Traded #32: Travis Colyer - traded to Freo for future 4th rounder

Remove this Banner Ad

He's got two years left on his contract and he just purchased a house in Ascot Vale recently, would he really want to leave? Be great to get a second round pick for him.

He's well within his rights to stay. But I wouldn't think he'd be getting much AFL footy unless we have injuries or he improves his football.

Agreed. Let's remember though he hasn't played good footy this year. The year prior to his ban he was showing really exciting ability. The future looked bright.
Oh well.
Tim Watson made a comment on SEN this morning on how hard some of the returning players actually found the rigors of AFL last year. Maybe Trav was one of them and will find form again after another preseason and would be more valuable than getting rid of him when his value is low.

Tim Watson made a comment on SEN this morning on how hard some of the returning players actually found the rigors of AFL last year. Maybe Trav was one of them and will find form again after another preseason and would be more valuable than getting rid of him when his value is low.
There was an article along similar lines on the club website a couple of weeks ago as well, some of them were rested and others (such as Heppell) would do light training during the week so they could still play every game.

I'd be happy if he found that form no doubt whilst with us.

Does it effect your ability to pick up the ball, or kick straight though? Those were my concerns.

I really, really, like your DP. Is there some way you could fashion a feminist hat on that and send it my way?

HirdsTheWord is the one who made it mate, I take none of the credit. He's clearly skilled in the art of gif, not I.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does it effect your ability to pick up the ball, or kick straight though? Those were my concerns.

Not sure if srs, but I think you are so.

Of course it does, if his body is fatiguing quicker than it normally would because he is not used to the load of AFL football so much is effected and guess what is the first thing that goes when a player is fatigued, disposal.

Players like Colyer will continue to run and exert themselves, but when it comes to actually winning/disposing of the football they have exerted all their energy getting the ball. Then when it comes to disposing the footy they don't have the energy to focus on the disposal. Then take into account Colyer was never a great disposal when he was fully fit, you can begin to see why.

Tend to agree.

He's only 26 - not like it's too late to turn it around. Especially if you're only getting around pick 50 odd in return.

Unless moving him is a necessity to get a pick/s to get the Saad/Stringer deals done, I think I'd rather him stay on the list.

Tend to agree.

He's only 26 - not like it's too late to turn it around. Especially if you're only getting around pick 50 odd in return.

Unless moving him is a necessity to get a pick/s to get the Saad/Stringer deals done, I think I'd rather him stay on the list.
And assuming the sss trades happen and we are well placed to make a run towards top 4, its also important to have depth...it is a long season and injuries play a part. Better to have players in their prime than old guys that are past it or young ones that are a bit of a lottery in what they deliver week to week, coming in when needed.

Tend to agree.

I'd give away pick 50, simply to know he's not going to get another game for us.
He was horrific this year, and was gifted games.

I'm not a massive Colyer fan but he did go pretty well early in the season and its quite possible that his earlier form might be close to his normal level when he hasn't had 12 months off.

He might yet get pushed out of the best 22 by the 3 incoming players but he'll still be in the mix for selection most weeks and still brings important pace. If he doesn't want to leave - we should definitely keep him. If he's a depth player for us then we're probably doing pretty well because he'd get a game for plenty of clubs just because of his pace and running.

Hope we trade him. Not a bad player when he’s on but we need something to get back into the draft and he will just be depth if we land all 3 Ss. Would happy to take a pick somewhere in the 30 - 50 range for him.

That's not fair - he clearly doesn't have holes in his hands as I've seen numerous times where he paddled the ball along the ground with his hands about 40-50 metres as he tried to pick the ball up.

Ahh but that’s because he patches up the holes with mini trampolines

Remove this Banner Ad

Back