AFL Player #31: Zach Reid - Hamstring - 4 to 6 weeks - 19/3

Remove this Banner Ad

Love that Reid, Hayes and Cox won’t have to battle OSullivan for development opportunity in VFL/AFL. Hard enough to have all three in the one backline as it is, not to mention Baldwin. Should be a pretty formidable VFL backline.

Love that Reid, Hayes and Cox won’t have to battle OSullivan for development opportunity in VFL/AFL. Hard enough to have all three in the one backline as it is, not to mention Baldwin. Should be a pretty formidable VFL backline.
That is what people said last year . Did not exactly go that way .

people said they were glad hayes reid cox and balwdin didn't have to battle o'sullivan for vfl time?
No they said our backline would dominate the VFL

Well yeah, Reid and Cox were injured most of the year so that would be why…
So you are confident it will not happen again ? Not sure I am 😎

Last edited:
So you are confident it will not happen again ? Not sure I am 😎

I hope it turns around for the guys and they both make it. But Reid's constant injuries has to be a concern, and Cox seems to be a conundrum where they don't know what to do with him. Maybe Cox should spend as much time as he needs in the 2's just settling into one position, and doing it well before they try him again in the seniors.

hope this kid actually gets an uninterrupted non injury run in 2024.

quickly turning into Gumbleton 2.0 with his injury run since drafted.

Back: Ridley, Laverde, McKay, Reid, Cox, Hayes, Baldwin, Weideman

Forward: Wright, Jones, Caddy, Weideman, Reid, Baldwin, Hunter

I'm willing to be patient with Reid and to a less extent Cox.

One or two out of that list should be gone by year's end. Weideman's in the box seat for me.

Back: Ridley, Laverde, McKay, Reid, Cox, Hayes, Baldwin, Weideman

Forward: Wright, Jones, Caddy, Weideman, Reid, Baldwin, Hunter

I'm willing to be patient with Reid and to a less extent Cox.

One or two out of that list should be gone by year's end. Weideman's in the box seat for me.

Stringer forward as well. Might be more than a couple gone at the end of next year given they handed out 1 year contracts. Also Stringer in his last year of contract I believe.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pre-season injury update: enjoying a full run at pre-season after overcoming back & hamstring injuries
Essendon fans will be excited to see young key defender Zach Reid bolstering the Bombers’ defensive training stocks, with the former pick No.10 enjoying a full run at pre-season after overcoming back and a hamstring injury last season.

093A1247.png

Doesn't look like they've let him in the weights room yet, which is probably for the best, but he does appear to be fully fit, finally.

What to do with this guy? It’s hard to envisage him as 205cm key defender….

Forward? Ruck? He has shown glimpses of some poise and skill you don’t usually see in blokes this size….but how to best use it? I’m really not clear on the answer.

Forward? Ruck? He has shown glimpses of some poise and skill you don’t usually see in blokes this size….but how to best use it? I’m really not clear on the answer.
He was wrestling with Bryan in one of the training galleries

Yeah, I'd say he'll be adding a lot of muscle that is easy to miss. Extra strength is harder to see when you spread it around 205cm compared to someone like like Travis Pipes Colyer.... man he looked ripped for a few years there.

Yeah, I'd say he'll be adding a lot of muscle that is easy to miss. Extra strength is harder to see when you spread it around 205cm compared to someone like like Travis Pipes Colyer.... man he looked ripped for a few years there.
Would be mostly building core strength you'd think, plus rehabbing the legs after the hamstring issue to try and keep him on his feet.

Nothing wrong with a 205cm key defender. That’s where they’ll first try him, it doesn’t work I imagine he becomes a forward ruck

Remove this Banner Ad

Back