Autopsy Practice Match: Sydney Swans vs Brisbane Lions 24th Feb @ 12pm Tramway Oval on Foxtel

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon Parker will maintain his position in the centre to begin with this year and continue playing a more accountable role on some of the better, bigger bodied midfielders like he did last year. I'm very interested to see where Mills starts games and moves around, on the weekend he was kinda everywhere but we need to make sure that actually helps the side rather than just patch up difficulties.
I think we have three players who need more midfield time: Mills (who was rotating through different positions based on needs last year), Rowbottom (whose load has been managed so far but is now in his fifth year), and Gulden (who has been predominantly on the wing and forward flank).

How to get them all the extra midfield time they need, while keeping Warner's time at a consistent level?

I don't see any alternative besides Parker spending more time forward. I really like him in that accountable role in the midfield, because he can do it without losing his attacking qualities. But we've got to think about the future.

That phrase gets thrown around a lot, but often when talking about needing to prioritise McDonald (15 goals last year) over Buddy (52 goals), or about needing to prioritise Gould (never played a game) over Rampe (current captain and finished top 10 in our B&F), cases where I think prioritising the future would be to the detriment of the current team.

In the case of Parker, his midfield minutes would be taken and shared by three players who finished ahead of him in the B&F, and probably the smartest player on our list. But most importantly it would give those four, who I see as the core quartet of our midfield for the better part of the next decade, a chance to build their connection and cohesion, which is really all I think they're lacking.

I would do it round 1. If we are without anyone in that pressure forward role if Clarke, Wicks and Konstanty are all injured, I think Parker would be great in that capacity. He's already a top three pressure player and tackler for us, he won't shy away from contact, has elite goal sense. Just seems so obvious to me..

I think we have three players who need more midfield time: Mills (who was rotating through different positions based on needs last year), Rowbottom (whose load has been managed so far but is now in his fifth year), and Gulden (who has been predominantly on the wing and forward flank).

How to get them all the extra midfield time they need, while keeping Warner's time at a consistent level?

I don't see any alternative besides Parker spending more time forward. I really like him in that accountable role in the midfield, because he can do it without losing his attacking qualities. But we've got to think about the future.

That phrase gets thrown around a lot, but often when talking about needing to prioritise McDonald (15 goals last year) over Buddy (52 goals), or about needing to prioritise Gould (never played a game) over Rampe (current captain and finished top 10 in our B&F), cases where I think prioritising the future would be to the detriment of the current team.

In the case of Parker, his midfield minutes would be taken and shared by three players who finished ahead of him in the B&F, and probably the smartest player on our list. But most importantly it would give those four, who I see as the core quartet of our midfield for the better part of the next decade, a chance to build their connection and cohesion, which is really all I think they're lacking.

I would do it round 1. If we are without anyone in that pressure forward role if Clarke, Wicks and Konstanty are all injured, I think Parker would be great in that capacity. He's already a top three pressure player and tackler for us, he won't shy away from contact, has elite goal sense. Just seems so obvious to me..

I suspect Parker's tackling and pressure acts need to be evaluated based on his time at CBs and stoppages, where he's already close to oppo players. I'm on board with him spending time up forward, maybe time at CBs later in qtrs when the younger brigade (and oppo mids) are tiring. Though I'd be basing that on his marking ability, goal sense, and presence at forward stoppages. Not so much a pressure/defensive forward in general play.

I'd suggest we have another candidate for the Clarke or Wicks tagging or defensive fwd roles, someone who was used as a small fwd earlier in their career, has some speed, and has since developed a strong defensive game. Cunningham. Doubt he's in the Rd 1 team, but if he has form in reserves I think he can perform a valuable role in a variety of positions still.

Warner is just about the hardest bloke to bring to ground in the game ATM, I'd also suggest he's the most powerful and explosive mid getting around.

Huge year for him this year, no doubt he's gonna get more attention from oppo but if he can overcome that, no reason he cant take this league by the proverbial throat
Can't tackle Petracca.

But agree Warner is top 10 for that in the comp

I reckon Parker will maintain his position in the centre to begin with this year and continue playing a more accountable role on some of the better, bigger bodied midfielders like he did last year. I'm very interested to see where Mills starts games and moves around, on the weekend he was kinda everywhere but we need to make sure that actually helps the side rather than just patch up difficulties.

