Player Watch #21 Errol Gulden - born to play

Remove this Banner Ad

Gulden.jpg

Errol Gulden
[Player Profile TBA]

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know why Errol slid so much in the draft. To me he was a clear top 20 talent.

I think in some cases the Northern academy hype machine can be to our detriment, but in some cases, the "footy states" hype machine can also be to their detriment too. A lot of guys in the SANFL and WAFL last year I think were over-hyped within their own states, and in the process, some of the Victorian NAB League boys on the sidelines, as well as the Northern academy boys, fell to the wayside. Errol being a prime example.

I don't know why Errol slid so much in the draft. To me he was a clear top 20 talent.

I think in some cases the Northern academy hype machine can be to our detriment, but in some cases, the "footy states" hype machine can also be to their detriment too. A lot of guys in the SANFL and WAFL last year I think were over-hyped within their own states, and in the process, some of the Victorian NAB League boys on the sidelines, as well as the Northern academy boys, fell to the wayside. Errol being a prime example.
I think we're saying the same thing but IMO the Vic, SA and WA footy media have a fair bit of tunnel vision. There is SFA NSW and QLD footy media to balance it out.
The Vics go a step further and only look at their "pathways" kids.
Generally I think the recruiters are a lot smarter and keep their powder pretty dry. We bag Dodoro a lot but the three first round kids they got all look very useful.
I can't wait until a Swans VFL side full of "no names" towels up a Vic VFL side . 🤣

Never understood the obsession with height. AFL is still a game for all types.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's interesting that both Caleb Daniel and now Errol Gulden are two of the most precise kicks in the game. Less distance between hand and foot on the ball drop. Some of the most erratic kicks for goal are the tall guys.

Was watching some NBA the other day, and the callers claimed Jayson Tatum had grown an inch and half, at 23. I didn’t think this was biologically possible, but maybe Errol is still growing, not that it matters really I know

Was watching some NBA the other day, and the callers claimed Jayson Tatum had grown an inch and half, at 23. I didn’t think this was biologically possible, but maybe Errol is still growing, not that it matters really I know

in-sole lifters?

My wife sat next to one of his high school teachers at the Adelaide game. Nice fella. Said that Errol didn’t have much interest in school. It was just about football. He also said Errol was a great young kid.

Hope the Swans still make him attend uni. There's life after football.

In the NBA they measure them wearing shoes, so your height can change depending on the shoe you're wearing.

I think we're saying the same thing but IMO the Vic, SA and WA footy media have a fair bit of tunnel vision. There is SFA NSW and QLD footy media to balance it out.
The Vics go a step further and only look at their "pathways" kids.
Generally I think the recruiters are a lot smarter and keep their powder pretty dry. We bag Dodoro a lot but the three first round kids they got all look very useful.
I can't wait until a Swans VFL side full of "no names" towels up a Vic VFL side . 🤣

you can have all the talent identification, academy-type programs, junior rep success, from the 'blue-blood' footy schools, footy states, recruiter due diligence, etc etc, but i maintain the one element no one can ever measure is the element that's never tested till a kid gets out on the field for his first senior afl game ... not sure if it's heart, character (that's maybe being unfair), or simply strength of will (which i regard as a hugely significant character trait)
from that point, the true making of a footballer starts ... all the other stuff obviously helps with preparation/expectation for drafting and stuff but it won't tell you what that kid will do in the hot glare of senior football ... eg (just off the top of my head) jack watts ... skills, size, background but never really had the true mettle of a top-class, battle-tested player ... and remarkably, the club that drafted him, melbourne, and north, and in the recent era, clubs like essendon, seem to have a bad habit of drafting/recruiting players that just don't stand up (the demons might be getting better at it) ... although north get the likes of ziebell and cunnington, probably tough enough but lacking something else (maybe just being picked by the wrong club!) ...
we can be damn proud of the record we have of picking kids who don't dazzle the recruiters enough at youth level but when it comes to senior football, they're ready, or if not ready straight away, they pick it up pretty quickly ... as proved by our record with rookie players ...

Does Eric have a huge wingspan?

Was watching highlights from a game earlier this year and his long arms stuck out to me for some reason. Seems to very easily get his hands away from the tackler and his ball drop from hand to foot is real short (hands seems to stretch closer to his boot than the avg player). Not sure if this is something they measure at the draft combine like they do in the NBA, but I'd love to know what his wingspan is. Seems like something that helps him compensate for his short stature.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was watching highlights from a game earlier this year and his long arms stuck out to me for some reason. Seems to very easily get his hands away from the tackler and his ball drop from hand to foot is real short (hands seems to stretch closer to his boot than the avg player). Not sure if this is something they measure at the draft combine like they do in the NBA, but I'd love to know what his wingspan is. Seems like something that helps him compensate for his short stature.
Sounds like a lot of sh!t

Gulden and Campbell both come down with stress related lower leg injuries at the same time. What are the odds?
The medical staff should be asked some pointed questions about this. We dont want to burn these kids out by 22.

Gulden and Campbell both come down with stress related lower leg injuries at the same time. What are the odds?
The medical staff should be asked some pointed questions about this. We dont want to burn these kids out by 22.
They should also be asked some pointed questions about why we have the smallest injury list in the game.

Absolutely pathetic, shouldn't have any injuries at all ever.

It's important that players report any and all twinges, pains, strains etc. Med staff aren't psychic. This is a trap for youngsters who are desperate to play.

He has arms like Glascott's monkey.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back