Autopsy 2nd Semi Final: Adelaide V Collingwood Sat 12th Nov. 3.40 pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Well done to everyone in this team!!
Damn we fought hard. All year.

We just are lacking tall fwds.
Would love to know what Barber has done wrong?
Trade for a 20 year old and then don’t play her?
As much as Fowler is a jack of all trades, how she and Moloni are getting a game ahead of Barber is beyond me.
But we don’t know the inside story….so it probably doesn’t bode well for Olivia that she’s not getting a game when we are crying out for a tall fwd.

We can’t make many changes via draft/trading. So it’s going to be about what we do when bree/brit come back.
Ruby to HB.
Liked the idea of wiz up fwd. but again we’re playing mid sized players.
Our fwd line wasn’t horrendous from an opportunity perspective . We had the worst accuracy all year.
So there are plenty of positives to take out of it.
Head down girls for next pre season! Thanks for the year. Really enjoyed watching.

This was easily the most predictable Colingwood season yet. Everybody that Collingwood were supposed to beat they beat, and everybody that they were supposes to lose to they lost. The sad part is where has Collingwood improved for the future? I don't understand why so much opportunities have been given to veterans instead of their youth. Lauren Brazzale, Ash Brazill, Alison Downie are just a few examples. Whay not give more opportunities to Barber, Moloney, Blair, and Taylor?

Contract signings also look like a massive issue, they need a new list manager. You can't sign Erica Fowler on a two-year deal to have her play two games a season. And you can't sign a new draftee (Chaston) for two years as soon as she enters the club even though she couldn't even make the Vic Metro team. Sara Rowe is another issue. She kicks at 50% efficiency and hasn't improved her game since her inauguration. Has Collingwood just signed Rowe to keep Ruby Schliecher happy? I hope not.

Everybody has been complaining about the forward line issues. It's hard to even judge our forwards based on our clearance work. Changes need to be made before Bonnici and Davey return. I don't know about anybody else, but considering we have to get rid of at least five players with the upcoming draft (I believe), here's my picks.

Alison Downie
Erica Fowler
Eloise Chaston
Steph Chiocci
Sara Rowe (Only delist if Sydney won't take her)

Trade Bait

Jordan Membrey
Imogen Barnett
Imogen Evans

This was easily the most predictable Colingwood season yet. Everybody that Collingwood were supposed to beat they beat, and everybody that they were supposes to lose to they lost. The sad part is where has Collingwood improved for the future? I don't understand why so much opportunities have been given to veterans instead of their youth. Lauren Brazzale, Ash Brazill, Alison Downie are just a few examples. Whay not give more opportunities to Barber, Moloney, Blair, and Taylor?

Contract signings also look like a massive issue, they need a new list manager. You can't sign Erica Fowler on a two-year deal to have her play two games a season. And you can't sign a new draftee (Chaston) for two years as soon as she enters the club even though she couldn't even make the Vic Metro team. Sara Rowe is another issue. She kicks at 50% efficiency and hasn't improved her game since her inauguration. Has Collingwood just signed Rowe to keep Ruby Schliecher happy? I hope not.

Everybody has been complaining about the forward line issues. It's hard to even judge our forwards based on our clearance work. Changes need to be made before Bonnici and Davey return. I don't know about anybody else, but considering we have to get rid of at least five players with the upcoming draft (I believe), here's my picks.

Alison Downie
Erica Fowler
Eloise Chaston
Steph Chiocci

Trade Bait

Jordan Membrey
Imogen Barnett
Imogen Evans

I would add Frederick to the delistings as well. Great person and ambassador for women's footy, but she just doesn't look anywhere near the player she was earlier in her career at Brisbane. Players that play on her, just look to athletic and mobile.

Alison Downie
Erica Fowler
Eloise Chaston
Steph Chiocci

Trade Bait

Jordan Membrey
Imogen Barnett
Imogen Evans
Id keep Rowe.(average year admittedly, but better than what shes showed.
Id keep barnett. I think she has some upside
Keep Membrey 1st year back from ACL
Definatly Delist
Frederick
Chaston
downie
Not sure who else.

Alison Downie
Erica Fowler
Eloise Chaston
Steph Chiocci

Trade Bait

Jordan Membrey
Imogen Barnett
Imogen Evans
Agee with some of it. But drafting this year is limited.
So depends on who we can trade in.
Expect minimal changes.

