Retired #34: Andrew Phillips - Retiring at the end of the 2023 season - 8/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep, knows his ceiling is quite low but just toils away nonetheless.

AFL averages for Phillips
- Tackles 4.2 (3rd highest in the comp for Rucks)
- Pressure Acts 11.8 (15th) [Nick Bryan ranked #1 albeit just one game]
- One-Percenters 4.2 (9th)
- Hit Outs to Adv Rate 35.7% (10th)
- Score Involvements 4.8 (8th)

The stats of a serviceable ruckman

Yep, knows his ceiling is quite low but just toils away nonetheless.

AFL averages for Phillips
- Tackles 4.2 (3rd highest in the comp for Rucks)
- Pressure Acts 11.8 (15th) [Nick Bryan ranked #1 albeit just one game]
- One-Percenters 4.2 (9th)
- Hit Outs to Adv Rate 35.7% (10th)
- Score Involvements 4.8 (8th)

The stats of a serviceable ruckman

Couple of times in his haste to play the game plan he handballed a mate into trouble but when it really mattered he was Instrumental in the set up of stringers goal at the start of the last.

It's the kind of play a hard working ruck makes while NN is off lagging

I really like this guy, not the most magnificent ruck at contests but his second efforts and positioning during play is damn good... He's a pretty reliable shot for goal too.

One of my favorite things about Flip is his brain in the heat, which ruckmen aren't always known for lol. Those little knock on taps and on the bottom of packs craft is quite valuable with ball vacuum cleaners like Darcy and McGrath.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its crazy to think NicNat scored so well in fantasy footy, yeah he single handedly evened the clearance ledger after we dominated early but phillips really exposed his lack of tank in general play. NicNat took only one mark!

Almost hard to drop him at this point being very serviceable, but out for Draper this week surely

As a back-up ruck I’m a fan.

Gives an honest, physical effort every week.
Is actually not useless around the ground either. Can take a mark, is a good shot at goal.

I look at the footy he's playing right now and it's honestly a bit of a mystery to me how he's managed to only play 50 games in almost 9.5 years (and 35 in 8.5 if you take out his 2016 Carlton season).

Last edited:
Is actually not useless around the ground either. Can take a mark, is a good shot at goal.

I look at the footy he's playing right now and it's honestly a bit of a mystery to me how he's managed to only play 50 games in almost 9.5 years (and 35 in 8.5 if you take out his 2016 Carlton season).
Who was ahead of him at GWS….was Mumford there then? Kruezer ahead of him at Carlton, TBC and now Draper with us. Explains the minimal games.

What’s interesting to me is that Carlton didn’t seem to value him as a back up ruckman. He seems to accept the role and is well suited to it.

Last edited:
2MP and Phillips have been brilliant for us this year, big reason for our revival / improvement. Along with Hind they're up there for recruit of the year.
Sorry, I think Joe wins that title.

This is definitely the most consistent he has played.
He would come in last year, have a good game and then back it up poorly.
He seems to be able to string games together now so whether it's tank, or just mental application in that he would apply himself for the first game and then back off when he knew he was going to get another run.

Whatever it is he is exactly what clubs should be aiming to have on their list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back