Player Watch #21 Errol Gulden - born to play

Remove this Banner Ad

Gulden.jpg

Errol Gulden
[Player Profile TBA]

Last edited by a moderator:
Big learning game for Errol last night I think. Firstly, he helped swing the momentum in the 2nd quarter with some very clever and tough pieces of play. Got himself involved perfectly. I think where he'll learn is that even though it wasn't working for him in front of goal (I believe he kicked 0.3 with a couple OOF, but could be wrong) if he just keeps his head up and continues working, he'll be of service to the team. You could see he was frustrated each time he missed a shot but he got on with it and continued showing up. Another 9 score involvements, 3 clearances, 5 I50's, and 2 goal assists is still a very nice night for an 18yo HFF.

In the first quarter I noticed he was getting a bit of attention too, at least it looked that way on tv. To be able to push through that and still deliver for the team shows the class of player we have on our hands.

Think he might be worth luring into a extension. Give him a few extra years on top. It might workout cheaper in the long term.

I love everything about this kid, right thru to his relationship with Pa.
Even after that highlighted kick to Hickey last week (mind you the kick from Parker from D50 to find Errol didn’t get the credit it deserved)... there was no hanging around basking in the glory... straight to the bench at a solid clip for a breather.
He is Mr Football in my mind!

Think he might be worth luring into a extension. Give him a few extra years on top. It might workout cheaper in the long term.
Seems to me the boys are getting good advice and signing for 2 more. 4 years in, just reaching prime playing and earning years. Very smart. Also, the club doesn't over commit at a time when we are carrying serious debt.

Great to hear that his grandparents are stalwarts of the Bridgewater footy club aka 'The Mean Machine'. They wear the red and white and have been rated the fourth best team in Victorian country football over the past 20 years by the Weekly Times.

it's great to see people who give their heart and soul to grassroots footy being rewarded in this way.

Seems that Bridgewater are hoping to sign Errol on as a one point player asap, though.

AFL 360 had a crazy stat that errol is leading the % of kicks inside 50 that are marked. he's 1st in the league by a long way. 47% vs 2nd who is around 35%. Crazy that a player with only 4 games experience is kicking the ball so well. Show also made the point that he's playing in one of the hardest positions for a young player (half forward) where often alot of young players in that position struggle to make an impact/get the ball.

He just always seems to know where to go and where to find space. Hope he keeps it up and makes AA in his first year.

AFL 360 had a crazy stat that errol is leading the % of kicks inside 50 that are marked. he's 1st in the league by a long way. 47% vs 2nd who is around 35%. Crazy that a player with only 4 games experience is kicking the ball so well. Show also made the point that he's playing in one of the hardest positions for a young player (half forward) where often alot of young players in that position struggle to make an impact/get the ball.

He just always seems to know where to go and where to find space. Hope he keeps it up and makes AA in his first year.

Getting the ball was never Gulden's problem. His problem in the years leading up to his draft were the problems that he was vertically challenged but through some hard work in his draft year he seems to have corrected that deficiency in his game.

Watching him live last weekend, what really struck me is how he never stops moving. Even when somebody is lining up for a set shot from outside 50, he's just constantly on the go, lots of little changes of direction, weaving around players. It would be exhausting for his defender.

Watching him live last weekend, what really struck me is how he never stops moving. Even when somebody is lining up for a set shot from outside 50, he's just constantly on the go, lots of little changes of direction, weaving around players. It would be exhausting for his defender.

I wonder what Gulden's stats are like in the first quarter compared to the last quarter as you are right that he has a massive tank.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That kick to Hickey was elite.

Does anyone else think if he had been in the VFL the last two years that he would have been considered too 5-10? I don’t think much homework is done on some of these academy players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone else think if he had been in the VFL the last two years that he would have been considered too 5-10? I don’t think much homework is done on some of these academy players.

The amount of research is basically whatever eddie says.

I believe other clubs just ignored Errol because they considered him too short i.e. ½ * Cripps

I believe other clubs just ignored Errol because they considered him too short i.e. ½ * Cripps

Yep. If Gulden was 180cm he would have been in the top 10 in the draft for sure.

Helps us as well that he was about 168cm in the All Stars game he played in in 2019, possibly the last game a lot of recruiters saw him play before the draft 14 months later.

Lots of little things about him. He is a very astute observer of the game. Always watching. He has a genuine voice that people listen to so you have to think he knows his stuff. Up close you realise his thighs are quite large for his build and he has quite a nice little burst.
As you point out, he is full of restless energy, always on the move, yet he seems quite easy to find for his teammates, something he shares with Wicks and JMac.
This kid is really something special. Beatson and Dalrymple must be laughing their heads off that we got him at Pick 32. Like Warner at 39. Bonus!

Lots of little things about him. He is a very astute observer of the game. Always watching. He has a genuine voice that people listen to so you have to think he knows his stuff. Up close you realise his thighs are quite large for his build and he has quite a nice little burst.
As you point out, he is full of restless energy, always on the move, yet he seems quite easy to find for his teammates, something he shares with Wicks and JMac.
This kid is really something special. Beatson and Dalrymple must be laughing their heads off that we got him at Pick 32. Like Warner at 39. Bonus!

He was probably a nightmare for his 4th grade teacher :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Back