Downie
Chasten
Fowler

Think they are no brainers.

I’d add Ling to this. Nothing except running ability. Offers nothing offensively.

Rowe. Attempt to trade her. Just cannot handle anything tough. Found out as the speed has gone up.

Barnett - saved herself with Ruck duties.
Evans - def keep. Will be great in a few years!!
Membrey - 50/50 on this. Good as a 3rd tall but asking her to play 1st/2nd.

Minimal year for changes IMO due to the nature of this off season.

Frederick, since I stopped seeing her as a star, has been serviceable in her role. So she stays for leadership and experience. But can’t see her lasting beyond next year.

Steph - same. She’s clearly a great leader and we’re not 100% carrying her just yet, if she wants to go again….it won’t be the worst call and we 10000% owe her the choice!!!!! She’s be enormous in building our culture. She deserves to define her own exit.

Id keep Rowe.(average year admittedly, but better than what shes showed.
Id keep barnett. I think she has some upside
Keep Membrey 1st year back from ACL
Definatly Delist
Frederick
Chaston
downie
Not sure who else.

Chiocci has had a great career, l think she should also be given a tap on the shoulder. Retire, and give her a role on the coaching staff....

Chiocci has had a great career, l think she should also be given a tap on the shoulder. Retire, and give her a role on the coaching staff....
No.

She is still best 22 given our list.
Given the league and where it is, coupled with what she has done, she can decide what she wants to do.

No.

She is still best 22 given our list.
Given the league and where it is, coupled with what she has done, she can decide what she wants to do.
Not anymore. Chook keeps handpassing to opposition and doesn't look like she has the speed she had in the previous season. Never been a solid frame, it's time to hang up the boots. She has been a great soldier, but her time is done.

Agee with some of it. But drafting this year is limited.
So depends on who we can trade in.
Expect minimal changes.

Downie
Chasten
Fowler

Think they are no brainers.

I’d add Ling to this. Nothing except running ability. Offers nothing offensively.
I would not want to lose Lin. She's basically the best wing we have. I could see Brown on the other wing but that's it. Chiocci looks done and Rowe shouldn't be on the field.

Not anymore. Chook keeps handpassing to opposition and doesn't look like she has the speed she had in the previous season. Never been a solid frame, it's time to hang up the boots. She has been a great soldier, but her time is done.
In a dog eat dog world, yes she gets hangs them up.
But right now, with the leagues the way it is and what she has done for our club….she gets to choose her exit.

Watch today again and she wasn’t our worst.
This year is not a golden draft. So she absolutely gets another year in my book if she wants it.

If you want a more contentious call….stacka is on the blocks before Steph in my book.

I would not want to lose Lin. She's basically the best wing we have. I could see Brown on the other wing but that's it. Chiocci looks done and Rowe shouldn't be on the field.
Lin has no weapons at all. In multiple contests today she shows absolutely nothing.
Hanging your hat on running back to goal line to touch the ball is not aflw quality.
Again…she survives due to the draft and trade issues this draft.
But she isn’t on my list next year…

There is a overager (19 year old +) draft early next year. So I wonder if they'll do a trade period at all. I wonder when the next season will start. I feel they need to have it end before cricket season starts.

Overall this season I thought we battled pretty well given we knew coming into this we would be another season without Bri and one without Brit. Touch wood, both will be back and fit for next season and they are gonna make a huge difference. I think we have underestimated just how good they made us, we relied on them a great deal.

Coming into this season given what I mentioned about, I think there wasn't a whole heap of expectation. To win the amount of games we did and to get this far is a credit to the team. To the fight they have bought every week.
But what this season did give us was improvement from the middle tier with the likes of Butler, Cann and Allen.

New recruits Brazalle and Sansonetti have provided a good role to the team this year.
EJ just goes from strength from strength. Just can't imagine how good she is gonna be in the next couple years as she plays more games and matures.

I really like what Barnett has bought to this team. A good pair of hands, but that was no surprise given her history in the VFLW. Using her in the ruck gives her an extra kick to her game.

