Autopsy 2024 Round 3 Bruising Blues Too Much For Roos

Who played well for the Blues in Round 3 vs North?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't care what their GPS numbers are or how they defend space, but we seriously have one of the worst quartet of crumbing small fwds in the competition

This is easily the biggest flaw in our game

Solid win against inferior opposition

Reset for Freo next week

I don't care what their GPS numbers are or how they defend space, but we seriously have one of the worst quartet of crumbing small fwds in the competition

Reset for Freo next week
Quartet? Who's the fourth? Between Owies, Durdin and Fog, we kicked 5 goals. That's pretty good.

I agree their crumb work could improve but they are doing everything else well. Surely that doesn't put them at the bottom of the barrel in the comp.

Reset for Freo next week
Martin and Motlop in should help with that. Fogarty is there for defensive reasons.

They set up every contest with free players on the attacking side, looked great when they won the contest and caught us napping a few times in the first half.

Would look better if they ever become a dominant clearance team.

North have done some odd list management though, they have 8 genuine midfielders, some flankers and 1 key forward.

Surely end of season Phillips and a few others are traded to look for keys?

100% agree. I made the same comment to a mate of mine who was saying they’ll be a force in 3-4 year. Its a horribly unbalanced squad. They needed to keep Ben McKay rather than getting another midfielder. They have no key defenders and are still need another key forward. If possible we should try and pinch Will Phillips on the cheap at the end of the year.

And he's still not as good as those players, let alone equal to Carey. Point still stands.
No Your original point was that he was the most over rated player in the last 20 years. He wasn't. Personally I'd take him before Tredrea, Pavlich and Riewoldt but I can understand that others mighn't.

Fogarty is one of the most unselfish and underrated players...... a tackling machine and hard at the ball.......seems to have lifted his game to the next level this season.....overall the team has a totally different feel this season.....finally the boys have belief.......impressive start to the season please carry on, play on lol

The Fog is out barometer.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Fun game to watch. Always nice when you kick 20 goals

At the ground, biggest gripe I had was it felt like a lot of the goals we conceded were through our own individual errors. We were sloppy and fumbly at times, especially in the first 3 terms but I really liked how we controlled the pace of play in the last. Sign of a mature side

Otherwise a whole lot to like:
  • TDK very impressive vs Xerri, thought he beat him comfortably
  • H is about the most valuable player in the comp in this form
  • Cerra starting off the back of the square for some centre bounces is interesting but clearly the idea is to get him kicking i50 as much as possible
  • Hollands of the E variety - very good first impression
  • Our pressure overall - even if I felt our ball handling was sloppy at times, we really did bring the heat
  • Weiters through unscathed and looking like his usual Robot self
  • Overall lack of "passengers" - felt like a very even team effort from start to finish

Couldn't help but laugh at the Norf fans chanting "free kick Carlton" after a goal got taken off them for an obvious throw in the buildup and then repeating it again in the last term when they were 50 points down. If only they were as passionate about supporting their players :$

3-0 and a challenge against a very good defensive side in Freo next week. Looking forward to it

100% agree. I made the same comment to a mate of mine who was saying they’ll be a force in 3-4 year. Its a horribly unbalanced squad. They needed to keep Ben McKay rather than getting another midfielder. They have no key defenders and are still need another key forward. If possible we should try and pinch Will Phillips on the cheap at the end of the year.

Phillips is a plodder.

Go and get Curtis, wouldn't he fit perfectly into our forward mix. Great little player.

No Your original point was that he was the most over rated player in the last 20 years. He wasn't. Personally I'd take him before Tredrea, Pavlich and Riewoldt but I can understand that others mighn't.
When people equate him to Carey? For sure. Incredibly high bar. But perhaps little Nicky can take that mantle...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reset for Freo next week
And the sky is falling too!

To stop their quick small backs running riot as they did against the Dockers in the first half last week when they got out to a 5 goal lead. Good coaching.

If that was his role he was poor. I watched him closely today and he wasn’t sitting on anyone. Just struggled to get involved in attack or defence

Here you go …

Full presser

Vossy's pressers compared to last year are poles apart. He's much more relaxed now and got rid of all of the nourishment clichés.

Having said all that, I reckon it was a good meat and 3 veg win from the boys today. Did what we had to do, got out of Dodge, and get prepared for another test against the club who keeps on gifting us their best players.

Vossy's pressers compared to last year are poles apart. He's much more relaxed now and got rid of all of the nourishment clichés.

Having said all that, I reckon it was a good meat and 3 veg win from the boys today. Did what we had to do, got out of Dodge, and get prepared for another test against the club who keeps on gifting us their best players.

I think we tried to get to the pudding today before we finished the meat and three veg. ;)

If that was his role he was poor. I watched him closely today and he wasn’t sitting on anyone. Just struggled to get involved in attack or defence
Running into spaces to bloke leads is important. Chasing opposition players so they have to execute under pressure is also
important. He’s no superstar but he plays role and I’d imagine the coaches would’ve been ok with his game today.

Running into spaces to bloke leads is important. Chasing opposition players so they have to execute under pressure is also
important. He’s no superstar but he plays role and I’d imagine the coaches would’ve been ok with his game today.

It is important but he didn’t do it. I don’t like criticising players but today he was poor and to say he contributed defensively or with pressure is factually wrong

2 tackles
2 one percenters
10 pressure acts which is low
Their running defenders had a lot of easy ball

Whichever way you look at it he had a poor game and to be in our side now you need to do more

With Walsh Cuningham Motlop Martin to come back he needs to do more to stay in side. In his first game today playing a similar role Elijah did a lot more offensively and defensively

Last edited:
Elijah Hollands: I did enjoy his skill execution, and his work-rate, particularly as the game went on and confidence grew. Terrific to see him working across half-back and marking it at half-forward, sometimes in the same passage of play. But what I really liked was his disciplined, selfless play. It would have been easy for him to try to do too much, in a bid to "prove" himself - but he brought his team-mates into the game instead, and everyone benefited.

He was the one right on the hammer of his opponent when Fisher and Corr messed it up in the back-pocket for North. He focused on making the spoil, knowing the ball would pop up for Carroll to kick the goal. I really liked that, even before he started pinpointing passes, kicking goals, etc.

And in not entirely unrelated news, Ollie Hollands was much better than he has been. Partly because North are too young to bring the sort of physical pressure that Brisbane and Richmond could, but pleasing nonetheless.

3 zip hey.

Lean back, roll a 3 paper, crack a stubbie, give the groin an outside rub, let Def Leppard have a random go on Spotify

All is good, humans.😎👍
Same.
tenor.gif

Elijah Hollands: I did enjoy his skill execution, and his work-rate, particularly as the game went on and confidence grew. Terrific to see him working across half-back and marking it at half-forward, sometimes in the same passage of play. But what I really liked was his disciplined, selfless play. It would have been easy for him to try to do too much, in a bid to "prove" himself - but he brought his team-mates into the game instead, and everyone benefited.

He was the one right on the hammer of his opponent when Fisher and Corr messed it up in the back-pocket for North. He focused on making the spoil, knowing the ball would pop up for Carroll to kick the goal. I really liked that, even before he started pinpointing passes, kicking goals

For a kid with only 14 games I saw him play HF, Wing and midfield at times today and do them all well. Impressive

Back