That's a good call on Parker, our young midfielders aren't physically ready yet to handle those big bulls imo. Mills could probably do a similar role. I'm very interested to see what Mills can bring up forward, it might also help him be fresher for his midfield stints. I wouldn't be surprised if Parker & Mills shared a similar role.

I'm more in the win now camp. We're in the premiership window right now & who knows how long it lasts. It's a young midfield group with Gulden now looking to join it. They're also still developing into their bodies & giving those 3 youngsters more midfield time might burn them out in the long run. Currently we have Parker who can still play a large midfield role which I think we should utilise. The 3 youngsters are still going to gain experience & cohesion without having the added physical burnout, imo we saw it in the PF & GF. Warner & Mills foray forward in the practise game might hint to how we're going to incorporate Gulden into our mid rotation. I think this move is very promising for our midfield balance.

A few thoughts:

1. I think we are under-emphasising the significance of Mills’ role this year. The coaches have basically told the bloke that he is the best on our list and that they trust him to know where to play to make the biggest difference on the game. I expect more than a handful of captain’s goals, captain’s spoils/intercepts and captain’s clearances this year. Commentators and umpires are going to love him, put him down for a good chance of the Brownlow.

2. I think the consternation around Campbell is fair. I still think he will become a really solid player, but if you listen to the end of Cox’s interview and the way he speaks about Gulden (knowing every role, attention to detail, easy to coach), it is pretty clear it is not the same for Campbell, yet. My guess is that Campbell was able to rely on his talent in the juniors and is learning you have to work your butt off for opportunity in the seniors, and he is in the process of learning how to do this (no shame in that). I also think that Sydney are a structure-heavy side and Campbell doesn’t quite fit any role at the moment - a bit like Blakey for a while as another poster noted. Campbell’s just needs to stick at it and his time will come.

3. If you close your eyes and pretend your sound is slightly off at the start of the presser, you would have thought it was Horse (and not Cox). My guess is that Horse hands over the reins to Cox selflessly at the end of his current contract (when Sydney will really be flying) and that the recent tradition of seamless coaching changes will continue. I’d also wager McVeigh seamlessly follows after that.

4. Doesn’t seem like Sydney are going to change too much from last year in terms of game plan. When we win, it will be similar to how we won last year. And when we lose, it will be similar to how we lost last year. Hopefully there will be a few fewer losses and few more wins than last year, especially if we make the Gf again. But when we do lose, get ready for a few good melts on here folks ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A few thoughts:

1. I think we are under-emphasising the significance of Mills’ role this year. The coaches have basically told the bloke that he is the best on our list and that they trust him to know where to play to make the biggest difference on the game. I expect more than a handful of captain’s goals, captain’s spoils/intercepts and captain’s clearances this year. Commentators and umpires are going to love him, put him down for a good chance of the Brownlow.

2. I think the consternation around Campbell is fair. I still think he will become a really solid player, but if you listen to the end of Cox’s interview and the way he speaks about Gulden (knowing every role, attention to detail, easy to coach), it is pretty clear it is not the same for Campbell, yet. My guess is that Campbell was able to rely on his talent in the juniors and is learning you have to work your butt off for opportunity in the seniors, and he is in the process of learning how to do this (no shame in that). I also think that Sydney are a structure-heavy side and Campbell doesn’t quite fit any role at the moment - a bit like Blakey for a while as another poster noted. Campbell’s just needs to stick at it and his time will come.

3. If you close your eyes and pretend your sound is slightly off at the start of the presser, you would have thought it was Horse (and not Cox). My guess is that Horse hands over the reins to Cox selflessly at the end of his current contract (when Sydney will really be flying) and that the recent tradition of seamless coaching changes will continue. I’d also wager McVeigh seamlessly follows after that.

4. Doesn’t seem like Sydney are going to change too much from last year in terms of game plan. When we win, it will be similar to how we won last year. And when we lose, it will be similar to how we lost last year. Hopefully there will be a few fewer losses and few more wins than last year, especially if we make the Gf again. But when we do lose, get ready for a few good melts on here folks ;)
Agree re. Mills.. Agree re. Campbell.. Agree re. Coaches.. and Agree re game plan

A few thoughts:

Yes, it was striking how closely Dean resembled Horse in his manner of speaking, expressions and descriptions of players' roles and expectations. Is he modelling himself on Horse consciously or subconsciously. They are definitely on the same page.

