Player Watch #35: Charlie Lazzaro - contract extension until end of 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

New North Melbourne player Charlie Lazzaro reflects on journey with father Vin

A died in the wool South Barwon man, Vin Lazzaro tried to talk his son Charlie into joining the GFL club in his junior days. Instead, Charlie stuck with St Mary’s on his way to the AFL.
Josh Barnes, Geelong Advertiser
Subscriber only
|
December 11, 2020 3:30pm

NEW Kangaroo Charlie Lazzaro enjoyed a special moment with his father Vin during a “surreal” night when he was given a chance to begin his AFL career.

The Geelong Falcons midfielder had been in contact with North Melbourne throughout the year before “it kind of dried up” but was scooped up with the 36th pick of Wednesday night’s AFL Draft.
Vin Lazzaro was a beloved member of South Barwon’s GFL side through the 1990s before spending time on the club’s match committee as it won the 2001 premiership and built towards a dominant era.

North Melbourne draftee Charlie Lazzaro with his mum Sonia, younger brother Archie and dad Vin. Picture: Peter Ristevski
North Melbourne draftee Charlie Lazzaro with his mum Sonia, younger brother Archie and dad Vin. Picture: Peter Ristevski

Charlie chose not to invite friends to his house on draft night “in case something didn't happen” leaving him to celebrate with his family once his name was called.

“It was really special for me and for dad as well,” he said.

“Dad spent a lot of time playing footy when he was younger and for me to achieve my dream, he played a big part in that as well as my mum (Sonia), who played a massive part in developing me as a person.”

For Vin, the night was a culmination of years of hard work Charlie put in to build his game.

“He has always had the drive and he has prided himself on the dedication and wanted to get to the highest level he could and hopefully he can get there and he has gotten the first step anyway,” Vin said.

“He did all the right things through his juniors and he is a team player and brought his teammates into the game.

“He was always a little energiser bunny when he was a kid and he was always on the go.

“I couldn’t be happier.”

Charlie Lazzaro in his new threads. Picture: Peter Ristevski
Charlie Lazzaro in his new threads. Picture: Peter Ristevski

Despite Vin’s connections at South Barwon, he couldn’t lure Charlie away from his mates at St Mary’s.

Charlie first met fellow Saint Oliver Henry in kindergarten and the pair were both drafted on Wednesday night, with Henry headed to Collingwood.

“I did have a couple of conversations in the early days (about moving to South Barwon) but (St Mary’s) was where his mates are,” Vin said.
“I have one (younger son Archie) at Newtown & Chilwell too, which is quite funny.”

Lazzaro spent his first day at Arden Street on Thursday undergoing a tour with senior players Jack Ziebell, Robbie Tarrant and Luke McDonald and met senior coach David Noble.

He will spend the next week living with his draftee teammates in Melbourne as they get stuck into training.

Among the new Roos selected on Wednesday was overall No 3 pick Will Phillips, who Lazzaro first played alongside in an under-12 Victorian representative side.

“(North Melbourne) are really welcoming and I really loved the way they went about welcoming someone who has just been drafted to the footy club,” Lazzaro said.

“The players that I have spoken to, they were really down to earth and wanted to get to know me as a person not just as a footballer so I can’t speak highly enough about the way they have welcomed me.”

With Charlie now under the watchful eye of AFL coaches, Vin will continue to support 16-year-old Archie’s junior career.

The youngster “shot up this year” and stands taller than his older brother and was to be part of the Geelong Falcons under-16 squad before COVID cancelled the 2020 season.

Sounds like Lazzaro and Phillips got to the club at the end of last week.

Hopefully we see the first day videos, always love those from the club.

Sounds like Lazzaro and Phillips got to the club at the end of last week.

Hopefully we see the first day videos, always love those from the club.

The club plan on rolling those out just after they finish the Bailey Scott 2019 Round 1 Rising Star compilation.

About time will got another spag into the club.
Since spud got the flick we’ve been crap - this is the turning point

I think you mean two.

Phillips Mum is Italian. His grandparents were Italian immigrants.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We haven't had an onballer of Italian background since Liam Antoni.
Who was our first since Anthony Rocca.

With all that ******* going on during Covid Geelong have set their sites on the 2038 - 2039 draft with Recruiting Manager Stephen Wells stating that in the unlikely event that Dangerfield hasn't won a flag by then they would strongly consider abandoning their top up policy. However he did stop short of ruling it out all together saying that the list management team would have to take several other factors in to account before making any final decision.

Who was our first since Anthony Rocca.

Saverio 👍

Not going to open the link but Anthony Rock?

WTF.

Not going to open the link but Anthony Rock?

WTF.

Was a M.B. thread titled " Drew Petrie worst 300 game player ever " started by some Cats loser 2 or 3 years ago 🤨

Remove this Banner Ad

Back