Shane Hird

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan The Cult of Robbo Essendon Player Sponsor 2016
May 8, 2006
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
NYJ
Rd1 2006- Perth vs Peel Thunder,young recruit Scott Gumbleton kicks 4 goals from CHF and helps set up a win for his team. The value of this kid was felt straight away for the struggling WAFL side. Peel's game plan from then on quickly became focused on getting it down to Gumby at CHF or kicking long to the goal square to their beefy FF Dean Buszan.

Gumby's strength is his ability to maintain his focus and constantly present himself as a key marking target at HF. Never cracks it,never gets frustrated.Just keeps on going,even under the threat of a heavy defeat (which happened a fair bit in 06')

The responsability this kid took on for his side,at his age, was huge. Early on in the season,PT had less than 4 players out on the field who had played more than 50 WAFL games. The significance and value of Gumby as a player was felt all season. Often he would be asked to take ruck duties for the side and run for a qtr or two on the ball. When they were getting thrashed,he would be sent down back to hold down CHB alot of the times.

He has leader written all over him this young man. Quietly spoken and humble about his achievements,Gumby will continue to mature and will grow into a fine League player with a good head on his young shoulders.

Who knows....future EFC captain in 4 or 5 years?

I'm really excited about this kid, I think we will see him sooner rather than later in the side
not sure how everything's going to function with Lloyd, Lucas, Johns, Hird and if and when he gets a game Gumby (alot of talls, no crumbers).. but the one thing I do know we must have the best forward line in the comp capable of kicking a huge score

Settle down, the way the hype is going if Gumbleton doesnt turn out to be Carey he will we considered a flop. Talk about mounting pressure...

Nobby could arrange a scrubber or two for the young bloke, and may land us a father/son draft in 2024.

Settle down, the way the hype is going if Gumbleton doesnt turn out to be Carey he will we considered a flop. Talk about mounting pressure...

No pressure from us Dons supporters,not from me anyway.

My prediction....Johns will fail at HF in the first 3-4 rds,get sent back to Bendigo and Gumby will get his chance...or..he could be slotted straight in the BL in rd 1 and given a go.If that works out..to the forward line Scotty.

I rekon he will blitz in the pre-season comp and Sheeds won't have any choice but to play him. If he plays for Bendigo Bombers in rd1-2,it won't take long for his skill to stand out...then straight to the seniors:thumbsu:

I know its hard to imagine what he's like on the field for all u folks in Melbourne,it must seem like he's coming from the far side of the earth to Windy Hill,but I'm prepared to make bold claims about this bloke...even if it means abuse;). It's only because I've seen him live and know how well he handled the pressure of senior footy.

I just have a feeling he will be really good for the EFC:) trust me;)

Does anyone have any highlights of Gumby?

I've only seen a few clips.

only 3 ways I think

1. ABC sport-who cover selected WAFL matches every week in Perth,
they covered some Peel Thunder games this year.

2. Match footage from Peel Thunder FC that they take themselves for training.

3. Footage of the u18s carnival WA vs who ever they played.

Thats about all I got sorry. I wish i had taken the video camera to his matches now;)

only 3 ways I think

1. ABC sport-who cover selected WAFL matches every week in Perth,
they covered some Peel Thunder games this year.

2. Match footage from Peel Thunder FC that they take themselves for training.

3. Footage of the u18s carnival WA vs who ever they played.

Thats about all I got sorry. I wish i had taken the video camera to his matches now;)

lol, I guess I'll have to wait til season starts.

Thanks for the info.

My prediction....Johns will fail at HF in the first 3-4 rds,get sent back to Bendigo and Gumby will get his chance...or..he could be slotted straight in the BL in rd 1 and given a go.If that works out..to the forward line Scotty.

I rekon he will blitz in the pre-season comp and Sheeds won't have any choice but to play him. If he plays for Bendigo Bombers in rd1-2,it won't take long for his skill to stand out...then straight to the seniors:thumbsu:

I know its hard to imagine what he's like on the field for all u folks in Melbourne,it must seem like he's coming from the far side of the earth to Windy Hill,but I'm prepared to make bold claims about this bloke...even if it means abuse;). It's only because I've seen him live and know how well he handled the pressure of senior footy.

I hope your predictions are wrong. Having Johns kick on to be the future support to Gumbleton is equally important for us. I saw the three games WA games during the carnival so i have an ideal of what Gumbleton is like, i also have family in Perth who have given a pretty good report about him. I think he will be a great player but i dont think we need to rush him next year. I wouldnt be dissapointed if he only played 5 or 6 games next year and played a lot of footy at Bendigo. I am pretty sure that baring injury Johns will be a more than handy forward for us as well.

that may be a handy trait to have in his first couple of seasons.

hahah....we won't be on the bottom again for many years my friend;)

I just rekon that Gumby is one of those teenagers who really wants to make it at AFL level and he just handled everything that came his way in 2006.

He quickly found himself the main focal point of all Peel's forward attacking thrusts and for such a young bloke to take that responsibility..it says a lot for his character.

