Training 2024 Preseason reports and discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Have to head off now so posting some notes early. Final score: WB 108 to Haw 83.

WB had the wind quarters 1 and 3. In quarter 4, we took off all our senior players for the young guys. Margin at 3QT was 41 points.

We struggled to stem the bleeding, letting our opponent kick 6 and 7 goals in a row. Was a problem last year and looked very casual.

When we actually had the breeze, we looked potent. Kicking wasn’t always there but we looked more likely to score. Ginni, Hardwick looked dangerous.

Bulldogs tall forwards caused a LOT of headaches. Darcy, Lobb and Naughton probably had 10 contested marks between them.

I thought a lot of our senior players weren’t going very hard. Sicily, Lewis etc. very casual and lacked intensity. Contrast this to Libba.

Standouts: Scrimshaw, Mackenzie (second half), Hustwaite, D’Ambrosio, CMac

Amon, Bruest, CJ, Day, Blanck, Moore, McCabe, Wingard are those not playing at all I think.

Dogs are playing heaps of their better players in the second game.

Wouldn't worry about the result, but I agree we should worry about the run of goals conceded, even though the wind is clearly a factor.

It was our achilles heel in 2023 - not being able to stall opposition momentum - and it's got to be addressed in 2024 if we are to improve much at all.

Bailey Dale is long term injured last time I looked

(Log in to remove this ad.)

OMG lots of Kool-Aid drinkers here.
It seems if you make in any way a realistic comment, you are abused and the post deleted. F**k me, a bunch of 5 yo's on this chat forum.
In daring to suggest the Hawks won't make the finals, and will do well to win seven games, I got abused and my post was deleted. What a joke.
See you later, kiddies, but remember i WILL come back and post in early September.
FWIW, McKenzie and Ginnivan look really good and both will be fun to watch over the next decade.

Will win a flag before the doggies, but that’s quite a low bar.

So what wisdom have you brought?

D’Ambrosio plays round 1, was excellent and uses it so well.

Ginnivan, worked extremely hard, feel like he wants to change the tone around the player he is

Watson, looked a yard off of it but will be better for the run, not concerned.

Chol looked good in parts but also a few odd brain fart moments

Frost, geez it’s hard to say nice things about such a frustrating player, prefer we take our licks with Philips at full back tbh

Hustwaite, Massimmo and Ginni stood out for me. Allof them got a fair bit of it but more importantly, used it really well

Scrimshaw too. Connor Mac is all class and was the best early. Cam Mac came into it and was all over it in the last.

Agree with others that Weddle is not really a defender, he is better let off the leash.

All in all, big Naughton was the difference. Both teams had control with an insane wind, the big fella was just too good and I think the 4 goal margin is down to him.

My $0.02:

Intensity of the game from our boys was off for most of the game. There was a lot of caution in some pack contests which you won't see in the real stuff. It's always hard to read anything from these games due to the structures and match ups being fluid and there is a much greater focus on individual fitness and game time than actually playing to win. Thought the miss were poor early, very fumbly and often a step or two behind. This improved as the game went on but again we seemed to be lacking any intensity here. I thought it may have been intentional as a means to practice our spread and test out our structure from quick clearances where we can't play an extra behind the ball.

Few players to highlight:
Hustwaite plays round 1. He's classy, moves well and just has time with the ball in hand. Can kick goals and offers a bit overhead also.
Phillips looked good, reads the flight incredibly well and works hard to make the contest. Took some good grabs and didn't look out of place.
Massimo found a bit of it and looked decent. A few errors and cute kicks that didn't come off but when he has a little time he definitely makes it hard work for defenders.
Chol looked good in his first game. His finishing was poor but he and Lewis seemed to work well together. Field kicking is very good for a big guy which will be a huge bonus when he's needed in the ruck or playing up the ground.

There's a few others like Croc and Frenchy who continues to build and develop which is exciting.

Good hitout in the end, result is meaningless but I don't think we had any injuries and we now have some footage and game time to go back to the track with and learn from.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back