20th AFL Team

Which location will be the home of the 20th AFL team?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The people supporting an NT team don’t really understand the logistics. Their main reason is “it would be nice”. It’s supposed to be a professional football league. Not a charity.
Their other reason is it would complete the game as a truly national comp, because apparently that’s the case without an actual team in, you know, the national capital.

Has the NT government’s advocacy, business case and the high level taskforce shifted NT (and their third option of a shared Northern Australia team) to be the favourite for Team 20?

Whilst I had originally pegged WA3 as the most likely Team 20, Coolangatta (and some others) have pointed out, the AFL (and the WAFC) do not seem to want WA3 and seem content with 2 teams in WA. The NT option seems to be the most popular with the general public, as well as some media personalities - but though not with the majority of Big Footy posters here, who understand the significant challenges with a full time NT/ NA AFL team.

I guess a key variable is whether the Commonwealth government is happy to put significant $ in the NT/NA team, especially in the context of the reported $ Albo was going to give PNG to have an NRL team.

Has the NT government’s advocacy, business case and the high level taskforce shifted NT (and their third option of a shared Northern Australia team) to be the favourite for Team 20?

Whilst I had originally pegged WA3 as the most likely Team 20, Coolangatta (and some others) have pointed out, the AFL (and the WAFC) do not seem to want WA3 and seem content with 2 teams in WA. The NT option seems to be the most popular with the general public, as well as some media personalities - but though not with the majority of Big Footy posters here, who understand the significant challenges with a full time NT/ NA AFL team.

I guess a key variable is whether the Commonwealth government is happy to put significant $ in the NT/NA team, especially in the context of the reported $ Albo was going to give PNG to have an NRL team.
Yeah, I can see it happening if the feds put the money in, but it's going to cost them a lot more than what a Tassie team will. There's no denying it's the popular choice. Doesn't mean it's the right or intelligent one, but it undoubtedly helps the NT bid.

But if the feds were to say no, or not put in enough money, surely it leaves them with no choice but to go with the ACT, because they are the only valid option if WA3 is out and I really do believe the AFL and WAFC don't want it and would be surprised at this point if it happens.

Yeah, I can see it happening if the feds put the money in, but it's going to cost them a lot more than what a Tassie team will. There's no denying it's the popular choice. Doesn't mean it's the right or intelligent one, but it undoubtedly helps the NT bid.

But if the feds were to say no, or not put in enough money, surely it leaves them with no choice but to go with the ACT, because they are the only valid option if WA3 is out and I really do believe the AFL and WAFC don't want it and would be surprised at this point if it happens.
IF being the key word

The idea that several hundreds of millions of dollars to build a stadium in Darwin is any sensible use of money is absolutely ridiculous. It won't happen. I have no idea why people are pushing it or getting on board it.

The idea that several hundreds of millions of dollars to build a stadium in Darwin is any sensible use of money is absolutely ridiculous. It won't happen. I have no idea why people are pushing it or getting on board it.

I honestly think people do it as a thing to make them seem like they're fully into indigenous issues and improvement. Particularly guys like clarko and demetriou that wanna rebuild their reputations to seem like they are the all inclusive good blokes.

I honestly think people do it as a thing to make them seem like they're fully into indigenous issues and improvement. Particularly guys like clarko and demetriou that wanna rebuild their reputations to seem like they are the all inclusive good blokes.

Is there are problem with dealing with Aboriginal issues and promoting Aboriginal improvement?

Is there are problem with dealing with Aboriginal issues and promoting Aboriginal improvement?

Lol not at all I'm all for it, but I do think it's being used as a vehicle by some in the media to portray care for something that they think they can win a few 'good bloke' points over, instead of looking at the proposal logically.

I think the point is that if you want to pour 700mil into aboriginal issues then there are probably a lot better ways to do that than building a stadium in darwin (population 140k).

From what I know engagement and purpose and the junior programs that would stem from it would be remarkably beneficial for Aboriginals

From what I know engagement and purpose and the junior programs that would stem from it would be remarkably beneficial for Aboriginals
When Bastion EBA completed the initial feasibility study, they found that the social impact of an NT side could be worth as much as $462m per year. The FS determined that an NT club could not be established and sustained under a traditional club model. However, if it was funded via an unconventional model (e.g. through contributions form NT Gov, Fed Gov, NT-based mining companies, the AFL etc) then the investment would be justified by those organisations due to the significant, positive social impacts they predict it would have for the NT community.

Attachments

• IMG_0208.jpeg
    IMG_0208.jpeg
    212.4 KB · Views: 6
Then put $700 million directly in junior programs

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brilliant for the area, is that why the premier sporting competition in the country exists, to make areas better?

Yes, I would suggest that is a big part of their charter. and specifically referring to Aboriginal people, according to their RAP, yes.

1715952168448.png

Yes, I would suggest that is a big part of their charter. and specifically referring to Aboriginal people, according to their RAP, yes.

View attachment 1991902

I'd prefer to see them put effort into engaging indigenous communities in western sydney, the biggest indigenous population in Australia. It has a double benefit and doesn't put the competition under a lifelong burden of supporting a club in a tiny population area.

I'd prefer to see them put effort into engaging indigenous communities in western sydney, the biggest indigenous population in Australia. It has a double benefit and doesn't put the competition under a lifelong burden of supporting a club in a tiny population area.

i would prefer to see their efforts go to NT where Aboriginal communities' experience far greater challenges than anywhere else in Australia.

i would prefer to see their efforts go to NT where Aboriginal communities' experience far greater challenges than anywhere else in Australia.
And surely $700 million is better served helping meet those challenges than a new football stadium

Back