Player Watch #11: Luke "Two Dogs" McDonald - Roo til end '26

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was having such a good year. That chase down tackle was unbelievable. Don't how we will stop the Adelaide forwards without him. Puts more unwanted pressure on Spud Firrito, Thommo and Tarrant to get the job done. All of a sudden we have drifted from the shallows to the deep end...

Was very good against Adelaide in Rd 1 and kept Lynch very quiet. We are doomed. Rest well Lmac!

Did this bloke somehow become the most underrated player on our list?

Yeah. You draft someone like Luke and you assume/hope he'll be smashing it as a midfielder in a few years time after drafting him.

However he actually plays small defender and flies under the radar. Then you lose him and realise how much you miss him.

I think the missing part is the same as Wright. They are both so important to our team.

Id argue Sam Wright is at least up there, defense hasnt cleared as well since losing him. Then with Luke added to it, ouch!

Yeah I agree Sam is a loss.

With Luke coming in with so much hype, especially on his kicking. In his first 2 years his kicking was disappointing, but his defending was first class. Still with so much expectation Luke became a bit of a target with his ability to find an oppo player with his overreaching long kicks from defence.

Somewhere the love stopped and he became a whipping boy by the board by the dominator types.

This year though he's been smashing the guys he plays on (see Adl Lynch) and his kicking has been s**t hot.

I reckon he's a massive lose and bazarley the most underrated player on our list. I expect by this time next year the circle jerks over him will be nauseating. The year after the media will be humming his balls weekly.

Good times for Luke ahead

He's certainly underrated externally. A number of times I've seen opposition posters say how he's been a 'disappointment' or he's 'fallen off a cliff' since his first season when discussing our youf. I assume they haven't watched us at all this season because before his injury he was one of our most important players.

Somewhere the love stopped and he became a whipping boy by the board by the dominator types.

This year though he's been smashing the guys he plays on (see Adl Lynch) and his kicking has been s**t hot.

I reckon he's a massive lose and bazarley the most underrated player on our list.
Listen to media mention our outs and Sammy is never mentioned. More underrated.

As for Luke, debut year was good, if not over-hyped for mine, and last year the clear deficiencies were even more evident. His form this year, however, clear testament to his hard work. Missing him and Sam a lot imo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was solid last night. Kicking was good!

Whilst he has somewhat of a free pass because he's had so long out of the game, I didn't think he was solid at all.

Was sloppy under pressure a number of times and he failed to go up and kill the contest when it was his time to go in the goal square one time in particular, which resulted in an inexcusable goal over the top when it should have been a regulation killing of the ball. Quite rusty but should be better for the run.

As you note though, nothing wrong with his kicking last night.

Almost certain he spent most the game on Stevie J, so while his offensive game was solid he failed to do his job
Agree to an extent. Can't blame him for the goal that Stevie J kicked from the ruck contest in the goal square though. Atley failed in that instance, miserably.

I'm fairly certain Luke had a lower limb injury, hamstring if I am correct? Why does his upper body seemed to have completely atrophied? From the recent nmfc video his body composition is not looking up to AFL defenders standard, he looks quite small.

If I see players training with pt's and what not over the off-season, as an accredited exercise scientist and physiologist - should I volunteer my time to the club during this period?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back