I hope your predictions are wrong. Having Johns kick on to be the future support to Gumbleton is equally important for us. I saw the three games WA games during the carnival so i have an ideal of what Gumbleton is like, i also have family in Perth who have given a pretty good report about him. I think he will be a great player but i dont think we need to rush him next year. I wouldnt be dissapointed if he only played 5 or 6 games next year and played a lot of footy at Bendigo. I am pretty sure that baring injury Johns will be a more than handy forward for us as well.

The coaching staff at Peel did an amazing job this year getting their young players match fit for this season. Where in previous years,they would get run over by half time because they just were not up to other WAFL team's fitness level.

I imagine Gumbleton putting on a few kilos over summer at EFC and getting super AFL fit and I'm betting he will given a go at senior level very early next season.

I really do hope C.Johns does make it. I have my doubts,but I hope he proves me wrong.

Gumby was a very good pick up,and so are the midfielders you guys picked up.will take a year or two tpo settle in though.Future will be good for bomber fans.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gumby was a very good pick up,and so are the midfielders you guys picked up.will take a year or two tpo settle in though.Future will be good for bomber fans.

Thanks for your kind words daics,sure your a Collingwood supporter?;)

Settle in,why? How come every man and his dog thinks our DPs won't play senior footy next season? Thanks to our bottom of the ladder finsh,havn't we picked players from the upper end of the skill level scale who can slot into our team and be given a chance?

Monfries is a good example.Eveyone said he was too small and won't handle League footy....and after 5 or 6 games from him,we wouldn't dream of leaving him out of the side.

Players like Gumby,Houli and Jetta might not set the world on fire in their first few games but it won't take them long I believe:thumbsu:

He has leader written all over him this young man.

Who knows....future EFC captain in 4 or 5 years?

LMAO Nobby

Seriously ... you sound more and more like a Richmond supporter every day .

Waiting for the coming messiah to lead you to the promised land

LMAO Nobby

Seriously ... you sound more and more like a Richmond supporter every day .

Waiting for the coming messiah to lead you to the promised land

He will be just another cog in the machine mate,the Bomber Machine;)

Happy we got Gumby Longy? or a tad bit disappointed we didn't pick Hanson?

Come on Master Jedi,tell us what you think;) :D

no body is moving Johns back to the vfl. He has worked very hard to come back play footy from his injure. the dons have given him 4 years or so for him to become what he was in 2006 and by placing him back in the VFL is just dumb.

if Gumby wants to play afl his gonna have to be on the interchange bench and maybe have to start from CHB. unless sheedy places lloyd, lucas, johns, gumby, hird and monfres and lovtte all up forward and the same time wowwwwwwwwww what an attack.

no body is moving Johns back to the vfl. He has worked very hard to come back play footy from his injure. the dons have given him 4 years or so for him to become what he was in 2006 and by placing him back in the VFL is just dumb.

if Gumby wants to play afl his gonna have to be on the interchange bench and maybe have to start from CHB. unless sheedy places lloyd, lucas, johns, gumby, hird and monfres and lovtte all up forward and the same time wowwwwwwwwww what an attack.
that would be awsome but to top heavy, that would be 5 players over 188cm, gumby on the int is probably the way to go with him and johns swaping around. cant wait til the nab cup to see dempsey, gumby and hislop all most likely play. will be a greta thing to say, will have to go to one of them.

no body is moving Johns back to the vfl.
He has worked very hard to come back play footy from his injure. the dons have given him 4 years or so for him to become what he was in 2006 and by placing him back in the VFL is just dumb.

If Johns can't string together 4 or 5 good (not ordinary)games in the 1st's early in the H&A season in 07', u can bet your life on it he will be sent back to BBs.

Agree with Gumby,like to see Sheeds play him in the BL when he gets selected and let him get a feel for the big league.

Don't wanna see a repeat of Hawthorn's decision to put Lance Franklin in the forward line and let him struggle when he debuted. To much pressure.

Happy we got Gumby Longy? or a tad bit disappointed we didn't pick Hanson?

Come on Master Jedi,tell us what you think;) :D

Yeah, very happy.
There was never much between the two, I guess in the end I'd probably seen more of Hansen and his courage won over for me. Not that Gumbleton lacks anything in that area.

Very had a very good draft.

yep,im pretty happy myself with us getting Gumbleton. Apart from his footy skills,I just like the kid's personality and the his character,seems like a real level headed 18 yo. Looking forward to seeing them all in a R&B jumper.

After a week though,I get more excited about Houli the most. By all reports,he's got a good future in the AFL,and we got him:thumbsu:

Gumby chooses Nick ReVolt as the player he wants to model himself on.
(in the Q&A on BomberLand)

Good choice Scott:thumbsu:

Gumby chooses Nick ReVolt as the player he wants to model himself on.
(in the Q&A on BomberLand)

Good choice Scott:thumbsu:
sounds like a good choice, would prefer a jon brown without the injuries but i will take a riewoldt for now;) .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back