Delisted #25: Alex Morgan - Signed with North Melbourne as a DFA - 1/11/17 - delisted again - 25/10/18

Remove this Banner Ad

Losing their man isn't exactly a rare thing for draft aged small defenders though, even the good ones. So that's a non issue at this stage. It's a thing that doesn't always come naturally for draftees, because they're the cream of the crop, not the ones playing the lockdown roles at junior level.

At this stage he's just completely unintrusive in every way, timid even. Every thing he does when he gets the ball in hand is neat and composed enough to see that there's probably something in there but so far he's a bit of a disappointment for someone vaunted as a powerful and athletic impact player.
That's the most bang on description I've seen.

I put it down to confidence more than anything though.

Still got time on his side.

As in we hang onto to players for too long like Ashby in hoping they will make it.
One- Ashby hasn't been delisted yet.

Two- you're comparing a player in his fourth year on the list to Morgan. It's not really a prescient comparison.

1. Imo Asby should have been de-listed 2 years ago
2. You are right about Morgan.
Ashby showed some promising signs in 2014. It's what happened since that's been a bit, well, meh.

Anyway, not his thread.

Am I correct in saying Morgan was said to be the most 'AFL-ready' player from our draft? Or am I thinking of someone else?

Nah, I just looked it up, it was definitely him (I think he's a year older than most of our pics from this year).

I probably heard on it on SEN or something anyway, so big chance it was garbage.

I haven't seen him play at all this year (or at all) anyway so have no right to comment on him/his form.

I haven't seen him play at all this year (or at all) anyway so have no right to comment on him/his form.

That hasn't stopped others!

It was Eades who was hyped up.
Not really. Eades was the one where basically everyone said would take the most time straight after the ND.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was Eades who was hyped up.

Yeah I remember Eades being hyped as a bit of a 'steal' at pick 60-odd.

But some newspaper reporter or something said we took Morgan with plans for him to come straight in (I think he's slightly older than our other picks).

Can't really expect the media to know anything though.

Oh look, a player slightly older than the other draftees. He'll probably play some games. I'll just write an article saying he was brought in for immediate impact.

Seriously, how do these guys need a uni degree to do this?

Can't really expect the media to know anything though.

Oh look, a player slightly older than the other draftees. He'll probably play some games. I'll just write an article saying he was brought in for immediate impact.

Seriously, how do these guys need a uni degree to do this?

This was never the case given he was put straight on a slow programme due to his hamstring issues. The media wouldn't have a clue.

Morgan came in at 19 and already being relatively jacked, I'm pretty sure that's who they'd be talking about.

He came in at 19 because he walked away from TAC at one stage and did not play a season then came back as an overage player. He then missed a bit of footy with injury. He was not considered AFL ready by those who had seen him lay.

Given he's injured again he should now focus on rehab, strength and conditioning for the rest of the season, if he gets a game late then good on him but it's not a priority. He can then have a gradual build into the preseason with him aiming to participate 100% from after the Christmas break.

Whilst his body is letting him down we'll never know if he will or won't make it. There is absolutely no rush. Let's get him confident in his body, then he can focus on football and build the confidence in his ability. If it turns out his body isn't up to the rigours of league footy so be it, but he needs the chance to get this right before we judge him as a footballer.

He came in at 19 because he walked away from TAC at one stage and did not play a season then came back as an overage player. He then missed a bit of footy with injury. He was not considered AFL ready by those who had seen him lay.
How does an AFL ready bloke lay?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back