Traded #32: Travis Colyer - traded to Freo for future 4th rounder

Remove this Banner Ad

I like how they used him as a half forward a bit more yesterday. I think thats his role with permission to run up the wing as he pleases i just think he can be one of many for us who can kick 20+ goals if used a little closer to goal. Was a very good small forward in school football, not just a midfielder.

His kicking looks to have really improved. Slight technique change i saw.

Lock in our best 22

I like how they used him as a half forward a bit more yesterday. I think thats his role with permission to run up the wing as he pleases i just think he can be one of many for us who can kick 20+ goals if used a little closer to goal. Was a very good small forward in school football, not just a midfielder.

Lock in our best 22
Was always a best 22 lock. I couldn't believe there were some who ever doubted it.
We will need him play on the wing a fair amount now we are locked in for Walla and Fantasia forward. He will need to be our midfield speed.
How did Mckenna go yesterday? Because i don't think Mcgrath will be a big feature this year, and so all our pace looks to be up the one end.

Was always a best 22 lock. I couldn't believe there were some who ever doubted it.
We will need him play on the wing a fair amount now we are locked in for Walla and Fantasia forward. He will need to be our midfield speed.
How did Mckenna go yesterday? Because i don't think Mcgrath will be a big feature this year, and so all our pace looks to be up the one end.

I thought BrunoV summed it up perfectly -

The intensity issue is why I remain unconvinced that Colyer is someone whose spot in the side is the foregone conclusion it is assumed to be. To this point in his career he has not run hard enough and has been terrible around the ball. His speed is not that significant to us anymore now that we have the likes of Fantasia, McGrath, Tippa and McKenna all around about the mark for selection (which was not the case in 2015). He will have to become a more rounded, harder working player to maintain his spot in the side.

I thought BrunoV summed it up perfectly -
Ahh yes, Bruno was one of the culprits. I don't buy that analysis. He was in the side to provide outside speed. What would have been the point of him dishing out to Watson or Myers from the inside? What i loved about his game was his link up play on the wing and his hands over his head on the lead. Those factors got me seriously excited for his future. There is almost no one in league who can go with him on the lead and he was starting to stick some seriously nice grabs. At that point he became a no brainer.

Lock in our best 22
* his kicking was smack on 3 years ago. Best accurate pass in the team.never tries to overcook the ball just low sharp and accurate. Always best 22 no question

**** his kicking was smack on 3 years ago. Best accurate pass in the team.never tries to overcook the ball just low sharp and accurate. Always best 22 no question

Colyer is someone that can just rip opposition to shreads with limited disposals - 2017 his year 2 shine

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not best 22 :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:.

He's a poor inside midfielder because his skillset doesn't suit the position. Play him as a high half froward with the license to roam up the field and drawing his opponent up with him so he can burn them on the way back to goal is what he is perfect at. A 18-20 disposal + 1 goal a game average is what he should be aiming for.

Not that I agree that he should be/ will be an "inside midfielder" but if he's around stoppages than he's a player that will require attention. He would put us in control. Opposition either put a stronger player on him which frees up our other mids, nullify him with a similar speedy player which just creates more numbers around the ball that is a benefit in my opinion to us or they let him loose.
It's a win-win.....win:smirk:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ahh yes, Bruno was one of the culprits. I don't buy that analysis. He was in the side to provide outside speed. What would have been the point of him dishing out to Watson or Myers from the inside? What i loved about his game was his link up play on the wing and his hands over his head on the lead. Those factors got me seriously excited for his future. There is almost no one in league who can go with him on the lead and he was starting to stick some seriously nice grabs. At that point he became a no brainer.

I overlooked this post. No one suggested that Colyer should be winning the ball on the inside, only that he was a factor in contested situations rather then being swept aside like he is a toddler. He has not been good at staying in the contest.

I overlooked this post. No one suggested that Colyer should be winning the ball on the inside, only that he was a factor in contested situations rather then being swept aside like he is a toddler. He has not been good at staying in the contest.

Posted around three years ago about Colyer winning more contested ball - Colyer is not an inside player, so the contested ball is fairly much loose ball gets in contests - he has improved this aspect of his game.

Posted around three years ago about Colyer winning more contested ball - Colyer is not an inside player, so the contested ball is fairly much loose ball gets in contests - he has improved this aspect of his game.
Yep noticed a difference this year on that aspect

Frawley's pretty quick in a straight line, a bit like Daniher

Yeah agreed, Frawley is actually very fast in straight line running and he ran smart as well cutting off the angles whereas Colyer was running on the outside track. If that had been Gibson instead probably would have been a different result. Still worth a try anyway - happy for him to take whoever on in that position because when he gets through its really potent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back