Opinion 2024 Round 1 Team

Remove this Banner Ad

I’d be happy for Berry to play the forward role, probably leaves Murphy superfluous though.
Yeah I could live with this and Murphy can be the sub

Not entirely sure it happens but a very viable option

The key for me is making sure Rankine gets 40-50% midfield time so if it doesn’t undermine that I’m happy

I think in games we were on top for long periods but lost last year it was because we didn’t have that second string midfield relief and teams got run ons against us and we leaked goals in clusters , I’m hoping this is less likely this year with what we’ve got

Berry looked great yesterday .....Laird not so much ....it looks like Laird has lost a mtr of pace, that #1 wood of getting to the 2mtr ball first

How Berry fits into the structure, is the great unknown currently ....but he's a lock for R1
Yeah agree but be careful judging senior pros and trial games too

Berry is a lock somewhere for sure in 22 or sub

I think we’ve got perfect role for Matt Crouch at moment

He plays 65-70% TOG and starts on the pine , keeps him slightly fresh all game and he’s in ripping form

Laird is still in our starting 3

This all means Soligo plays wing I think

Berry either plays forward and then mid rotation or plays as sub - gonna be a close call

I reckon they might make him sub, wouldn’t be great for him

It’s not an easy first week of selection , I guess this is what we want

It's the opposite IMO. People often mistake depth for a team having their players 12-20 being close to players 21-30.

Fox News.

Nicks history over the past 4 years shows that this is complete and utter tripe when it comes to high end talent we draft.

2020 - Round 1 - Fisher McAsey
2021 - Round 1 - Rowe / Berry
2022 - Round 1 - Rachele / Soligo
2023 - Round 1 - Max

If Curtin is healthy, history shows that Nicks will get him in the team.

OK, seeing as your blind need to have a childish dig at me is more important than actually being able to select the player that needs to miss to accommodate Curtin, I'll approach the discussion another way.

Of the players listed above, how many do you think weren't selected in our final trial game? That you blindly believe Curtin is a lock based on previous years with different circumstances is kind of cute. It's like you're learning to research, but just feeling your way a bit.

The other relevant variance is that the above all had a flawless preseason, Curtin has had a couple of hiccups. But no doubt irrelevant because Nicks just blindly selects the high draft picks regardless of any other factors. And you forgot TT, pick 2, surely he played round 1.

Yeah agree but be careful judging senior pros and trial games too

Berry is a lock somewhere for sure in 22 or sub
In place of who, though ? ......doubt they'll make Berry sub on yesterday's performance & against Rowell, who's a perfect matchup for Berry

I'd prefer Murphy as the sub TBH

One of yesterday’s best stories was Taylor by the sounds of it. He started the preseason with a big question mark over his injury/fitness. He’s apparently dominated the Sanfl trial a few weeks later. Hypothetically he continues that form. Who does he displace? It’s like we have a glut of midfielders without having an amazing midfield.

His toe is too painful for AFL grounds and footballs but ok for SANFL versions? He's not playing bevause the team we selected for the final trial game is what forms our 23 and the continuity matters.
I reckon those couple of weeks he missed with his knee hurt him and then he’s also still working on a few things defensively

He’s a very good player so I don’t think it will be too long until debut, will do very well in sanfl like he did in wafl last year

One of yesterday’s best stories was Taylor by the sounds of it. He started the preseason with a big question mark over his injury/fitness. He’s apparently dominated the Sanfl trial a few weeks later. Hypothetically he continues that form. Who does he displace? It’s like we have a glut of midfielders without having an amazing midfield.
We might rate our midfield a hell of a lot higher by end of year IMO

Taylor is a great little player , he still needs to get stronger and fitter but the penny is starting to drop

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sholl, in spite of being prominent today, just doesn't inflict any damage on the oppo. He's quite weak defensively and appears to be little more than a link in the chain on his wing. I see no weapons.

Absolute minimum chips player who will be dropped after not sticking a couple of tackles which cost us a game in the near future.

Just like previous years.
I mostly agree, just have a feeling the coaches might see differently

I reckon those couple of weeks he missed with his knee hurt him and then he’s also still working on a few things defensively

He’s a very good player so I don’t think it will be too long until debut, will do very well in sanfl like he did in wafl last year
We need to stop playing him in defence and give him a wing spot.

