Traded #3: Scott Gumbleton - Traded to Fremantle for pick 55

Remove this Banner Ad

Essendon continues to be Fremantle's chief recruiting academy. And... yet again, the candidate is either broken down or too old.

Still crazy after all these years.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...t-with-fremantle/story-fnahrzm3-1226493149869

Well-placed sources said on Wednesday the 197cm forward, who is the housemate of captain Jobe Watson, was leaning towards staying at Windy Hill.
Gumbleton is understood to feel a sense of loyalty and could yet secure a regular game in attack, especially if versatile big man Michael Hurley moves into defence.

gumby pls

Can see freo asking him to walk to the psd, its obviously an acknowledged tactic

I can see Freo asking, but I find it hard to believe that Gumby would actually do it.

If Dons don't settle for pick 37, he'll be staying there.

We didn't go through all this with Gumbleton for pick 37 in what is starting to be called a shallow or "overrated" draft.

I'd be hugely disappointed if we accepted those terms.

We didn't go through all this with Gumbleton for pick 37 in what is starting to be called a shallow or "overrated" draft.

I'd be hugely disappointed if we accepted those terms.

More I think about it, more I reckon it'll come back to him staying... unless there's a suitable player swap involved. Based on what I've read here, there's no interest in Roberton and very little in Suban.

Ibbotson hasn't re-signed yet. Not sure what the plan is there.

Good. Seems to swinging back towards staying.

Though if he decides to leave, we should persuade him to go to Melbourne, we need to get in on their stupid trading.
Pick 3 pl0x

More I think about it, more I reckon it'll come back to him staying... unless there's a suitable player swap involved. Based on what I've read here, there's no interest in Roberton and very little in Suban.

Ibbotson hasn't re-signed yet. Not sure what the plan is there.

I heard earlier in the week roberton had requested a trade to the pies?

I have a suspicion that the deal we have offered Gumby isn't a reflection on his long term durability as much as it is about TRB's preferred long term structure and the use of our KPPs. By offering the one year deal we are basically saying that he is currently the most expendable KP prospect on our list that could net us the highest potential pick (to get into the high end of the draft - the view is now that the depth of this draft is not so good). In this respect I want to save TRB from itself.

It is all obviously guess work but the indication from Hird is that Hurley may be used in defence. We are then short Hurley and Gumby in any potential forward line with only Danhier as the replacement capable of being a genuine KPF. It means that we will continue to look to play Crameri in a more KP/structurally significant role despite what I view is the reality that he is an over-sized flanker. We are also then reliant on Ryder as a KPF which is a bit of a risk (remember than he basically has to play forward because he will be the second ruck and we need to be able to control the rotation which is something that you can't do with a KPD) although this is not my primary concern.

As overly positive as it may be, I seriously think the best thing for the club would be for Gumby to force his way into our best side which would ultimately allow us to use Hurley to replace Fletcher when Fletcher retires and allow us to use Crameri as a half forward (and reap the reward of the matchup that can't go with him and get the best out of him, ect). On the glimpses Gumby has showed this year I think he is genuinely capable of it and capable of it next year. It is much more valuable to our side than another (second round) pick.

Think you summed it up well - Gumby is at the bottom of the KP's ladder. Heaven help us if Hurley plays back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gumby can play for Melbourne and still live with Jobe.

Gumby will play more senior footy at Melbourne/Fremantle than at Essendon - Would seem to be a wise career move - And I imagine Gumby's Mum is lobbying Freo !

Don't understand why the Bulldogs haven't made a play for Gumby - They are crying out for a key tall to take the pressure off their young tall forwards - Let Lee/Hogan pass - I assume the Bulldogs have a plan ! What is it ?

Gumby can play for Melbourne and still live with Jobe.

Gumby will play more senior footy at Melbourne/Fremantle than at Essendon - Would seem to be a wise career move - And I imagine Gumby's Mum is lobbying Freo !

Don't understand why the Bulldogs haven't made a play for Gumby - They are crying out for a key tall to take the pressure off their young tall forwards - Let Lee/Hogan pass - I assume the Bulldogs have a plan ! What is it ?

Why do you think he would play more senior footy? If Hurley moves back and gumby goes we don't have a key forward. He will get plenty of time at essendon if he gets his body right. Has been that way for 6 years.

Gumby will play more senior footy at Melbourne/Fremantle than at Essendon

How does that work? If Hurley's going back, as he is widely tipped to be, who is the major dude up forward?

Some caller on SEN this morning claiming a Gumby for Broughton trade could be on the cards. Given the source, I'll believe it when it happens, but would be very happy with that trade.

The caller did not say it "was on the cards". It was just the callers suggestion.
The caller just like yourself, has no clue.

Exaggerly. Daniher won't be ready straight up.

Which leaves Crameri and...?

If Gumby does leave we'd most likely play Hurley up forward until Joe is ready.

Perfect world would be Joe FF, Gumby CHF and Cram 3rd tall.

Gotta keep him

Remove this Banner Ad

Back