Past #32: Mason Wood - 65 NM games/76 NM goals - delisted end '20 - SSP selection for STK '21 - GL Mase

Remove this Banner Ad

Theres no point in playing him in the VFL. We arent winning the flag this year and Wood has played 20 games. He needs to be played every single week this year and needs to develop ways to get into the game when it isnt naturally happening for him.

This guy is extremely talented and there are 17 other clubs who would take him in a heart beat. He had a rubbish game but must be played IMO
Exactly I'd play him all year also had a shocker yesterday but has to much of an upside imo and is 5/6 games back from an injury and coming of a 20d 10 mark 2 goal game last week.

Exactly I'd play him all year also had a shocker yesterday but has to much of an upside imo and is 5/6 games back from an injury and coming of a 20d 10 mark 2 goal game last week.
Whilst iam not for dropping him in the next few weeks if there isnt some genuine application in the next month or so i would definately be sending him back to the ressies. Dont want to be making him into aaron black mk11
and playing him a whole season whilst stinking it up.

Whilst iam not for dropping him in the next few weeks if there isnt some genuine application in the next month or so i would definately be sending him back to the ressies. Dont want to be making him into aaron black mk11
and playing him a whole season whilst stinking it up.
Fair enough I'll agree to disagree. Getting games into him is what we need and I'm sure he will be told to lift on yesterday's performance and have faith he will be better with Waite back in the team.

Ball was sat on his head all game. He's going to have plenty more like yesterday if we deliver the ball in like that again.

He didn't help the cause but as others have said he's the last man we should be dropping. Has genuine star quality and could develop into a colossus for us. He'll sit down with brad and tudor and review the footage. Learn from his errors and back to the drawing board.

And showed less effort than all of his teammates yesterday.
This was exactly my issue with Mason. In order to win a contest, you have to first be present at the contest. He simply did not display the intent required of an AFL footballer to will himself when he's having an off day.

This was exactly my issue with Mason. In order to win a contest, you have to first be present at the contest. He simply did not display the intent required of an AFL footballer to will himself when he's having an off day.
Yep, and worse I saw him bail out of a contest to seemingly avoid contact. Reminded me of that game in Freo he played a couple of years ago.

Was skirting packs and not even putting an arm out to tackle in the first, was a sign he was going to be "off"

One instance he pulled out of attacking the ball because he heard footsteps, was a shirk we would have given Heppell weeks of abuse over.

Hes played 15 games
And most of those were good to excellent. Poor bloke plays one bad one when the Swans stack the backline and our mids bomb it in willy-nilly and he's for the scrap heap.

Can't wait until he's dominating sides in the midfield.

And most of those were good to excellent. Poor bloke plays one bad one when the Swans stack the backline and our mids bomb it in willy-nilly and he's for the scrap heap.

Poor bloke?? All we ask for is effort...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am guilty of bumping this thread to take the absurd heat off a few others.

The witch burning in this joint is off the charts. The extremity of vitriol is patently absurd.

The kid had a bad one but he'll be a good player.

A sad thing that I cannot ignore any longer is that some of our supporters have more passion for hate than for praise. Once they have potted someone, they can't come back. If the punching bag in question has a few good games, the offenders sit back quietly then pounce on their favorite target the minute they make a disposal error. It's ****ing ridiculous.

I'll keep my love for this bloke in here, you can keep yours for that fraud JMac..

I wouldn't go as far as calling JMac a fraud, but if you're going to bash Wood for some soft efforts, then you also need to acknowledge JMac has been as bad, if not worse, in this area. With ~100 extra games under his belt.

And how can you not love Wood?

He's been a bit soft in the contest since he came back, if "m being honest.

Maybe he's a bit afraid of getting another injury. I hope not, nothing you can do about that young man, its either go all in hard for a great career or just fade away into a what if. You can't control getting hurt too much.

He's been a bit soft in the contest since he came back, if "m being honest.

Maybe he's a bit afraid of getting another injury. I hope not, nothing you can do about that young man, its either go all in hard for a great career or just fade away into a what if. You can't control getting hurt too much.
Like his performances, his physicality has been up and down. I remember a game a few seasons ago when he had the chance to crash a pack and instead opted to ghost behind it. The result was like a training drill when you go through the motion without causing injury (i couldn't believe my eyes when it happened having seen the exact same thing out on the track 100s of times but never in a game). It was very weak and he did the same the following week. I think he was called out on it and was told to improve his defensive efforts. He came back and was a different animal. This year as been up and down in that regard. I can't blame the kid because he was ko'ed and injured his knee in 2 solid contests last year.

Will be a fantastic player but he can't pick and choose when he wants to put in effort. Not at this level.

He's been awful two of the last three weeks. If it's a matter of mental application/discipline then I'd send him to the magoos.
He had a s**t week, let's judge him on a big block of footy.

Swallow had 5 s**t weeks before getting a rest in the twos.

The last thing Mason needs is to be sent back to Werribee. He needs to play as many games as he can at AFL level.

People need to chill out on the kids having up and down seasons. Worry about the experienced players like Atley and McMillan doing the yo-yo impersonations.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back