AFL Player #31: Zach Reid - Hamstring - 4 to 6 weeks - 19/3

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t see why they would be any different to any other frame, just at a different stage of development that requires a different conditioning program, although from what I was reading about back stress fractures the other day, some people do have thinner vertebrae that are more susceptible to stress fractures.

But it’s mostly caused by putting too much load through the lower back, so like bench press or leg press with your back not straight and core not strong enough? And with that, the angle of the pelvis tilted from the back position and then associated hamstring issues…
Not sure about leg press, but I'm fairly sure you arch your back a little for a proper bench press. Lift comes through your chest, shoulders and arms. Not a lot of lower back there at all.

Who is 2 to 3 years away at least . Are we spending the next 5 years waiting for one of the skinny bean poles to make it as a FB ?
BZT is now 5 years in and he is not really the genuine FB that plays on the stronger FF types. We do actually need a bit of a gorilla type FB. Baldwin is the only one of that type if he makes it.
I reckon we need two on the list. Baldwin to stay and maybe McKay is looking a more likely option.

I am starting to think its unlikely he will make it - he simply cant get on the park....
Just 8 games since the 2020 draft is not a good return for a top 20 draft pick. If you look back at that 2020 draft Reid has played the least amount of games of the top 20 draftees..
Our own Perkins (52 games) and Cox (27 games) have proven much more durable...then there's players like Holmes, Bowey, Gulden & McCreery who were taken much lower in the draft than Reid and have played far more games and had a much bigger impact at AFL level. I'm not saying the Reid pick is a bust - yet - but its certainly heading that way if he cant get his body right and get on the field consistently soon...
We really need to start thinkning about another key defender option and may have to trade for one soon...

i think baldwin needs more game time, he's looked good this year when he's played, and i think he'd slot in fine (if there's an injury) which we've already seen so far this year. hopefully this hamstring discomfort isn't serious and he can get some more game time.

So situation still hasn’t really changed. Lots of jumping at shadows at this point. They are understandably cautious.

You’d have to make it very clear that this is for his own good because he won’t like itbut I’d almost shut him down for the whole year and just work on his body. Lots of core, bit of pilates.

Any gains he gets out of playing this year will probably get cancelled out by the fact that he’ll be 10 kilos heavier in 18 months and a radically different athlete.
I think that would be the sensible strategy. There's next to no chance he can contribute anything meaningful to the team's performance in 2023, and the likelihood of him gaining some development in the 3 or 4 games he might(at best) play is surely outweighed by the risks of yet further long term hamstring problems if he persists .

I think that would be the sensible strategy. There's next to no chance he can contribute anything meaningful to the team's performance in 2023, and the likelihood of him gaining some development in the 3 or 4 games he might(at best) play is surely outweighed by the risks of yet further long term hamstring problems if he persists .

Just give him a 12 week block of Nordics then preseason IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Going in for hamstring surgery.

Did we have to wait for the current injury to heal before surgery or did we wait a month just because?

There it is knew something was coming with no details for a while. Anyone who says no to Ben McKay is kidding themselves

Bom Dia Hello GIF

No point of trading right now. Literally nothing to be gained
True. Right now they just have to work at getting him back for next year and see where it goes. I have some reservations but there is not point cutting our losses now. We need a forward maybe we send him to the other end to try his luck as I do not see him as the answer to our full back problem.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back