Past Aliir Aliir - traded 2020, to Port

Remove this Banner Ad

tKFgZSau.jpg

Aliir Aliir

Player Profile

Aliir Aliir is a key defender with elite intercept-marking skills who generates a wealth of drive out of the Sydney Swans’ backline. Although he’s just 25, the 2013 draftee is now one of the Swans’ most experienced backmen after the retirement of champion defenders Jarrad McVeigh, Heath Grundy and Nick Smith. Aliir’s height, excellent verticle leap and cat-like movement around the footy also make him a handy option as a back-up ruckman. Born in Kenya to Sudanese parents, Aliir is an inspiration to kids from diverse backgrounds starting a new chapter in Australia. Draft history: 2013 AFL Draft 3rd round selection (Sydney) No. 44 overall.

Aliir Aliir

DOB: 05 September 1994
DEBUT:2014
DRAFT: 2013
RECRUITED FROM: Aspley (Qld)/East Fremantle (WAFL)

Last edited:
Interesting listening to Buckley in the post-match conference

"We thought we had an answer to Franklin (??!), we thought we had an answer to Aliir..."

He's already a weapon that coaches are planning to nullify. Buckley went on to explain that shifting Mihocek back was costly as he was apparently controlling Aliir’s influence.

Also very noticeable at the ground was how hard the defense as a whole was trying to get the right matchups so Aliir had the confidence to peel off his man and impact other contests. Rampe is an absolute general out there!

Interesting listening to Buckley in the post-match conference

"We thought we had an answer to Franklin (??!), we thought we had an answer to Aliir..."

He's already a weapon that coaches are planning to nullify. Buckley went on to explain that shifting Mihocek back was costly as he was apparently controlling Aliir’s influence.

I agree with him to a point. Aliir was better and freer in the 2nd half when Mihocek was on Franklin and there were a few times he exploited Aliir by hitting up at the ball. But I wouldn't say that Aliir was being contained really and then he really influenced the game in the 2nd half. Despite some pretty aimless bombing rebounding from defence.

He and Rampe are developing a really solid partnership. Them with Melican or Johnson will form a good defence for the next few years. All of them are slightly different, good versatility there.

I knew Aliir was on fire. Top in intercept marks, equal top in intercept possessions.

We're a hugely different team with him firing (and with a fit Hannebery).

Since coming back in Round 13:

he ranks first [IN THE LEAGUE] with 35 for intercept marks, five more than the next best in Essendon's All Australian defender Cale Hooker. He is equal top for intercept possessions alongside West Coast's marking machine Jeremy McGovern, and well clear of the best defender in the competition Alex Rance.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/aliir-flying-high-in-new-look-swans-defence-20180815-p4zxna.html

You know he is on good when coaches are trying to negate his influence by manning him up and dragging him up the ground, watch the bombers and pies games
and the Demons in the last quarter

How Aliir's performance stacks up against other key defenders this season according to CD

View attachment 546824
Probably needs a spell in the twos to work on his spoiling. No defender should be rated as Poor for spoiling. I guess Horse's hand has been forced with injury, but hopefully he makes way for Grundy when he's ready to come back into the team.

Probably needs a spell in the twos to work on his spoiling. No defender should be rated as Poor for spoiling. I guess Horse's hand has been forced with injury, but hopefully he makes way for Grundy when he's ready to come back into the team.

Dont know how those stats work exactly but if its because hes intercept marking that many more balls and not spoiling them it would hardly be a knock.

I.e if an avg defender takes 2 intercept marks and spoils 8 but aliir intercepts 7 and spoils 3. You would take aliir any day. However, I have noticed that in numerous spoiling chances where a mark wasnt possible he seems to miss the ball and takes out his team mates or has done so on a few occasions. However whenever he goes for the mark he seems to take them pretty often.

The area of improvement I see for him is being beaten on the lead. Sometimes its just great disposal from the opposition and nothing can be done but other times I think he's been sagging off his opponent a bit too much. Think he'll overcome that though as hes only been back in the side a few weeks.

How Aliir's performance stacks up against other key defenders this season according to CD

View attachment 546824
I've seen this or something similar earlier this year.

He's played 10 games this season, so I reckon his stats are probably not comparable with the rest of the key defenders.

is there a link?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 546824

No doubt Horse would be looking at the ‘above average’ rating for metres gained with some disappointment. That rating should be ‘poor’! Our defenders must kick backwards and sideways only. He hates when they attack!

Dont know how those stats work exactly but if its because hes intercept marking that many more balls and not spoiling them it would hardly be a knock.

I.e if an avg defender takes 2 intercept marks and spoils 8 but aliir intercepts 7 and spoils 3. You would take aliir any day. However, I have noticed that in numerous spoiling chances where a mark wasnt possible he seems to miss the ball and takes out his team mates or has done so on a few occasions. However whenever he goes for the mark he seems to take them pretty often.

The area of improvement I see for him is being beaten on the lead. Sometimes its just great disposal from the opposition and nothing can be done but other times I think he's been sagging off his opponent a bit too much. Think he'll overcome that though as hes only been back in the side a few weeks.
Sorry, I was being completely sarcastic. The guy's a gun. Your assessment is pretty spot on though.

Don't know if I'd call it great, enjoyable yes, up there with The Godfather, Gone With The Wind, Citizen Kane no.....

Sorry Bedders, back on topic - that Aliir can damn well play ;)

Citizen Kane?! I had the best nap of my life in yr 11 during that movie! You’re right about the others. Godfather is the GOAT though.

I actually like Citizen Kane but hated Gone with the Wind - agree on The Godfather - 1 and 2 GOAT!!!!

GWTW lost me at the intermission. I was like, wtf how are we only half way through this movie, already feels like it’s been going all bloody night!

Anyway better wrap this up or we’ll be gone with the wind by the mods (or bedford) :p

GWTW lost me at the intermission. I was like, wtf how are we only half way through this movie, already feels like it’s been going all bloody night!

Anyway better wrap this up or we’ll be gone with the wind by the mods (or bedford) :p

Rhett Butler is unreasonably attractive.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back