Player Watch #30: Charlie Comben

Remove this Banner Ad

I think everyone is forgetting that one of the main reasons he is playing down back is because of his consistent injury history so the coaching team wanted to try something different and put him in a position where the ball is infront of him. Kind of like McCartin (for different injury reasons ofc) but for everybody including commentators screaming for him to be swung to our needs at CHF need to realise there’s a reason he’s playing down back.

Oh I don't think anyone's forgetting anything. Time stops when the big lump is lying on the ground for the umpteenth time.

He has been great and super impressive .I think what people forget is we have a fair few backs and one fwd. When Charlie last played fwd he didn't mark it but he spoilt it a million times a quarter.
Now we just allow our opponents to mark 90% of our attacks and launch a counter offensive from our back half.

It's working very well for them. Larkey is triple teamed weekly.

Hopefully K Dawson is back soon, W.Dawson gets a couple of games late in the year and Logue is back for the last few rounds.

And then our backline can be

K.Dawson Logue Corr
Sheezel Comben W.Dawson.

And have Pink and Nuyon on the bench just in case.

Up fwd we can have Larkey and his 7 flakey flankers.

Anyone calling for Comben up fwd is looking at how poor we are performing. Nothing more than that.

Oh I don't think anyone's forgetting anything. Time stops when the big lump is lying on the ground for the umpteenth time.

He has been great and super impressive .I think what people forget is we have a fair few backs and one fwd. When Charlie last played fwd he didn't mark it but he spoilt it a million times a quarter.
Now we just allow our opponents to mark 90% of our attacks and launch a counter offensive from our back half.

Hopefully K Dawson is back soon, W.Dawson gets a couple of games late in the year and Logue is back for the last few rounds.

K.Dawson Logue Corr
Sheezel Comben W.Dawson.

Anyone calling for Comben up fwd is looking at how poor we are performing. Nothing more than that.

You're playing 5 "talls" in defense? Plus another on the bench!

hahaha thats a fair whack.

W.Dawson clearly plays round 1 next year. Hopefully it is for Corr, but right now he will continue to play.

Sorry, I meant K. Dawson when he's back from injury for the "now" solution. W. Dawson long term. Maybe late next year, start of the following year. We simply cannot keep playing that panic merchant.

K.Dawson Logue Corr
Sheezel Comben W.Dawson.

So do we risk throwing him forward and him getting injured again? Why not swing Logue forward?

So do we risk throwing him forward and him getting injured again? Why not swing Logue forward?
I don't buy the it's because it will stop him getting injured line. The club may well believe that, I don't.
Logue did his knee in of all places the backline.

The bloke is awkward and will always be at risk where ever he plays. The way he lands on the ground without protecting himself or naturally rolling to avoid injury amazes me. He's got the Sept 11's about him. As in he can fly but he can't land.

Yes that is a tad inappropriate. But it's not like America are an innocent bystander. Anyways Charlie is now known by me as Sept 11.

And yes Logue could go fwd, someone needs to .

I don't buy the it's because it will stop him getting injured line. The club may well believe that, I don't.
Logue did his knee in of all places the backline.

The bloke is awkward and will always be at risk where ever he plays. The way he lands on the ground without protecting himself or naturally rolling to avoid injury amazes me. He's got the Sept 11's about him. As in he can fly but he can't land.

Yes that is a tad inappropriate. But it's not like America are an innocent bystander. Anyways Charlie is now known by me as Sept 11.

And yes Logue could go fwd, someone needs to .
Wasn't one of the reasons Logue left Freo was because they kept playing him forward which didn't suit his style of play..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wasn't one of the reasons Logue left Freo was because they kept playing him forward which didn't suit his style of play..

He was squeezed out of the emerging talented backline and appeared unlikely to regain his preferred position. We’re a long way from that.

He was squeezed out of the emerging talented backline and appeared unlikely to regain his preferred position. We’re a long way from that.
So if he's preferred position is the backline why put him on the forward line? This just doesn't makes sense which means North might just do it..We have the chance to establish a spine starting with Logue and Comben down back with Lakey at Full Forward lets leave him there.

Chom can be elite as a defender. But B grade at best as a forward, due to his poor goalkicking.
Wouldn't mind having a look at Pink up forward for a full game, before we move Chom.
My smokey for the 22 against Essendon is pink at CHF. They made him sub for a reason, and he looked alright; he’d have played the next week if it wasn’t in Darwin and they needed to stack the midfield

Joey Montagna said on 360 Chom and Mac Andrew are the only young players in the top 20 rated key defenders.
Most are over 26 years old. So Charlie must be doing something right in his limited time down back.
I love how GC not only have their own academy picks to gorge on but their best defender came from someone else's academy.

My smokey for the 22 against Essendon is pink at CHF. They made him sub for a reason, and he looked alright; he’d have played the next week if it wasn’t in Darwin and they needed to stack the midfield

Praying you're right, Merlin! Bombers' large forward line has me assuming Pink's down back, but from the limited sample size we observed during the Saints game he really did look like he was finally plugging a massive hole in our structure up forward.

We will need some decent delivery if we are to even dream of Larkey, Curtis and Zurhaar etc. eluding their men and hitting the scoreboard. A lot has done my head in regarding the team this year, but this has to be my number one pain point.

Chom can be elite as a defender. But B grade at best as a forward, due to his poor goalkicking.
Wouldn't mind having a look at Pink up forward for a full game, before we move Chom.
I think it's more than just his goalkicking, he couldn't clunk them up forward either (given it was only a small sample size).
Just looks more natural as a defender to me. Darcy Moore was a failed forward too, it happens.

Just stop the nonsense, move him to CHF, I've had enough of this rot.
Enough is enough, play Pink as the CHB or no one.
This is our best option to see us best prepared to be competitive. Or dare i suggest, win a game.
We have tried CCJ, Pink, Greenwood and no one at CHF. All failed and in this order. CCJ, Greenwood, No One and Pink.

Seriously, this is ****ing with my head. It is like we don't want to win.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back