Autopsy Practice Match: Sydney Swans vs Brisbane Lions 24th Feb @ 12pm Tramway Oval on Foxtel

Remove this Banner Ad

As far as ‘practice matches’ are concerned.. only take something from first half performances, the rest is basically a training drill.

And our first half wasn’t toooo bad at all
Very true. The second half certainly saw a lot of players with hands on knees, as you'd expect for the first hitout against opposition.

I really liked the Gulden/Rowbottom dynamic in the midfield in the first half. Felt like they had their fingerprints on every meaningful passage of play we had. Hopefully will see more of it next week, depending on what our plans are for Gulden and his midfield time.

Looked to me like our usual hard-hitters (Parker, Mills, Rowbottom) were taking it kind of easy on the physical stuff yesterday. And why wouldn't they? They're about to embark on the longest season in AFL history, and they'll be the guys taking the most wear and tear every week. They don't need to be taking it in a game with no premiership points.
I am not saying we treat it like a match for points. I am concerned with huge gaps in the game plan that were exposed. That is all. I know the idea of practice games is to try stuff. I just hope they do not try those set ups again any time soon

On JAT-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Why would our players try to go with or negate one of theirs? It was a match sim. It was for trying some of your own stuff against others. It wasn't even a practice match!
It is about structure. If your game plan is not working you change it so it does. Next week I hope they get that right. I am not saying they have to treat this like a match for points but there are standards that need to be kept. They were not in the third yesterday. As for a go with, I would have thought Coleman's opponent would need to pick up his manamyway? No? Even in a practice match.

On JAT-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app

No repetitive roars from thousands of oppo fans each time they pile on another.

Ben Affleck Reaction GIF
Triggered!!

I’m optimistic about McAndrew. In two years, he might just be the goods. He needs at least as much time in the gym as rucking. The ruck time is as important for developing his field play as it is his tap work. Wouldn’t it be nice to fix our seemingly perpetual ruck problem.

The Campbell dilemma will be resolved by not only what works best for him but also for the team. He might be a better mid/f than mid/d but Heeney, Hayward and Papley ain’t going anywhere and his kicking is too good to spend as a defensive forward. The small defender role might be a possibility worth exploring in a serious way.

I agree with those who query our centre set up. How does an 18 yo play so well in his first game against Parker, Mills etc? And he’s so small!! Too often, he had too much space.

I get it was a match sim, players are rusty, there’s some experimenting … so why didn’t someone tell Brisbane.

The elephant in the room who shall not be named is that Brisbane had a really good list that just got a whole lot better and played very well on Friday. Fxxx ‘em.

Finally, I’d love one of those high picks that play like a jet from debut. Just saying.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

I suggest the recruitment of Sheldrick and Roberts had this issue in mind.

We were always going to miss the great JPK in the guts.
Its just gonna take a few years

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would like to see us try to apply some lateral thinking to this problem. The tactic of effectively playing rucks as ruck rovers such as used by Geelong in the GF was very effective and needs to be countered.

There is potential for Amartey to play such a role as he has shown an ability to get clearances, even after losing the ruck contest. Gould also has a history of playing midfield which should be tested. Paddy McCartin may very well have potential as a midfielder, having sublime field kicking, game reading and marking ability, as well as the size to stick a pretty mean tackle.

We have tended to typecast these 3 players in their current roles when in reality they are both physically and skill-wise, suitable fore midfield roles.

Hi..I was at the game on Friday taking some snaps...this series shows Chad Warner's speed and strength gbreaking the tackle and then getting into clear space. Have a few more if anyone interested & can post more. P2240446-2.jpg P2240447-2.jpg P2240449-2.jpg

I suggest the recruitment of Sheldrick and Roberts had this issue in mind.

We were always going to miss the great JPK in the guts.
Oh absolutely. Gus has been built like a brick shithouse since his draft year and has always looked good at the in and under bull stuff. Obviously he can't replicate what JPK brought, arguably nobody in AFL history can, but the hope is he can be his own player and bring more to the table

I would probably put Gulden in that basket as he played really well in his first match, kicked 3 goals against Brisbane @ The Gabba & we won the match. So that would have to make you smile.
Basically the only time Gulden hasn't played well was when he was playing through an injury (and then getting back into the groove from said injury)

I hope Horse just goes **** it and has Gulden in at the first centre bounce in round 1, with Mills and Rowbottom.

He has got the smarts and you don't need size or strength if you have smarts.

I reckon Parker will maintain his position in the centre to begin with this year and continue playing a more accountable role on some of the better, bigger bodied midfielders like he did last year. I'm very interested to see where Mills starts games and moves around, on the weekend he was kinda everywhere but we need to make sure that actually helps the side rather than just patch up difficulties.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back