Player Watch #24 Dane Rampe

Remove this Banner Ad

eTidRiiY.jpg

Dane Rampe

Player Profile

Dane Rampe was denied at several drafts and didn’t land a spot on an AFL list until the age of 22. But ever since being rookie-listed in November 2012, the key defender has seized his opportunity. Rampe made his AFL debut in Round 1, 2013 and played his 150th match in 2019. He’s an All Australian, an emergency for the greatest NSW team of all time and a Bob Skilton medallist, and he’s led the Swans as a co-captain with Josh Kennedy and Luke Parker since 2019. It doesn’t matter if the opposition’s best forward is a tall or small; so versatile and reliable is Rampe that he’s always assigned to the toughest task in defence. Draft history: 2013 Rookie Draft selection (Sydney) No. 37; 2013 AFL draft rookie elevation (Sydney) selection No. 90.

Dane Rampe

DOB: 02 June 1990
DEBUT: 2013
DRAFT: 2013
RECRUITED FROM: Eastern Suburbs (NSW)/University of NSW (NSW)

Last edited:
I thought he was pretty ordinary yesterday, certainly not atrocious, but not good.
I wonder if he's the glue holding the backline together? The whole line as a unit was down yesterday.
North came at us hard, when we lose the ball in the middle and they attack quickly - like North did - our defense has little time to get ready. We look much better when our midfield can apply more pressure and not let them attack through the middle.

Unfortunately for us Collingwood will play a similar style North did yesterday and wont give us much of a chance to defend. It might be worth playing an extra in defence on Sunday.

Rampe had a down game yesterday but I've felt he's been good over the last month

I hardly ever comment on Rampe, because I always get so paranoid that my unwavering man-crush on him will shine through in any of my posts about him. But he is my favourite Swan and my God did he have a vintage Sir Dane afternoon against the Pies. So let me froth!

First, the goal - that signature burst of speed to part the seas and drive that raking boot all the way home for a massive goal. It is easy to forget what a sublime kick he is, both because he's gotten on a bit, and he's now surrounded by the likes of Blakey and Florent who are taking a lot of the aggressive kicks that Rampe used to do. But his goal was a nice reminder of what he can do.

Second, the bump - or spoil/smother/tackle. Whatever it was. Maybe what made it great is that it was all of those things rolled into one. But it just felt like a Sir Dane moment that was almost destined to be added to his brilliant highlight reel. The desperate chase, the fact it happened right in front of the cheer squad and seeing them rise to their feet in appreciation. It was a "Greatest Showman" moment with Buddy nowhere in sight. In that moment, Sir Dane was the greatest showman.

And finally, the fact he spent half the game with a blood-stained face. He is 'the Bloods' spiritually and, now literally, encapsulated.

BDCF3DFE-C4EB-4283-BF5D-2648649876A6.jpeg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He speaks thoughtfully and you sense he cares about others. He has that ability to not only say the right thing but say it in such a way that is genuine. Loses no respect.
To Chris and Joel and Geelong, a heartfelt congratulations. You guys have been the benchmark for god knows how long, and it's great to see you get reward for effort.
"To our boys, I'm so proud of your efforts all year and today. We'll be back better for it next year."
for Joel Selwood:

"Sometimes you've got to pinch yourself when you share the field with giants of the game, and you're an absolute giant. Congratulations."

“To our red and white supporters, both South Melbourne and back in Sydney, sorry we failed you today.

“Your support has meant the utmost of the last three years, during Covid and this year particularly back with crowds – thank you.”

The prospect of this man retiring with no premiership medals and an 0-3 Grand Final record is quite an upsetting thought.
He is my favourite. He is all class. Inside and out. What he does each year punching above his weight. Playing on Gorillas. Climbing goalposts. Being the goalkeeper. Running down those pesky small forwards. Delivering speeches at Swans functions about resilience that make you cry. He must be admired by all players especially guys new to the club. The epitome of bloods culture.

Very disappointing that after playing in the heartbreaks of 2014 and 2016, and knowing what the day requires, he didn't have what it took to get the team up for a grand final.

Hopefully the lessons not learned from the 2 grand finals will be learned from the 3rd.

If you're a "its the coach not the players" person then delete this and replace in the Longmire thread instead. Or if you're a "everyone is perfect and nothing needs to change" person then complain about the umpires or something, I don't know.

Very disappointing that after playing in the heartbreaks of 2014 and 2016, and knowing what the day requires, he didn't have what it took to get the team up for a grand final.

Hopefully the lessons not learned from the 2 grand finals will be learned from the 3rd.

If you're a "its the coach not the players" person then delete this and replace in the Longmire thread instead. Or if you're a "everyone is perfect and nothing needs to change" person then complain about the umpires or something, I don't know.
Well that made me smile and I didn't think there would be anything Swans related that could do that today! Thank you

Remove this Banner Ad

Back