Training 2024 Pre-Season discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok. Back to my preseason track watcher feedback.

Day 2 was great. Shuttle run and unusually heavy contest footy this early for the young boys.

In shuttle knevitte and dempsey lead the group. In fact scratcher drew short straw to run with them (they go in threes) and blew himself up! This year Mitch pipped Dempsey by a second (reversing last year where they got second and third to Bowes).

Both of them smashed PBs and last years. In fact we’re only a few seconds off the record from Blitz. Both beating miers as the next best historically.

Jye ran very well and Max and tanner had a PB by a bunch. So all happy with the running.

In contest it was the same two that impressed. Dempsey has bulked up by 3-4km and Knevitte looked super fit.

Willis looked promising too

Genuine excitement amongst the coaches for this batch of players.

Of course tempered by the fact that everybody flying first week. But…I can only report what I heard.

Understand that noise is pressure is on the “older” group in 2 weeks to respond to the challenge of the young ones who came back ready and better.

Go 🐱
Love it! Not a house left standing in Geelong!

Ok. Back to my preseason track watcher feedback.

Day 2 was great. Shuttle run and unusually heavy contest footy this early for the young boys.

In shuttle knevitte and dempsey lead the group. In fact scratcher drew short straw to run with them (they go in threes) and blew himself up! This year Mitch pipped Dempsey by a second (reversing last year where they got second and third to Bowes).

Both of them smashed PBs and last years. In fact we’re only a few seconds off the record from Blitz. Both beating miers as the next best historically.

Jye ran very well and Max and tanner had a PB by a bunch. So all happy with the running.

In contest it was the same two that impressed. Dempsey has bulked up by 3-4km and Knevitte looked super fit.

Willis looked promising too

Genuine excitement amongst the coaches for this batch of players.

Of course tempered by the fact that everybody flying first week. But…I can only report what I heard.

Understand that noise is pressure is on the “older” group in 2 weeks to respond to the challenge of the young ones who came back ready and better.

Go 🐱
This update was much appreciated. Dempsey, Clark and Knevitt are three I would love to see making significant progress. With Holmes, Bruhn, SDK and O.Henry leading the way above them. If we get good seasons out of these 7 as a collective there will be plenty to get excited about.

Anyone else just in awe of Dempsey and his professionalism to get better
After year one he worked extreme hard on his running and was able to improve dramatically and now you can see him put on weight and lean up.
You can put Knevitt in that group also.

2 professionals who want to get better and it’s showing

Great post. Reckon he has put on 3-4kg of muscle. Still looks like needs work in the legs but 2 years in and you can tell (nor Mitch) won’t die Wondering - if they don’t make it, it won’t be becuase they left something on the table.

I am a bit torn for 2024. I so want these boys to get lots of games and breakout…but if they are best 22 I suspect the team isn’t as good as I hope it will be?

After year one he worked extreme hard on his running and was able to improve dramatically and now you can see him put on weight and lean up.

Great post. Reckon he has put on 3-4kg of muscle. Still looks like needs work in the legs but 2 years in and you can tell (nor Mitch) won’t die Wondering - if they don’t make it, it won’t be becuase they left something on the table.

I am a bit torn for 2024. I so want these boys to get lots of games and breakout…but if they are best 22 I suspect the team isn’t as good as I hope it will be?
I'm a Dempsey fan but ffs and the love of god, cut your *in' hair.

I don’t see it that way, I can actually see one of them becoming a best 22 and be ok with it
I have Knevitt a few steps ahead of him tbh

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wonder if the Jordan Clark situation made us rethink recruitment. Since the stories of lack of professionalism came out in 2020 we've recruited Holmes, Neale, Knevitt, Conway and Dempsey who all seem like incredibly hard workers on the track. I've heard similar about Bruhn.

It's too early to judge Clark, Willis, Foster, etc but it's a good starting point. Don't know about Clohesy on the track but he leaves it all out there on the field.

Both of C Scott's premiership teams has had young guys step up.

2022 - Holmes and SDK
2011 - Christensen, Menzel and Duncan

They were all second year players except SDK too. Knevitt and Dempsey will be a year older than that.

Surely we need to establish a thread for the haircut brigade to vent their spleens about the supposed positive correlation between a sensible do and really good football.

For myself, I believe there is absolutely no correlation whatsoever. Brayden Maynard being a prime example of a very good footballer running around with one of the silliest haircuts known to humankind.

#reallydoesntmatter
#letthethreadshavetheirownthread

I hope they lock them in long term, right now there is a shortage of opportunitiy but it will open up in the next few years.

Surely we need to establish a thread for the haircut brigade to vent their spleens about the supposed positive correlation between a sensible do and really good football.

The haircut brigade have been in disarray since Cam Guthrie became a star while maintaining the birds nest on his head. Then cut his hair this year to devastating results.

#reallydoesntmatter
#letthethreadshavetheirownthread

My tip is 90% of the haircut brigade are as bald as cue ball and are just jealous.
As long as they are committed footballers and decent people to boot, they can dye their hair purple with pink polka dots for all i care.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back