Reid here shows why he still of our best tall marking players ... you can see he out jumps McDonald in the first one ( leads to a mark and goal) and the second one shows when he has a good run at it he is very hard to beat. Would be great to see more of it.

View attachment 1616951View attachment 1616952
I've enjoyed watching a bunch of 2011 games on Youtube these past few weeks. The parallels with today's team are obvious. Here was a team completing a transition from the heroes of 2005 to be one step away from a premiership. Parker was wet behind the ears. Ted held our defence together with his sidekicks Smith and Grundy. Goodes, O'Keefe, the old warriors. Jesse White clunks them and misses, ckunks them and misses...There's a bit to cringe and an awful lot to like.

The 2011 Swans' style of play was fast, very physical and honest. Disposal wasn't as good as today's team but the hearts were huge. The commentators raved about young Sam Reid, a hugely gifted forward in his first full season, which made me wonder if McDonald can reach the same level over his career. Injury and opportunity are often luck driven. Sadly Reid had a bad run with injuries as he should have been approaching his peak. The recruitment of Buddy and Tippet pushed him out of the main role. Injury begets injury. It takes a good while to recapture good form and an even longer stretch to build upon it. When not cruelled by injury, Sam can use his size and strength very effectively.

Sam's been going through a good patch these last few years, ironically, he's finding some of his best form in the twilight of his career. He remains our best contested mark, one of our best tacklers and our best pressure forward, while he's also become very handy in the ruck and in defence. Watching Sam in training tells you all you need to know. He's like a hungry dog after a juicy bone. We all watched on in dismay as his absence hit us during the last two finals. I hope we enjoy a run of injury free years as we come towards the end of Sam's career. We're lucky to have he and Buddy as role models for what it takes to reach your best. Buddy for always striving to be better, despite being the best, and Sam for always striving to reach his potential, despite the setbacks.

Logan has put alot of work in to improve his fitness. When he got to the club he could barley get out of the square without needing a lunch break...he is covering the ground very well these days and getting up to hb to present an option.

Just needs to string it all together now

Not so. Logan has been relatively fit for his age/stage of development and his position (KPF) from the beginning. It is one of the reasons he was highly rated.

Logan has put alot of work in to improve his fitness. When he got to the club he could barley get out of the square without needing a lunch break...he is covering the ground very well these days and getting up to hb to present an option.

Just needs to string it all together now
Can he take a contested mark, or even spoil a big opponent yet? Cause last year he fell down like a little girl playing ring-around-the-rosy whenever asked to do either.

I would like to see us try to apply some lateral thinking to this problem. The tactic of effectively playing rucks as ruck rovers such as used by Geelong in the GF was very effective and needs to be countered.

There is potential for Amartey to play such a role as he has shown an ability to get clearances, even after losing the ruck contest. Gould also has a history of playing midfield which should be tested. Paddy McCartin may very well have potential as a midfielder, having sublime field kicking, game reading and marking ability, as well as the size to stick a pretty mean tackle.

We have tended to typecast these 3 players in their current roles when in reality they are both physically and skill-wise, suitable fore midfield roles.
I agree and suggested using Gould in the mids last year. I also suggested Amartey could also be used there. Paddy is thought provoking though. I had not thought of him in that role. Always saw him as a key position player.

On JAT-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Can he take a contested mark, or even spoil a big opponent yet? Cause last year he fell down like a little girl playing ring-around-the-rosy whenever asked to do either.
One of the best, THE most effective full forwards currently running around now, Hawkins, was not much good until 24-25 years old. To be a Swans supporter and deriding a very promising young player, playing in one of the most difficult positions, speaks to the credibility of people making assertions about that player.

One of the best, THE most effective full forwards currently running around now, Hawkins, was not much good until 24-25 years old. To be a Swans supporter and deriding a very promising young player, playing in one of the most difficult positions, speaks to the credibility of people making assertions about that player.
I kinda get ShireSwan's (admittedly harsh) perspective but I think Punts has made the point more effectively in the past. There's enormous hype and expectations around McDonald but it has to turn into results. Doesn't have to become an All Australian forward as a 21 year old, but start putting in more decent games than bad games, because I think to date that ratio would be the wrong way around.

Considering how much McLean & Amartey have copped it in the past when they were also young, developing forwards people didn't have much faith in, McDonald seems to get a pass because he's so "talented." Well OK, but that means nothing if he doesn't actually show it.

As of right now I think McDonald is just about our most overrated player, and it's not even his fault, it's the fans.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back