a 30-player squad, Claremont had 12 representatives, while Peel Thunder and Subiaco each had four.

More Coverage​

Your club’s father-son prospects in the 2024 draft
‘Draft doesn’t really work’: Pies boss declares intent to poach stars
Claremont has made an unbeaten start to the WAFL Colts season.
The WA squad — which will be coached by former Western Bulldogs assistant Marc Webb — is headlined by AFL Academy members Malakai Champion (Subiaco) and Bo Allan (Peel Thunder).
See the full squad at CODE Sports here.

TOP-10 DRAFT BOLTER
Mobile key defender Luke Trainor has pushed himself firmly into early top-10 draft calculations, shaping as the best key position prospect available this year.
The 2024 draft pool is stacked with top-end midfield talent, but Trainor was the name on the lips of recruiters around Ikon Park last weekend after a best-on-ground performance for the AFL Academy side.
The Sandringham Dragons product’s intercept game, contested marking, one-on-one work against bigger-bodied opponents and ball use coming out of the back half stood out as he racked up 20 disposals and four marks against Coburg’s VFL side.
Trainor stands 194cm and has drawn comparisons to Essendon backman Jordan Ridley.

Also BFNAAK.

Likely first-rounder Luke Trainor is the grandson of champion 1000-goalkicker Doug Wade and the nephew of AFL Commissioner Gabrielle Trainor

GABRIELLE TRAINOR, AO

Gabrielle Trainor’s background is as a lawyer, journalist, public sector executive and consultant in public policy, government relations and issues management. She has more than 25 years’ experience as a non-executive director in entities operating in urban development, major projects, transport and infrastructure. Her current positions include as Interim Chair of Infrastructure Australia, as an adviser to the Major Transport Infrastructure Authority (Vic), a board member of the Western Parkland City Authority (NSW), construction company Built Group Holdings Limited and listed investment company WAM Global. She is a trustee of the Charlie Perkins Trust, a member of the AIATSIS Foundation Council and an advisor to law firm Gadens. Trainor was appointed as an inaugural Director of the Greater Western Sydney Giants Football Club in 2011 and chaired the Giants’ Integrity Committee. She has lifelong experience in football, from volunteering for the Willoughby Wildcats in the Sydney AFL juniors’ competition to sitting on the AFL Commission NSW/ACT for 10 years, where she championed the movement to better integrate the Sydney Women’s AFL with the Commission. Her grandfather, Frank, and father, Tony, were presidents of North Melbourne for a total of 22 years. Appointed to the AFL Commission in March 2016.

Evans is seen as a running defender and on-baller with a ready-made physique for the top level. He can be selected as a Category B rookie because he hasn't played any competitive football for more than three years.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back