Past #22: Todd Goldstein - has advised NMFC he will seek opportunity at Essendon in '24 - 316 NM games/156 goals/'15 SBM/'15 AA/most hitouts in lge history

Remove this Banner Ad

Can definitely understand Goldy's decision to go to Essendon. They were probably the only club willing to give him a 2 year deal, plus Goldy and Scott were always close.
Yeah, more the fact that he could stomach pulling on their colours after spending so long at North.

Wait, so he had the option of Collingwood or *, and he chose *? WTF is he thinking? He must like not playing finals.

Some of you need to get real. An extra year on a contract for someone like Goldy is 8-9x what he's gonna get paid in the real world for the rest of his life. You have to take the opportunities that come your way.

Some of you need to get real. An extra year on a contract for someone like Goldy is 8-9x what he's gonna get paid in the real world for the rest of his life. You have to take the opportunities that come your way.
No issue with that. But why go to a s**t team who hasn't won a final since Adam was a boy, versus going to the premiers (who frankly don't have a strong ruck division).

Yeah, more the fact that he could stomach pulling on their colours after spending so long at North.

The reality is most players aren't gonna care, it's business.

Someone like Arch or Cunners, yeah, I think sentimentality would stop them, but they are the minority.

Even Boomer was shopping around for anyone after Brad gave him the arse.

History repeating, literally 100 years, North and Essendon were going to merge, the merger fell through and Essendon ended up taking a couple of our best players

Now they've got Brad Scott, Ben McKay and Goldy
A couple of years ago my wife had a meeting at Tullamarine about a community programme she was working on so I tagged along. I sat in the cafe (yes they’ve got one , grrrr) waiting for her. After the meeting she came down and said “come up and see this , it’s disgusting “, so we went up the lift to the “hallowed halls” ,where they keep the cups and special memorabilia, and there it was ,a large photo:”Syd Barker, Premiership Captain”! I said “that’s it! This place has to be razed to the ground!”

Choice of potentially a premiership, choice of languishing in 9th hmmm
I doubt this was a factor in the choice.

I would suspect the choice was based on game time and contract length.

I wouldn't be surprised if Brad has assured him of consistent game time and if it is not 2 years straight up it'll be 1 with really simple triggers for a second.

There is clearly an ethos of if you're not on the bus you're in the way going on. If Todd is off the bus then so be it.

Now he's just a ruckman that we used to know.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wait, so he had the option of Collingwood or *, and he chose *? WTF is he thinking? He must like not playing finals.

It is literally astonishing. The Pies will be right in the mix again next year, may well go back to back and he is a better ruckman than either of Cameron or Cox, in my opinion.

Imagine winning the tap down to the likes of Nick Daicos, De Goey, Crisp, Adams, the sublime Pendlebury when he goes into the centre bounces every now and again. At this stage, Merrett is the only one that *essendon have in their class.

It is literally astonishing. The Pies will be right in the mix again next year, may well go back to back and he is a better ruckman than either of Cameron or Cox, in my opinion.

Imagine winning the tap down to the likes of Nick Daicos, De Goey, Crisp, Adams, the sublime Pendlebury when he goes into the centre bounces every now and again. At this stage, Merrett is the only one that *essendon have in their class.

He likes Brad. He played his best footy under Brad. Brad has promised him the world. He's playing for the coin now anyway. Good luck to him. I hope he wins their B&F next year in a zero wins season.

It was particularly evident on GF day that their ruck capabilities were letting them down, mind you big Oscar M. for Brisbane has manhandled Goldstein pretty decisively on occasion when we've played the Lions in recent memory but he would've done a lot better than Cameron or Cox who got pushed out of the contest regularly on the day. Collingwood need a decent ruck and they would pay him well, so he'd be right in the mix for a flag and be on decent coin.

Maybe the difference in payouts is large, but on a purely football perspective none of what he's doing makes sense on paper. It's an incredibly cynical but financially motivated decision in the end that's based in comfort and that's his loss...or gain whatever either way it sucks.

I'm just glad we're bringing in people who are hungry or eager for opportunities, but that doesn't give me much confidence of where things stand for us in the ruck situation, we're in a far worse spot than the pies that we had years to plan ahead for.

Was talking to an *tonian last night, or whatevr they call themselves......Goldy going there on a 2 year coaching guarantee apparently. Expected to lay 5 games next year, max. It's about the coin.
That makes sense for him.

I‘m trying to be grown up about this but can’t, it turns out. Thanks for everything and * off to Tullamarine, then.

Agree with the general sentiment here that Goldie's prime motivation now is financial. And why not? He's at an age where >99% of players retire, so if he can still monetise it, then go for it.

Also, I suspect he truly doesn't feel he's got a full season left in him, which is why the lure of a premiership with Collingwood is not as appealing to him as it seems to the rest of us.

Disclaimer: this is guesswork.

I'm not so sure about that, he's 35 they're not paying him $1+ million a season maybe something like $600 – $700K, it's more like 2 - 3 times what he'll get paid.

Edit 35 not 32.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back