Player Watch #26 Luke Parker

Remove this Banner Ad

d05af3810baa11138a15ef8d759b18c8

Luke Parker
Luke Parker has plenty of football ahead and has already compiled a resume packed with impressive achievements. Since landing at the Sydney Swans via the 2010 AFL Draft, he has won a 2012 premiership medal, earned All Australian selection and won two Bob Skilton medals. In 2015, he was added to the club’s leadership group at the age of just 22, and has led the team as a co-captain alongside Josh Kennedy and Dane Rampe since 2019. While Parker is among the league’s elite midfielders, his strong marking and expert game awareness make him a genuine threat when rotating through the forward line.

Luke Parker
DOB: 25 October 1992
DEBUT: 2011
DRAFT: #40, 2010 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Langwarrin (Vic)/Dandenong U18

Last edited by a moderator:
There's two things for me.

1. Provided there are no injuries, does including Parker impact the structure of the team. For me, the answer is no, Parker can play 2 positions, and we have enough flexibility in the team to accommodate another inside mid.

2. If including Parker is detrimental to the structure of the team and a choice needs to be made going into finals. Who gets the spot Parker or Adams. Obviously form plays a part, but if I had to make a call, Parker gets the nod over Adams on every level. As an inside mid, as a forward, as the better player and as a player who has stayed loyal to the swans (irrespective of how well he's been paid).

I don't see #2 being an issue, firstly, because there are ways to accommodate Parker + Adams. But how s**t would it be if a call had to be made on the eve of the grand final? The player who misses out would pretty much be packing their bags for another club. There's no way that situation could be sugar coated.

My guess is that Parker will eventually come in for Roberts. In a big finals game, I would pick Parker over Roberts. And hope we had enough versatility in the team to cover Roberts role.

Lloyd would probably have to play more as a defender. Though from the half time footage of the Fremantle game, Lloyd seems still part of the defenders group.

Last edited:
My guess is that Parker will eventually come in for Roberts. In a big finals game, I would pick Parker over Roberts. And hope we had enough versatility in the team to cover Roberts role.

Lloyd would probably have to play more as a defender. Though from the half time footage of the Fremantle game, Lloyd seems still part of the defenders group.
Yup. Most likely. Possibly as soon as this week to get more strength against the Blues.

I reckon Mills may take Roberts spot

They would be 17 other clubs on the phone to his manager he will get to 300 either way but agree hope its with us.

Maybe he finally gets to Essendon? :sweatsmile:

I'm sure he'll get to 300 but would be sour seeing it happen elsewhere.

I'm also not convinced he's actually dropped off enough to not justify a place in the team. It's not like JPK last year where he started in the side and dropped out. He's also ripping it up in the VFL.

Hope he can find a place in the team. I worry about his pace now though. Is he now a step behind his opponent?

Surely isn't any slower than Adams?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good problem to have, we've just had a great win over a good team away from home, no Parker Campbell Mccartin and Mills, the season is tracking beautifully never had this depth before, conforting to know we have very good footballers available should we cop a few injuries or need to manage players.

Good problem to have, we've just had a great win over a good team away from home, no Parker Campbell Mccartin and Mills, the season is tracking beautifully never had this depth before, conforting to know we have very good footballers available should we cop a few injuries or need to manage players.

Sheldrick too.

I'm sure he'll get to 300 but would be sour seeing it happen elsewhere.

I'm also not convinced he's actually dropped off enough to not justify a place in the team. It's not like JPK last year where he started in the side and dropped out. He's also ripping it up in the VFL.
I don't think he's not in the team because he has dropped off, it's more because the team is gelling so well and, you know the old saying - if it ain't broke, don't fix it!
He'll be in the team soon enough, one way or another.

Just don't want to see his inclusion come at the expense of team cohesion. I can really only see him on the HFF and rotating with Adams through the mid but then who do you drop forward? I can only come up with Amarty but he proved why he is important to the forward structure on the weekend.

Just don't want to see his inclusion come at the expense of team cohesion. I can really only see him on the HFF and rotating with Adams through the mid but then who do you drop forward? I can only come up with Amarty but he proved why he is important to the forward structure on the weekend.
That's exactly why we haven't seen him yet, and props to Horse for sticking to his guns. No doubt Parker will come in for injury sooner or later. Right now i'm happy with Adam's ahead of him. Adam's is feeding our outside mids perfectly - In comparison i feel like Parker tries to do too much in getting the ball moving forward (including his dreaded over the shoulder kick which he does at least 3 times a game and was a prominent showing in his first VFL game highlights).

In saying that, i think it's actually Heeney who's pushed Parker out. Otherwise we would've seen Heeney push back into his hybrid forward role probably in place of Wicks.

Just hoping when Parker is back, he is instructed to limit his role to exactly what Adam's is doing now. It's been such a great compliment to the team. And would help with Parker's longevity.

Last edited:
That's exactly why we haven't seen him yet, and props to Horse for sticking to his guns. No doubt Parker will come in for injury sooner or later. Right now i'm happy with Adam's ahead of him. Adam's is feeding our outside mids perfectly - In comparison i feel like Parker tries to do too much in getting the ball moving forward (including his dreaded over the shoulder kick which he does at least 3 times a game).

In saying that, i think it's actually Heeney who's pushed Parker out. Otherwise we would've seen Heeney push back into his hybrid forward role probably in place of Wicks.

Just hoping when Parker is back, he is instructed to limit his role to exactly what Adam's is doing now. It's been such a great compliment to the team. And would help with Parker's longevity.

Happy to have Parker as a forward option though.

Happy to have Parker as a forward option though.
Again would only be viable for a like for like player, or at least similar. Wicks is probably the easy guy to drop but what Wicks brings is again completely different and has its own value. We saw what happened in the two games he didn't play.

If Mclean wasn't playing as much ruck as what he is then i would've said drop amartey for Parker. But just can't see a spot atm with Amartey as the focal tall.

If he was 45 gamer Jim Smith he wouldn't be discussed most likely.

Campbell was better in the VFL , Parker looked slow.

However he is close to 300 and has been a club great, so do you pick him based on the past? If it's just on this year why drop anyone for him?

But yeah as others said above 300 with another club would be kind of gross .

If he was 45 gamer Jim Smith he wouldn't be discussed most likely.

Campbell was better in the VFL , Parker looked slow.

However he is close to 300 and has been a club great, so do you pick him based on the past? If it's just on this year why drop anyone for him?

But yeah as others said above 300 with another club would be kind of gross .
Crazy how quick the tide changes. Who would've thought this day would come - being content with Parker playing VFL in arguably the prime of his career. Meanwhile we now have Adams taking his place which still feels so foreign to me, always seen him as a part of the furniture at Collingwood.

Even just as the sub (ironic after 2012) I'd be happy fitting Parker in.

I'm with this for sure. Imagine having our midfield cranked up like it has been and having a fresh Luke Parker who's angry that he isn't starting and desperate to win another flag as the sub to unleash in the 2nd halves of finals. Perfect.

I also must say I don't pay the Parker in for Amartey narrative. Amartey is actually getting undersold at this point imo - he's no star but he's steadily improving, kicking plenty of goals and he's more than competitive in the air. We go to him so often during games in the air atm and he's showing he's good enough. He'll never be a top 15 player in our side but his place in our structure is genuinely important imo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back