Delisted #25: Alex Morgan - Signed with North Melbourne as a DFA - 1/11/17 - delisted again - 25/10/18

Remove this Banner Ad

Good on him. Hope it works out for him with a fresh start.

Glad the club delisted him too in order to make it easier for him to move.

I believe he asked for a trade to North but Essendon refused during trade week. Not sure if they thought they could patch things up or his trade value wasn't high enough.

Morgan has done the professional thing in accepting a two year contract with another club - Can never be criticised for taking that option - So will the club go 40/4, 39/5 or 38/6.

I believe he asked for a trade to North but Essendon refused during trade week. Not sure if they thought they could patch things up or his trade value wasn't high enough.

If he asked for a trade we would have set something up for sure. It would have made landing the big three a whole lot easier (even if it was for a third rounder).

Yeah possible.

Suspect they knew they could let him go as a DFA anyway - plus we did have a busy period with other priorities.

If he asked for a trade we would have set something up for sure. It would have made landing the big three a whole lot easier (even if it was for a third rounder).
It would have been a struggle with a third due to North trading it's third this year and next for Port's double third rounders for father-son and academy prospects, also a deeper draft next year.

It would have been a token pick or 67 (fourth round) if a trade occurred.

He simply had no trade value. If a trade was done would of been something like pick 64 (North got that off WBD last year).
As his VFL form hasn't shown much except a handful of games.
A change of clubs is certainly in his interest and if North give him a few AFL games that might give him the kick start he needs.

Morgan has done the professional thing in accepting a two year contract with another club - Can never be criticised for taking that option - So will the club go 40/4, 39/5 or 38/6.

If he can become the dynamic running player he was as an underage player he certainly has value.

It's a bloody long way back, though and I think that it's worth pointing out at this point that there has been virtually no sign of the dynamic running player in his time at Essendon. He played maybe two VFL standard game this year and none last year. We've got options to cover him who have done a lot more and who I consider are much more likely to make it.

He had to take the better deal because it was much more likely than not that he would end 2018 on the scrap heap if he stayed with us. Good luck to him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He simply had no trade value. If a trade was done would of been something like pick 64 (North got that off WBD last year).
As his VFL form hasn't shown much except a handful of games.
A change of clubs is certainly in his interest and if North give him a few AFL games that might give him the kick start he needs.

I think there is a bit of a shitfight behind the scenes over this because Morgan had already rejected the 1 year offer before trade week, so with Essendon refusing to trade him the AFLPA would prefer that he is regarded as a Delisted Free Agent.

As it stands now he goes into the PSD and may not get to the 2 year deal at North.

I think there is a bit of a shitfight behind the scenes over this because Morgan had already rejected the 1 year offer before trade week, so with Essendon refusing to trade him the AFLPA would prefer that he is regarded as a Delisted Free Agent.

As it stands now he goes into the PSD and may not get to the 2 year deal at North.
He was delisted by the club today before the list lodgement thus he is a DFA automatically now.

Really? Never knew that clause existed.
Oh well keeps the PSD relevant i guess.

Stops players stalling on contracts and then just going to their club of choice as a DFA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back