Autopsy Practice Match: Sydney Swans vs Brisbane Lions 24th Feb @ 12pm Tramway Oval on Foxtel

Remove this Banner Ad

Well no one looked as dejected as JPK because he gave his all that day & Warner was perhaps the closest to that.
Well unfortunately they will be judged on their last effort. You of course can choose not to do that but I think it's only fair.
Practice match or not, last week against Brisbane followed what I am saying may be the new pattern which is showing glimpses of no ticker.

These guys are not even close to having the ticker we had from the group of 2005/2006 era.
We are the new "Ferrari's" that Kirky used to refer to. Look good on the outside but when we look deep.....................anyway let's just see.
I'm still failing to see how not capturing JPK's visuals from 2016 means you aren't hurting as much, or you have no ticker.

I'd prefer not to have to do mental gymnastics from one week to the other, so I won't brand all but Warner as ticker-less.

By that logic, we saw in 2022, in the same game, halves where the team has no ticker, halves where they appeared to, but must have been a fluke.

We can change the goalposts to 05/06, I think you're going to be hard pressed to find many examples in the future of a team that willed things to happen so much.

Logan really needs to learn to hold his body position in a contest. Not only does he goet body out of the way but he gets sent to ground. It's the only real major flaw in his game from an ability level.

Hopefully with a bit more maturity he can improve in that area this year

Ticker.
Or lack of it.
I think you are right that they may have lacked ticker in the GF but not in the way you meant it. I think the boys showed a lot of fight in the GF, they never stopped trying, but the danger signs were there against Collingwood, they just ran out of puff at the end of the season (and got some stage fright). Having so many young players with so few pre seasons between them will do that to you.

They may have run out of puff against Brisbane because they are doing very heavy training loads at the moment, to help rectify what happened last year. How about we give them until the season proper before we start questioning their character? And maybe also a bit of patience. They’ll still be young this year.

I think you are right that they may have lacked ticker in the GF but not in the way you meant it. I think the boys showed a lot of fight in the GF, they never stopped trying, but the danger signs were there against Collingwood, they just ran out of puff at the end of the season (and got some stage fright). Having so many young players with so few pre seasons between them will do that to you.

They may have run out of puff against Brisbane because they are doing very heavy training loads at the moment, to help rectify what happened last year. How about we give them until the season proper before we start questioning their character? And maybe also a bit of patience. They’ll still be young this year.
It is only practice games, but last week Cats slaughtered Hawthorn and this week Lions easily beat the Cats. I know there are experiments and changes of personnel, etc but we need to acknowledge that the Lions are a good team that has just got better this year. I'm not at all worried by what happened last week, but I think the rest of the comp may need to sit up and take notice of the hordes from the north.

I don't buy the running out of puff. Getting belted in grand finals isn't anything new for the club lately

One thing people overlook about Logan is that he doesn't need to be a key forward.

With his hands in the contest and decent size, there's no reason he couldn't do a run in the midfield (similar to Blicavs),

With his tank and massive kick he could play the winger role similar to how Dawson used to play it,

He could also always be a serviceable player in the backline,

I'm not worried about being best 22, he has the attributes to play almost any role, but we need a key forward. I hope though, going forward, that we experiment with his position and are open to giving him a role where he get's more chances to get the ball. He could easily start in a wing role and role up to make is man more accountable.

I am worried about him being a genuine key forward, because the only way to know is if they become a genuine key forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You could be right there RedBlood.
Cats got a touch up against Lions too, though they were missing some handy types.

One thing people overlook about Logan is that he doesn't need to be a key forward.

With his hands in the contest and decent size, there's no reason he couldn't do a run in the midfield (similar to Blicavs),

With his tank and massive kick he could play the winger role similar to how Dawson used to play it,

He could also always be a serviceable player in the backline,

I'm not worried about being best 22, he has the attributes to play almost any role, but we need a key forward. I hope though, going forward, that we experiment with his position and are open to giving him a role where he get's more chances to get the ball. He could easily start in a wing role and role up to make is man more accountable.

I am worried about him being a genuine key forward, because the only way to know is if they become a genuine key forward.
I see Logan more as a CHF then dominant FF. He lacks the absolute height and bulk to be a Tom Hawkins type but certainly over time, develop hopefully into a Nick Riewoldt type. For this, he needs to develop his mobility, endurance, ball winning ability and disposal. He needs to almost become like a big midfielder and indeed, if he could pinch hit in their, that would be a sign that he has come of age. I see him outworking and outsmarting his opponent rather than monstering them. All this will take time. I'm still hopeful he will make it.

I see Logan more as a CHF then dominant FF. He lacks the absolute height and bulk to be a Tom Hawkins type but certainly over time, develop hopefully into a Nick Riewoldt type. For this, he needs to develop his mobility, endurance, ball winning ability and disposal. He needs to almost become like a big midfielder and indeed, if he could pinch hit in their, that would be a sign that he has come of age. I see him outworking and outsmarting his opponent rather than monstering them. All this will take time. I'm still hopeful he will make it.
Maybe we need a Logan thread if there isn't already

I don't buy the running out of puff. Getting belted in grand finals isn't anything new for the club lately
It certainly wasn’t the only factor or even the main factor. My point was that I don’t think it was a lack of heart. Maybe a lack of mental fortitude and mongrel.

I don’t often arc up at posts - but this one is pretty poor, on multiple fronts.
Which fronts would those be?
Calling a spade, a spade?
Did you not see him melt when a defender had superior position - and all he had to do was show some heart, some mongrel to get a fist to the ball? Dozens of times.
If all he has is taking a neat mark when on a lead all by himself...that's not taking him far in the AFL today, those marks just aren't there as often as they were 30 years ago.
Hilarious people treating the club like a religion and the players as saints, above criticism.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back