OK, seeing as your blind need to have a childish dig at me is more important than actually being able to select the player that needs to miss to accommodate Curtin, I'll approach the discussion another way.

I have since posted the 22 you requested.

Of the players listed above, how many do you think weren't selected in our final trial game? That you blindly believe Curtin is a lock based on previous years with different circumstances is kind of cute. It's like you're learning to research, but just feeling your way a bit.

I believe Curtin is a lock because we traded up to get him. We rate him massively. He has an AFL ready frame and Nicks love to give opportunities to our new draftees (as proven by selecting 6 rookies in rd 1 teams over the past 4 years).

The other relevant variance is that the above all had a flawless preseason, Curtin has had a couple of hiccups.

Thats fine to argue that Curtin may not be selected because he isn't fit. Your argument was that he wont be selected because others have credits over him and thats what I said is complete and utter tripe.

But no doubt irrelevant because Nicks just blindly selects the high draft picks regardless of any other factors. And you forgot TT, pick 2, surely he played round 1.

Hmmmmm - nowhere did I suggest the above. I merely counted your crazy opinion that Curtin wouldn't be selected because he didnt have the "credits".

TT didn't debut in Round 1.. He did debut in Rd 5 of his first year I believe, which for a 200cm KPP is pretty bloody impressive.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Laird and Dawson rested around the ground a bit more, like they seemed to be yesterday. Berry seemed to play a bit of half forward at times whilst still getting 11 CBAs, and could play that role when the season starts, extending the mid rotation a bit more than usual

The benefits of actually having quality mid depth

Team I think they'll pick

FB: Michalanney ~ Butts ~ Worrell
HB: Hinge ~ Keane ~ Milera
C: Soligo ~ Dawson ~ Jones
R: Obrien ~ Laird ~ Crouch
HF: Rankine ~ Walker ~ Pedlar
FF: Fogarty ~ Thilthorpe ~ Rachele
B: Keays ~ Smith ~ Murphy ~ Berry
S: Sholl

Swap Murphy for Nankervis and I'd be happy.
pretty close IMO but Rankine will be a starting mid and Laird>Crouch starting at this stage. The wingers of Jones and Soligo make most sense to me keeping Soli around the ball. Jones played some terrific footy off the wing 2nd half of last year, and Hinge and Milera were both excellent as HBF's. Hopefully Hinge and Jones get back to this form quickly (otherwise Sholl will start wing over Jones who heads to the bench/sub). Keane more attacking flair takes CHB. Forward line picks itself but The Fog needs to impact more.

It is the last 2 spots of Berry and Sholl that seem most debatable but tend to agree they both play R1 based on pre-season form above Mc Henry etc. Murphy isnt a lock either. Curtin would have played if no injury issues as Nicks has shown he loves blooding talented youngsters in R1. Looks like a good team with admittedly a small bench/sub but with a tall forward line, many hybrid defenders that can play tall (Hinge, Worrell) and machine ROB its probably OK.

FB: Michalanney ~ Butts ~ Worrell
HB: Hinge ~ Keane ~ Milera
C: Soligo ~ Dawson ~ Jones
R: Obrien ~ Laird ~ Rankine
HF: Keays~ Walker ~ Pedlar
FF: Fogarty ~ Thilthorpe ~ Rachele
B: Crouch ~ Smith ~ Murphy ~ Berry
S: Sholl

Sholl, in spite of being prominent today, just doesn't inflict any damage on the oppo. He's quite weak defensively and appears to be little more than a link in the chain on his wing. I see no weapons.

Absolute minimum chips player who will be dropped after not sticking a couple of tackles which cost us a game in the near future.

Just like previous years.

Not convinced on Sholl either and you are probably right. But is still a young player who has this year reached the stage where you hope they start to impact games.
Averages 5 disposals a game more than Jones does over their careers, only half a tackle per game less.

Went at 83% DE and 367m gained. I worry he is too soft and inconsistent but we did see Jones take a big step last year and perhaps Lachie can do that this year

He certainly played himself into the side yesterday though and likely gets first crack

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

You're missing the bit where there were spots available all those years. Show me your 23 with Curtin in it.

Changing the goal posts a bit there. The continuity spiel has been going for several years - and yet we have shown we play kids that have a good summer. Soligo and Max being particularly good examples where there was no expectation during the main part of pre season they would get a game. We made them fit

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back