AFL Player #31: Zach Reid - Hamstring - 4 to 6 weeks - 19/3

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon he projects as a rich man's Lachie Keefe, who was also 202cm and an underrated one oon one defender.

He is the rich mans version because he offers far more in rebounding ability with his kicking skills.

Yeah, I was thinking rich man's Jordan Roughead.

I'm very happy with Reid, just surprised after taking Cox we took him as most are. Boy I hope Cox turns into a roaming wingman/mid.

I would be careful about the Harris Andrews comparison. It's Andrew athleticism that brought him into a game. It's not clear to me Reid quite has Andrews' athletic gifts but I doubt it ends up being that important and Reid is not a lumberer by any stretch (in the way Carlisle and Hooker are).

A defence needs at least one monster to control the air at half back and to play on the Danihers, McKays and Kings of the world.
If his 20m time is 3.17 sec I thought that is quite ordinary and would struggle on the lead against say the Kings. Maybe he has good closing speed though. The impatient part of me wanted a gun mid at that pick but it does seem long term thinking involved and some guys will likely be leaving at the end of next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If his 20m time is 3.17 sec I thought that is quite ordinary and would struggle on the lead against say the Kings. Maybe he has good closing speed though. The impatient part of me wanted a gun mid at that pick but it does seem long term thinking involved and some guys will likely be leaving at the end of next year.

Also depends on ability to repeat sprint, a one off 20m time is good for knowing their maximum speed, but won't necessarily show how well they can defend repeat leads, or read the ball in flight to know when to react and move.

We've already seen that putting pressure on upfield is very important for stopping a forward getting a clean lead straight at the kicker as well. Most defenders aren't going to catch a forward who has a clear run at the ball, you've not only got to react to the movement of the forward, but you've also got to get close enough / around them to impact the ball.

He will need to watch plenty of Fletcher tapes or door stop the great man for advice as like Cox I am not seeing a hulking giant in his frame. As I mentioned in the Cox thread he will need to use his height and reach to advantage rather than get engaged in a wrestle.

Had the least hype of the 3 early picks but stoked to get him in. There wasn’t really a mid around that range with a POD from our current crop so getting a hopefully 10 year CHB is nice. Club captain growing up in the same town a nice touch. Now just to screw up his development.

Had the least hype of the 3 early picks but stoked to get him in. There wasn’t really a mid around that range with a POD from our current crop so getting a hopefully 10 year CHB is nice. Club captain growing up in the same town a nice touch. Now just to screw up his development.

Hopefully he's someone we can't stuff up like Ridley.

true, it’s taken Ridley 3 pre seasons to become a player. Jones might be the same as will Reid. let’s hope the 2nd tier comp is up and running.
I actually don't mind the methodology of drafting the spine first for a rebuild. While they take their two or three years to develop, we finish wherever we do and st subsequent drafts we fill the other remaining gaps. By the time the talls are ready, hopefully, we're competitive again.

I actually don't mind the methodology of drafting the spine first for a rebuild. While they take their two or three years to develop, we finish wherever we do and st subsequent drafts we fill the other remaining gaps. By the time the talls are ready, hopefully, we're competitive again.

I don’t mind it either, the club and supporters will need more patience though. I just hope 2nd tier is up and running so we can properly develop these kids.

There has been some talk about whether Reid can grow to play on the monsters.

He seems to be to have a very similar body shape to Tim English, Harris Andrews or even a less developed Weitering at the same age.

I'm not sure Cox will be able to stack on the weight but I reckon Reid will end up playing at around 100 kgs. Doesn't make him the thickest guy going around at 202cm but it's enough.

There has been some talk about whether Reid can grow to play on the monsters.

He seems to be to have a very similar body shape to Tim English, Harris Andrews or even a less developed Weitering at the same age.

I'm not sure Cox will be able to stack on the weight but I reckon Reid will end up playing at around 100 kgs. Doesn't make him the thickest guy going around at 202cm but it's enough.
In reality you dont want him getting massive for the sake of it. Functional strength through his core and through his shoulders is key to ensure he isnt thrown around 1v1. Look at Darcy Moore. He is a similar height and only 100kgs and seems to go just fine.

If you put too much weight on Reid then you run the risk of limiting his major asset which is his fuidity of movement. Looking at his body type, he could probably max out at 98kg-100kg and his length would allow him to defend almost anyone.

In reality you dont want him getting massive for the sake of it. Functional strength through his core and through his shoulders is key to ensure he isnt thrown around 1v1. Look at Darcy Moore. He is a similar height and only 100kgs and seems to go just fine.

If you put too much weight on Reid then you run the risk of limiting his major asset which is his fuidity of movement. Looking at his body type, he could probably max out at 98kg-100kg and his length would allow him to defend almost anyone.

Well said. Fletcher was never big nor was SOS the full back of the century who believed in strong legs to allow him wrestle with the big guns.

Max king is a similar sized player to Reid in terms of height and has just placed 3kgs of lean muscle to take him to 98kgs I believe. I personally don’t believe they need to get to 100+ when a key to today’s game is 2 way running.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back