AFL Player #31: Zach Reid - Hamstring - 4 to 6 weeks - 19/3

Remove this Banner Ad

Doesn't that bode even better for Reid? He's a slightly built 205cm tall, was always going to need time to grow into his body as opposed to Caldwell who came in pretty well ready to hit the ground running. Give Reid time to put on the kgs slowly and get himself AFL ready.

My point is his career to date and injury history is comparable to a 183cm mid who has now gotten his body right and for the past two seasons has hardly missed a game. For a 205cm stick figure who was always going to take significant time it's a long way from alarm bells yet. If he's looking like he can't get on the park after another season or two I'll join you all and start hammering that panic button.
The issue is they are trying to bulk him up along with keeping the fitness levels up on top of him having a body that needs time . It is not better for him as he is in a system that is under pressure for results so things get pushed . He has already been pushed along and the fact is the bigger percentage of the 200cm guys that do make it start at 90kg and not 82 kg . There are some exceptions of course.
I know what you are saying about time but the issue is he has already been pushed further than his body has been able to cope with.

I have not hammered the panic button. My view is give him the time but I do not see him as the FB as I suspect he is not going to be a big strong player and is likely to be more a Peter Wright type who is tall but not physically strong.

Money Market GIF by National Geographic Channel

Trade

The issue is they are trying to bulk him up along with keeping the fitness levels up on top of him having a body that needs time . It is not better for him as he is in a system that is under pressure for results so things get pushed . He has already been pushed along and the fact is the bigger percentage of the 200cm guys that do make it start at 90kg and not 82 kg . There are some exceptions of course.
I know what you are saying about time but the issue is he has already been pushed further than his body has been able to cope with.

I have not hammered the panic button. My view is give him the time but I do not see him as the FB as I suspect he is not going to be a big strong player and is likely to be more a Peter Wright type who is tall but not physically strong.
Yep hard to argue with that. He is ruckman size, we really should be viewing his development timeline in the same way we look at Nick Bryan. Unfortunately he's a top 10 pick so we are all impatient and want him in the team ASAP.

Personally my preference would be to develop him a fwd, as the potential upside of having a 205cm athletic key fwd who by all accounts is a great kick makes my mouth water. And if it doesn't work out he can always transition to a Harris Andrews type defender.

I mean, we spent a top 25 Pick on Lewis Hayes and Kaine Baldwin is braining it as a 21yo KPD.

If Reid doesn't pan out it isn't like we don't have a contingency.

But if the plan is to not play anyone tall until they're at least 24, that puts Hayes & Baldwin at least 6 & 3 years away respectively.

But if the plan is to not play anyone tall until they're at least 24, that puts Hayes & Baldwin at least 6 & 3 years away respectively.
It doesn’t have to work quite like that. Baldwin was probably born a man, and is ready to go as soon as he is up to the standard required - Hayes, Reid, Cox, Bryan are all pencils with potential. If you let their bodies develop within safe parameters they have a chance to reach their potential. Some will take till 24 others sooner, particularly if they are going for roles that don’t require them to compete with the monsters. Reid is a guy earmarked to take on big key forwards and they have clearly rushed (and botched) his development. As such he is probably going to be a slower burn.

But then again so what, put him in the bottom draw, forget about him and think of him as a development player. Yeah we overpaid for a development player, but that is now a sunk cost, as long as he has more promise than the 44th player on the list nothing needs to be done.

I don't think that was ant's point; moreso that you shouldn't expect much from the really tall guys (Baldwin isn't that) until their mid 20s. We've seen BZT come good over the last 12 months and he's almost 25 now. Reid is close to another 3" taller than BZT.

If they can contribute earlier, that's a bonus.

I don't think that was ant's point; moreso that you shouldn't expect much from the really tall guys (Baldwin isn't that) until their mid 20s. We've seen BZT come good over the last 12 months and he's almost 25 now. Reid is close to another 3" taller than BZT.

If they can contribute earlier, that's a bonus.

That sort of leaves a gap for the short term though, right?

Responding to the comment re a contingency plan, we don't really have one... (at least internally)

Who said they don't play until then?

They don't hit their prime until then, but they can play and be building in a building team.

No one, but the evidence points to it...

Do you think they will?

I think the only young KPP we've played this year is Baldwin for a fortnight. And that's with injuries to both Lav & BZT.

That sort of leaves a gap for the short term though, right?

Responding to the comment re a contingency plan, we don't really have one... (at least internally)

Yes and no, BZT / Laverde / Baldwin are all options in the short-term. If Reid hadn't had these injury issues you'd probably roll with that group as a stop-gap until he's 24ish when you'd expect him to be a Harris Andrews style KPD.

Reid's injuries have meant that there's a weird gap right now where Hayes is too young to be useful in the next couple of years, so a lot is hinging on Baldwin making it (he's a similar kind of size of Steven May).

McKay is the obvious guy out there that might not cost anything but salary cap that would fill a 200cm KPD sized need right now, and have the potential to still be filling that role in 5 years time.

Himmelberg isn't really a KPD IMO , he's best in the same role Ridley is best in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Now listed as 3-4 weeks
The backup plan is to draft his Brother Archer this year.

He's an intriguing prospect.

From the little I've seen he seems a very similar player to H McKay.

At 203cm and 93kgs he's 10 kgs closer to the goal weight than his brother was at the same age. He looks a more powerful athlete to me.

He's a style of player I'd be prepared to be wrong about early in a draft.

Last edited:
This guy....he's almost the forgotten man at the club.
  1. Consistently injured
  2. Highly touted junior
  3. Development irreparably damaged/stalled
  4. Likely to find himself further behind the pecking order with a potential McKay incoming
  5. 2 years left on his contract
With a solid pre-season do we even dare to think he could be the defensive answer we're after?

1. Consistently injured
  2. Highly touted junior
  4. Likely to find himself further behind the pecking order with a potential McKay incoming
With a solid pre-season do we even dare to think he could be the defensive answer we're after?
Well I can't speak for we but I certainly don't. A solid pre-season would definitely be a great start though.

1. Consistently injured
  2. Highly touted junior
Not unless he has put on 15kg

1. Consistently injured
  2. Highly touted junior
2 years left must be Adrian's doing. A safely contracted rehab group and skinny flankers.

Desperately needs a full preseason where he can squat, deadlift and run! If he’s still sore/recovering he’s not going to make many inroads next year…
Agree, I want to see if he has any defensive mongrel in him. Some urgency. But before even that, he’s got to believe his legs won’t fall off.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back