Delisted #25: Alex Morgan - Signed with North Melbourne as a DFA - 1/11/17 - delisted again - 25/10/18

Remove this Banner Ad

There must have been a clear 'go home' factor for Bonner to have slipped that far. Was a standout player in the champs that year for SA

Bonner wanted to come to EFC.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If he can become the dynamic running player he was as an underage player he certainly has value.

It's a bloody long way back, though and I think that it's worth pointing out at this point that there has been virtually no sign of the dynamic running player in his time at Essendon. He played maybe two VFL standard game this year and none last year. We've got options to cover him who have done a lot more and who I consider are much more likely to make it.

He had to take the better deal because it was much more likely than not that he would end 2018 on the scrap heap if he stayed with us. Good luck to him.

Pretty much sums it up.

2015 draft looking like a bit of a case of "what if"
Four picks in the top 30 of which parish is a tick, Morgan a big cross and the jury out on Francis and Redman.
Whilst tippa brown and Hartley were wins as late or rookies another two good picks would've really set us up.

Four picks in the top 30 of which parish is a tick, Morgan a big cross and the jury out on Francis and Redman.
Whilst tippa brown and Hartley were wins as late or rookies another two good picks would've really set us up.

Getting Smith,Stringer,Saad more then makes up for it.

Francis was a consensus top 6 pick, can't fault that one.

In many ways I'm not that unhappy Morgan has busted, having said that he's a ripping fella and I wish him nothing but the best if he does indeed end up at North (how he'll get the best at North is a mystery for another day though).

I could certainly see the rationale of drafting him where and when we did given how lethargic our backline looked at the time, but you can't hit on them all no matter how good you are. We didn't pass on anyone I'll lose sleep over and McKenna and McGrath are already better than Morgan will ever be.

Good luck

Unfortunately not, you cannot be classed as a DFA if you reject an offer from your current club.

Think you'll find Morgan was advised he may be offered another contract subject to the results of trade week - This is common practice in the AFL every year - A player must seek other options in the meantime, and it's a case Morgan got lucky.

God knows why North would want this guy??? Has bee woeful in the Vfl. From a drafting perspective, was a sheedyesque selection from Dodoro, there appeared to be plenty of capable players and he tried to throw the Hail Mary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Though if you look at the picks just after Morgan/Redman, no-one stands out as a "kick yourself for missing him" superstar ala Luke Parker. They might still turn into great players, but as with Redman, the jury is still out.

Even the picks after Francis don't scream "Boy, I'd love him in the red and black". Many of the best ones were Academy players, so we weren't gettin them anyway. (Charlie Curnow probably the best of the what-might-have-beens).

Dodoro and his weird, second round picks that makes everyone cringe.
Steinberg and Morgan are the two where everyone wondered what he was doing.
If we had Parker and Mathieson, like most people wanted, we'd be in premiership contention.

Now we get nothing for him either.
I don't think Morgan was a weird pick. A bit speculative given he sat out of footy for a while and had a hamstring issues. He was quick and, from the limited amount I saw of him prior to him joining EFC, he seemed to be a good user of the ball with good vision. He filled a need for a quick rebounding defender but now we have Saad, McKenna and maybe McGrath filling that need.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

God knows why North would want this guy??? Has bee woeful in the Vfl. From a drafting perspective, was a sheedyesque selection from Dodoro, there appeared to be plenty of capable players and he tried to throw the Hail Mary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Who were all of the capable players selected after Morgan and what have they done at AFL level to this point?

As for the critique of the second round in 2015 it's ironic that posters cite players who have done the same amount of jack s**t that Redman has done as evidence of the mistakes which were made in drafting both Morgan and Redman.

Who were all of the capable players selected after Morgan and what have they done at AFL level to this point?

As for the critique of the second round in 2015 it's ironic that posters cite players who have done the same amount of jack s**t that Redman has done as evidence of the mistakes which were made in drafting both Morgan and Redman.
Riley Bonner had a pretty good final for Port

I just read this article on the AFL site.

deal-could-become-two-for-new-roo

After reading it I'm glad he's going. He mentions putting in hard work, but in reality he wants a lower team where he has an easier chance for Sr selection.

Not sure it's ever been brought up but perhaps Rhys Mathieson?

Riley Bonner had a pretty good final for Port

Four games in two years. Doubt he would have played more for us at least this year.

Not sure it's ever been brought up but perhaps Rhys Mathieson?

Doubt he would have been playing this season. He also scared a number of clubs off by being a complete flog in his interviews, or that's the story.

Norf supporters

4a7a79_f4a630f09011446abb33b713c70b0f82~mv2.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back