Past James Bell - delisted 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

qJOoyoJJ.jpg

James Bell

Player Profile

QBE Sydney Swans Academy product James Bell was rewarded for shining NEAFL form when he was called up for his AFL debut against Port Adelaide at Adelaide Oval in Round 21, 2019. The young Swan is one of Sydney’s quickest players, attacks the footy hard and can play on the inside of the midfield, on a wing or at half-forward. In a tribute to his family, Bell celebrated his first AFL goal with a striking Indigenous dance at the MCG in Round 22 last year.

James Bell

DOB:10 February 1999
DRAFT:2017
RECRUITED FROM: University of NSW-Eastern Suburbs (NSW)

Last edited:
Losing games is not one player's fault over a 4 quarter game.
Yeah we all need to be careful what we post (myself included) because these guys yesterday all were part of the team that helped get us back in the game. All of them.
They all would be crushed after yesterday so tough t***ies for us as supporters but at least the whole team that ran out yesterday showed ticker to dig deep & do everything but win it in the end.
Bell's gut running in particular was part of all that.
Like we have all said. We were not expecting finals but another improvement. I trust Bell & co to step up again & improve to get us into a strong position in the coming years.
NEVER write players off. I never used to but I too have been poisoned by the success only disease of late.
After all cooled down after the game I look more positively at the game & our players.
We need them all.
I really don't think he has it , i just wish Stephens got the run of games JB got

I bagged McVEIGH early and late , early i thought he got gifted games and later i thought he was selfish . Champion of the club in the end .
I actually do not get caught up in which player did what. I think of the Swans as a team. The team won or lost. That is the way I think about it. Some players I like more. But at the end of the day its the Swans I care about. Whoever is in the team is what the coaches and selectors have decided. I think of the team always first, players second. If players leave then so be it. Sounds cold but there is never a lot of movement. The Swans especially draft and trade players from a young age and you can get an affinity and watch them grow and be a success. There are many successes and I like them as a team.

I think Bell had already deleted his instagram before we lost the game but he probably still deleted it after a torrent of abuse at some point in the season.

I certainly would if I were in his position.

He's got all the motivation in the world to prove his doubters wrong, now make the off season count.

I think Bell had already deleted his instagram before we lost the game but he probably still deleted it after a torrent of abuse at some point in the season.

I certainly would if I were in his position.

He's got all the motivation in the world to prove his doubters wrong, now make the off season count.
Not good enough , would be a reasonable VFL player

Might I just say that the treatment young James has copped since his selection last Thursday is very unbloodslike.
We stand here all holier-than-thou and when crunch time comes we s**t on one of our own… just like those lowly <insert most hated club here> supporters.

To father Jim and all the family, I am sorry you have been put thru this.

#istandwithjamesbell

I really do feel for the guy. Trolls directly targeting his social media is not on.

A place like bigfooty isn't recommended for players, particularly after a poor game.

People around here are generally respectful of players, but at the end of the day, people congregate here because they're passionate about the club. And as professional athletes, players are subjected to a high level of scrutiny. It's part of the deal of doing what you love as an occupation.

I think it’s fair and reasonable to criticise players . It’s part of the caper. There is a line between criticising a player for what happens on the footy and field and bagging them as a person.
Yeah, I mean I questioned his inclusion in the team, I felt like we'd have been better off just playing Fox, bringing in Stephens, or Lewis Taylor had a good year at VFL level, plus shuffling of roles. I admit I missed a chunk of the game, and won't judge him solely on his last qtr miss (it was not why we lost), but I gather he didn't have a great game (again).

That said - abuse, character assessments, trolling on social media, singling out a young player (or any player really) when it's a team game and a result is made up of many many moments - is simply not on, people who do it aren't really supporters of the club, or if not (so-called) Swans fans, it says more about them than it does of James Bell. Hope he's alright, and even if he doesn't make it in the AFL / for us, hope he has a great life doing something he loves.

Given buddy, papley and Hayward had 4 disposals between them in the last quarter I think a better question is why the young players were left with the challenge of winning

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
People have been harsh on Melican , but Hayward is the one who needs to do more and his misses can cost us.

People have been harsh on Melican , but Hayward is the one who needs to do more and his misses can cost us.
His effort has been fantastic, has been clutch at times, just Hayward can be a bit wayward (in general and in front).

Given buddy, papley and Hayward had 4 disposals between them in the last quarter I think a better question is why the young players were left with the challenge of winning

Not sure I look at it the same way, the thing we can look to is we had a whole batch of younger players who we able to take the game on under that pressure. Regardless of the misses etc, others were being pretty closely manned up perhaps?, our younger brigade was not afraid to put themselves in those positions. This year was not so much about 2021 (even though it ended up we had every opportunity to steal a flag I reckon) but about 22,23,24. The experience these players now take into those years puts them on the road to being real pressure players of our future. There is a fair bit of cause to be really impressed with that and be confident with them going forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was a team failure. No individual is to blame. Sometimes s**t happens. It did. No use crying over spilt milk. We have to move on to next year. Premierships are valuable because they are hard to win. Its 17v1 odds. We blooded 10 finalists. We have a list that is building. A few gaps yes. I am liking the future

It was a team failure. No individual is to blame. Sometimes sh*t happens. It did. No use crying over spilt milk. We have to move on to next year. Premierships are valuable because they are hard to win. Its 17v1 odds. We blooded 10 finalists. We have a list that is building. A few gaps yes. I am liking the future
I think we all are . For gods Sake 6 mods now , instead of bumping RW'S offline thread get this on GD, sorry

Yes spot on Ralphy.
The positive side of this is that it is the young guys that will carry us on to the next successful era.

If the intimation here is that we should all hang our collective heads in shame for criticising a player’s performance - I disagree.

This a forum for passionate supporters to express a view. As long as it doesn’t veer into abuse or racism, I see no reason why an opinion shouldn’t be expressed.

I (among many others) held that Bell hadn’t done enough to justify selection. A view I feel was probably vindicated as a result of his poor game.

But ultimately, it’s only a game, he’s doubtless an admirable person & cretins hurling vile abuse on social media are inexcusable.

Bell did everything to get himself into the right spots. I never get upset at the players whose skills let them down - I get upset at the players who don't even get themselves into position. He tried his heart out and that's all you can ask for
Were you there , as it's hard to tell that off the tv , yes he did for that 1st goal

Bell did everything to get himself into the right spots. I never get upset at the players whose skills let them down - I get upset at the players who don't even get themselves into position. He tried his heart out and that's all you can ask for
I suspect getting into the right spots means getting more than 1 possession in an entire half of football.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back