Sabrina... what to do. They keep saying she provides a good target and to bring the ball to ground, but unfortunately that's all she can do. How long can we withstand her in our forwardline thats dyfunctional? We should be getting games into Barber.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lin has no weapons at all. In multiple contests today she shows absolutely nothing.
Hanging your hat on running back to goal line to touch the ball is not aflw quality.
Again…she survives due to the draft and trade issues this draft.
But she isn’t on my list next year…
I think we'll have to agree to disagree on that one. But fair enough I see it from your point of view. However, in her first season Lin kicked four majors (I believe) as a wing. Rowe's last good season was back in 2020, and Chiocci looks to be done. Like you said there is not much in this year's draft and we are very short in the wing stocks. Lin, Brown, possibly Porter, and then there is Blair. We don't know what she will bring but I am keen to see her at VFLW level.

In fact, I'd like to see Frederick, Porter, Moloney, Brown, Lin, James, Blair, and Taylor all with a solid season in the seconds because they clearly need it.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on that one. But fair enough I see it from your point of view. However, in her first season Lin kicked four majors (I believe) as a wing. Rowe's last good season was back in 2020, and Chiocci looks to be done. Like you said there is not much in this year's draft and we are very short in the wing stocks. Lin, Brown, possibly Porter, and then there is Blair. We don't know what she will bring but I am keen to see her at VFLW level.

In fact, I'd like to see Frederick, Porter, Moloney, Brown, Lin, James, Blair, and Taylor all with a solid season in the seconds because they clearly need it.
Firstly…..how good is it for womans footy that two crazy’s are discussing in depth team structure and player strengths in a pure athletic and pies focused lense!!!
Now that that’s out of the way…..

If we want to beef up wingman, the Allen is the one. She’s a jet.

Porter is a lock down defender at best. Lin is just the same.she has no offensive attributes.
Rowe, as much as I thought she would be awesome, hasn’t progressed and Sheridan a has gone way past her. Sheridan is really underrated and her ability to stick to the task over the past two weeks is very very impressive.

Worry for Blair if she’s not getting a game this year. Long way from here.
Same with barber.

Moloney,Frederick & porter will keep their spot….but after next year I doubt they are on the list (along with Steph assuming she goes on).

Firstly…..how good is it for womans footy that two crazy’s are discussing in depth team structure and player strengths in a pure athletic and pies focused lense!!!
Now that that’s out of the way…..

If we want to beef up wingman, the Allen is the one. She’s a jet.

Porter is a lock down defender at best. Lin is just the same.she has no offensive attributes.
Rowe, as much as I thought she would be awesome, hasn’t progressed and Sheridan a has gone way past her. Sheridan is really underrated and her ability to stick to the task over the past two weeks is very very impressive.

Worry for Blair if she’s not getting a game this year. Long way from here.
Same with barber.

Moloney,Frederick & porter will keep their spot….but after next year I doubt they are on the list (along with Steph assuming she goes on).
LOL I like the cut of your jib mate. And yes Sheridan, I remember watching her for the first time in Black and White and I knew, she was a natural footballer. Allen is a gun all around but she's that third tall we need down back, she can play any role but it is in the backline that she is Queen.

As for girls not getting a go, maybe we need a new coach. I nominate Penny Cula-Ried.

Which “seconds” would that be though?
There are not enough players on the AFLW lists to form teams.

Not sure if you are aware, but 2 teams are formed from unpicked senior players from 3 AFLW to create scratch matches.

AFLW/AFL needs to get serious, align the season with the AFL (which will keep professional umpires on the field for AFLW) and expand list sizes, unfortunately the talent does not yet exist due to it only being 7 seasons down to do this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure if you are aware, but 2 teams are formed from unpicked senior players from 3 AFLW to create scratch matches.

AFLW/AFL needs to get serious, align the season with the AFL (which will keep professional umpires on the field for AFLW) and expand list sizes, unfortunately the talent does not yet exist due to it only being 7 seasons down to do this.

I think the person is referring to the VFLW when it starts up in the new year.

Yeah, I'm referring to the VFLW and yes, I am aware of the abominations that are created to make scratch matches. Some girls need to play football a tier below to get ready for the real season.

Yeah, I'm referring to the VFLW and yes, I am aware of the abominations that are created to make scratch matches. Some girls need to play football a tier below to get ready for the real season.
I don’t understand how these so called professionals aren’t also playing VFLW to develop their skills and maintain their fitness. It’s a product of where the competition and the salary is (mostly the shortness of it) but it seems most top line AFLW players don’t actually get much of an opportunity to play footy at all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back