AFL Player # 3: Darcy Parish

Remove this Banner Ad

He's good, especially if he has a bit of clear linkage around him...

I find he ball watches at random times and then ends up trying to compensate when he realises he's part of the pattern of play, which has only really been a part of his game since the Saga players returned...

This is common with young players though...

Needs to back himself as a play maker and not worry too much if he belongs and we will have a weapon...

Last edited:
Apparently contested possessions include loose ball gets (or so Ro Co said on SEN after 11:30am last night). That would explain it.

I've now researched it:

"A possession which has been won when the ball is in dispute. Includes looseball-gets, hardball-gets, contested marks, gathers from a hit-out and frees for."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-12-28/stats-glossary-every-stat-explained

I thought that Parish was brushed aside in almost every situation last night that I thought was "contested" and then I head "will be the best clearance player at the club" and "will be All Australian" and I was wondering what version of his game he has ever shown against adults that would translate to that caliber of player.
So trade or just delist?

Good honest midfielder. Works both ways really well, has found a hard edge, has built up nicely and looks strong, Inside and Outside abiltiy, smooth moving, disposal by foot is solid decision making is excellent. Hes going to be a very solid footballer for us. We knew he didnt have any single superstar factors but we also knew he didnt have any real deficiencies either.

The thing I've always liked about Parish is how he moves in traffic to get the ball. He's always been good in that area. He has great vision so when there are loose players in our forward line he's great at finding them. On the downside he still rushes too many of his disposals and just doesn't have that evasiveness or strength to avoid or brush off tackles.

I'm confident he will be a good best 22 player at worst. He may yet become a very good player if he can continue to build his endurance and work on his composure. Could end up a more inside orientated version of Zaka.

Love what he's doing, he's just fading a fraction which is turning potential 30+ touch games into low 20s games but his impact is quite clearly up.

His kicking was excellent last night too, and that's one thing that I've thought might potentially hold him back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldn’t say he did Jack s**t as someone did earlier in this thread, but he played a good game against a sub par football team, who have about 3 good afl footballers and a lot of poor players. Was good to see him do well, but let’s not get too carried away. See how he goes this week against Richmond

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn’t say he did Jack s**t as someone did earlier in this thread, but he played a good game against a sub par football team, who have about 3 good afl footballers and a lot of poor players. Was good to see him do well, but let’s not get too carried away. See how he goes this week against Richmond

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Which is perfectly okay at this stage. He looked a bit lost and bereft of confidence earlier in the year, so these are good steps.

The saints lack class and are poor at kicking the ball, but compete quite hard around the footy. Felt like it was one of those nights for Darcy where he often had half a touch on the ball but couldn’t take it cleanly due to pressure. Or grabbed it and was tackled immediately.

Next year that all may be different given he will either have been executed by Bruno V or will have become the premier inside mid in the comp.

Why limit ourselves? If we're going to have a discussion about something with no nuance or context lets just go to the end of the scope and execute Darcy?
Absolutely ridiculous Bruno.

You don’t execute someone without first threatening to execute them to see if that turns their form around.

Honest player. Won’t be a superstar I don’t think, but every list would be happy to have him.

Like his attack on the ball, and that he seems to be accountable.

Darcy Parish enjoying career-best form at Essendon after building fitness and confidence

Chris Cavanagh, Herald Sun

August 16, 2018 5:30pm

Subscriber only GTFO

AFTER Essendon’s poor start to the season, Darcy Parish was one of the sacrificial lambs.

By his own admission the midfielder’s form had not been where he would have liked, nor his fitness, and he was one of five changes made after Round 8 — at which point the Bombers had slipped to 2-6 after a loss to arch rival Carlton.

There was no pulling the wool over the eyes of the Essendon coaches, who gave Parish a “clear message”.

Gathering 32 disposals and laying five tackles in his first VFL game was a solid start, but after he pushed for an AFL return in his second game back in the twos a problem was discovered.

The tough country boy from a sheep farm at Wensleydale, southwest of Geelong, had unknowingly played through a broken thumb which required surgery, putting him on the sidelines for six weeks.

On one hand you could describe the injury as a major setback, but on reflection Parish sees it very differently, having discovered career-best form since his Round 17 AFL return.

“It was a mini pre-season,” Parish said of the six-week spell on the sidelines.

“With the hand surgeries you can still do plenty of running and fitness stuff which is great and I didn’t miss out on too much of that other stuff with the ball handling. But it was great just to run and get my fitness base up to the required level.

“I think it helped me with this good form of late, getting the running in. So it’s been a little bit of a blessing in disguise, the injury.”Essendon's Darcy Parish has been leaving opponents in his wake since returning to the AFL side in Round 17. Picture: Michael Klein

Parish has averaged 23 disposals, four clearances and 89 SuperCoach points since his return, playing an important part in Essendon’s return to form which has seen the Bombers win four of their past five matches.

They have been positive signs for the 21-year-old, who was the No.5 pick in the 2015 national draft and the Bombers expect to only get better.

“During that period of his injury he was working on those aspects of his game that we wanted to see when he came back into the side,” Essendon coach John Worsfold said.

“I think Darcy’s definitely taken steps forward and still got a lot of upside left.”

Parish has been working closely alongside midfield coach James Kelly and performance coach Hayden Skipworth this year, who have helped him develop his game and grow in confidence — something he was lacking early in the year.

“I was speaking to Kel the other day actually and this is probably the best patch of footy that I’ve played with Essendon so far,” Parish said.

“Third year in the system I’m starting to find that belief and ability and I really want to make my name in the competition now.”

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back