Player Watch #26 Luke Parker

Remove this Banner Ad

d05af3810baa11138a15ef8d759b18c8

Luke Parker
Luke Parker has plenty of football ahead and has already compiled a resume packed with impressive achievements. Since landing at the Sydney Swans via the 2010 AFL Draft, he has won a 2012 premiership medal, earned All Australian selection and won two Bob Skilton medals. In 2015, he was added to the club’s leadership group at the age of just 22, and has led the team as a co-captain alongside Josh Kennedy and Dane Rampe since 2019. While Parker is among the league’s elite midfielders, his strong marking and expert game awareness make him a genuine threat when rotating through the forward line.

Luke Parker
DOB: 25 October 1992
DEBUT: 2011
DRAFT: #40, 2010 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Langwarrin (Vic)/Dandenong U18

Last edited by a moderator:
The extent of the injuries may disagree with you. I reckon 1 or 2 more.

Yep probably 4-5 is on the low end and we may be able to claim good behaviour to end with 4-5 but you are probably spot on with 6-7. Anything in that range is what I’d expect. It was just brainless and at the high end of carelessness. It’s unfortunate, luckily let’s be real he wasn’t playing in the top side but it’s still bad for our depth and he’ll have to play another 3-4 when he returns in the VFL.

Yep probably 4-5 is on the low end and we may be able to claim good behaviour to end with 4-5 but you are probably spot on with 6-7. Anything in that range is what I’d expect. It was just brainless and at the high end of carelessness. It’s unfortunate, luckily let’s be real he wasn’t playing in the top side but it’s still bad for our depth and he’ll have to play another 3-4 when he returns in the VFL.
He was unlucky. He tried to bump but accidental head clash probably caused the injuries to the other player. As they say, if you decide to bump you have to wear the consequences. Any injuries that occur from a bump are taken into account when determining the length of suspensions/penalties. Parker is not a thug. He is a hard at it player. He has been voted by the players in the AFL in the past as the hardest player in multiple years in their annual poll.
This incident just got out of hand and he will pay the consequence.
It is unfortunate for him and the player he hospitalized.

He was unlucky. He tried to bump but accidental head clash probably caused the injuries to the other player. As they say, if you decide to bump you have to wear the consequences. Any injuries that occur from a bump are taken into account when determining the length of suspensions/penalties. Parker is not a thug. He is a hard at it player. He has been voted by the players in the AFL in the past as the hardest player in multiple years in their annual poll.

100% there’s no winners in this I just hope the player who is injured makes a full recovery and is being offered all the support he needs. Whatever Parker gets is such a minor thing in this, our thoughts should be more about the one who got injured

The 'thug' stuff is nonsense but he wasn't unlucky. The other player was barely even in the contest. He chose to take the opposition player out. The unlucky player was the Frankston player.

Even without the head clash, you can shepherd for a teammate without needing to knock the opposition player into next week.

It wasn't as bad as the Webster one, but was worse than the Ca Brown hit on McCartin. And he deserves a suspension somewhere in between imo.

Last edited:
Turning into a bit of a nightmare season for Parker. Missed 6 weeks with a broken arm, 3 weeks in the VFL, now looking at a 5 or 6 week holliday. If he gets back into playing for us in the AFL it's not going to be until closer to finals...
It's a shame, but on the plus side, he should be fit and hungry if we need him come the end of season and Septemher.

Supremely confident he'll make an appearance in the best 22 at some point as we likely rest some players closer to finals.

Really the only window where he could have come in was after the loss to Richmond but he was still injured then. I don't think the Match Committee wouldve overreacted to 1 bad day at the office though.

Maybe the West Coast game wasn't great for the team but we never looked back since then. Knock on wood there is no injuries to the team. Hard to get back into the side.

What if he played in Round 1, we will never know. Maybe Grundy would have made Parker look better. A prime example is 2 beautiful centre clearances that led to goals 10 seconds later thanks to Grundy's work after the tap. But it's also a sliding doors moment for Heeney in Parker's absence, seeing him in Brownlow medal form and I don't think the MC want to ruin that. Parker not being selected while Rampe came right back in was also telling. MC is sticking fat with the 3 talls lineup allowing them to gain some experience together and it feels like they are getting better each week so they don't want to play with that either.

6-7 weeks is insanity.

I really don't know what it is about a club legend that's pissed a few of you off but the utter indifference to him losing his spot to injury, to accusing him of trying to iron out an opponent beyond a bump gone wrong is really rubbing me the wrong way.

If you don't think he deserves his spot fine, we'll disagree, but that's an opinion. But the fact that so many of you are happy to throw away what he's done for the club and let him languish in the VFL through no fault of his own just because we've won a few games give me the royal shits.

6-7 weeks is insanity.

I really don't know what it is about a club legend that's pissed a few of you off but the utter indifference to him losing his spot to injury, to accusing him of trying to iron out an opponent beyond a bump gone wrong is really rubbing me the wrong way.

If you don't think he deserves his spot fine, we'll disagree, but that's an opinion. But the fact that so many of you are happy to throw away what he's done for the club and let him languish in the VFL through no fault of his own just because we've won a few games give me the royal shits.

I share your frustration with Parker languishing in the VFL.

What he has done for the club should have no bearing on his penalty though.

If you think he deserves a fine. That is your opinion.
If a player took out Heeney in similar circumstances would you also say he only deserves a fine?

6-7 weeks is insanity.

I agree with you that 6-7 weeks would be insanity. But it's also the current route AFL have decided to take on head high contact. It is what it is. I'd love him back in our side, but it'll have to wait.

6-7 weeks is insanity.

Who's throwing away what he's done for the club? And who's happy that he's in the VFL? I don't think anyone's happy about it, but 44 doesn't fit into 22. It is what it is.

I'm not happy that Parker is in the VFL, but I AM happy that the best 22 is doing so well that he isn't required at the moment.

Same as O'Keefe's last season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Turning into a bit of a nightmare season for Parker. Missed 6 weeks with a broken arm, 3 weeks in the VFL, now looking at a 5 or 6 week holliday. If he gets back into playing for us in the AFL it's not going to be until closer to finals...
Taylor is known for his soft tissue injuries at the pointy end of the season so there’s every chance Parker gets back in but now it gives Sheldrick the opportunity to press his case while Parker has to bide his time on the sidelines.

The only other way I can see Parker getting a sniff is if Wicks’s production as the pressure forward declines which seems doubtful.

Taylor is known for his soft tissue injuries at the pointy end of the season so there’s every chance Parker gets back in but now it gives Sheldrick the opportunity to press his case while Parker has to bide his time on the sidelines.

The only other way I can see Parker getting a sniff is if Wicks’s production as the pressure forward declines which seems doubtful.
And that is not a bad thing.

6-7 weeks is insanity.

that seems a bitter overreaction ... certainly, on my part, i was surprised he hadn't returned to the senior side by now
i'm not "indifferent" at all, it's disappointing for him and sad for a club legend in that it's sad when older players' careers start to fade ... but that's a reality of life and certainly of sport, and he's far from the first elite athlete, and certainly not the first ageing swans player, to go through this

i don't believe he's finished but the coaching staff can't find a place for parker based on the form of the team and players who are being picked
there were many posters here last season asking questions of parker ... and it's just a fact there are elements of his game that no longer fit in with how the swans team of 2024 is playing ...
but to say "just because we've won a few games"!??! we've won nine from 10 and are clearly the best side after 10 rounds, that's a pretty significant justification for the coaches and team selectors
the team being picked is performing beyond what anyone really expected and you surely cannot begrudge fans being thrilled
you sound like you resent the team being successful because a club champion can't make it back in, and i really don't believe that could be the case as i respect and mostly agree with your posts

parker was injured when our round one team was picked, that's just bad luck ... and, yes, it's a matter of opinion on this board about whether he should have made it back into the seniors by now ... but he's not being "left to languish", that's the only place he can be in order to earn his place back in the senior side ... again, that's a reality of the sport

as for what happened on friday night, parker did the wrong thing, nothing more than that, and he will pay the penalty

6-7 weeks is insanity.

It’s not really. Most of these tribunal incidents have got 4 weeks this year and that’s without sending players to hospital. He isn’t this type of player and one poor incident shouldn’t make him as a player but this was extreme on the level of carelessness. There was just no need for it. Our thoughts should be with the player who is injured.

This wasn’t Jimmy Webster bad who got 7, but it’s worse than the usual 4 weeker. If we get only 5, take it and run they may go 6 weeks which is on the appropriate side of harsh.

If Websters hit where he intentionally lined up Simpkin from metres away (who wasn't in play) , left the ground and knocked him unconscious is worth 7, Parker shouldn't be getting any more than 5 IMO.

I share your frustration with Parker languishing in the VFL.

What he has done for the club should have no bearing on his penalty though.

If you think he deserves a fine. That is your opinion.
If a player took out Heeney in similar circumstances would you also say he only deserves a fine?
I wasn't necessarily talking about this incident. He deserves 3-4 IMO.

It was just caught up in a broader, unhinged rant about him not getting a crack in the top side.

This isn't Okeefe or JPK falling off a cliff - and Okeefe got a crack when healthy before it was obvious he wasn't up to snuff. No such respect has been afforded to Parker.

It was just caught up in a broader, unhinged rant about him not getting a crack in the top side.

This isn't Okeefe or JPK falling off a cliff - and Okeefe got a crack when healthy before it was obvious he wasn't up to snuff. No such respect has been afforded to Parker.

No one has deserved to be dropped for Parker regardless of his past performances. There’s a reason our midfield looks a mile better this season and it isn’t just Grundy- we finally player Heeney where he should have been. He’s the one that has replaced Parker in there.

Parker will come back into the side. He is too good a player. It's just that the team is going too well for him to replace anyone. He knows that. He is not falling off a cliff. Conversely most players are n the 22-27 range age that are kicking arse.
Horse cannot say Parker is older than you so you have to give up your spot. Injuries and form will dictate who plays.
Like a lot of players on the fringe, he has to wait his opportunity and hold on to it.
This is a very special team getting better and better each week. You have to earn your spot in the team and keep it. Look at Campbell. In any other team in the AFL he would be a lock. Not in this team. Just like Parker.

And to be fair, no one but a select few would predict we would be this good so far. Top 4 was the expectation, but to be the best side by a fair way? In our wildest dreams...

If we were winning by just 1-2 goals in some games and just being in the pack it would have been one thing. Parker wouldve likely come back into the side it that was the case. But we took care most of the current top 8 quite comfortably and a % of 154 reflects that.

Just got to wait his turn at the end of the H&A season. FYI I thought Parker would have been back against the Giants.

It’s an interesting one. He’s not going to be less of a legend because he couldn’t crack into a winning side. But I do know there’d be plenty here going nuts if ladhams had done the same thing. The fact that heis a club legend is why there’s sadness not hostility

As for where’s at - well I was one of those who was ok with Mitchell leaving in 2017 because he was behind Parker both as a midfielder and more importantly as a forward option. But time comes to everyone and we don’t all get to go out the way we want. I don’t want us to suffer any injuries and I’d like Parker to force his way in. And that’s why this is such a waste. Him bumping a guy doesn’t happen in the afl any more. Indeed players barely try to shepherd most of the time. So him hitting a guy hard in a meaningless game is just such a waste

I expect him to get 5-7 and I’m not hugely against that if the injuries sustained are those in the media. That makes it so hard for him as there might be just 4-6 games left for him to get a look in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back