Past Aliir Aliir - traded 2020, to Port

Remove this Banner Ad

tKFgZSau.jpg

Aliir Aliir

Player Profile

Aliir Aliir is a key defender with elite intercept-marking skills who generates a wealth of drive out of the Sydney Swans’ backline. Although he’s just 25, the 2013 draftee is now one of the Swans’ most experienced backmen after the retirement of champion defenders Jarrad McVeigh, Heath Grundy and Nick Smith. Aliir’s height, excellent verticle leap and cat-like movement around the footy also make him a handy option as a back-up ruckman. Born in Kenya to Sudanese parents, Aliir is an inspiration to kids from diverse backgrounds starting a new chapter in Australia. Draft history: 2013 AFL Draft 3rd round selection (Sydney) No. 44 overall.

Aliir Aliir

DOB: 05 September 1994
DEBUT:2014
DRAFT: 2013
RECRUITED FROM: Aspley (Qld)/East Fremantle (WAFL)

Last edited:
How we let Melbourne score over 80 points now that's a mystery.
I still remember that horrible, horrible day when Melbourne flogged us by 10+ goals :(

Dark times

Live this kids attitude. I've said it before but it looks like he genuinely lives being at the club. Some young players say they wrapped to be at a club but u can just tell that they are still settling in and adjusting.

This kid will be a monster in a few years. He doesn't look to out of place physically against the senior players.

Live this kids attitude. I've said it before but it looks like he genuinely lives being at the club. Some young players say they wrapped to be at a club but u can just tell that they are still settling in and adjusting.

This kid will be a monster in a few years. He doesn't look to out of place physically against the senior players.

He is going to be a good kid. give him a season in the new NEAFL and I am sure he will blossom

Really impressed with what I saw from him in the intra. Early days, but the recruiters may have found another hidden gem. Love his attitude and thirst for the contest, was unfazed playing on bigger opponents (both in name and physical stature). Was always very close to his man and showed off a good vertical in his spoils. Found a fair bit of the ball and although he wasn't always clean with it, he seemed to make the right decisions (if the execution was off slightly). If he gets a spot in the NAB Challenge, I think he's earned it.

I think he's a real chance to play in the NAB game, because my preference would be for T Richards to stay out and Johnson is still a while off. They may only want to look at 1 developing tall defender though, in which case X Richards would be higher in the pecking order.

I think he's a real chance to play in the NAB game, because my preference would be for T Richards to stay out and Johnson is still a while off. They may only want to look at 1 developing tall defender though, in which case X Richards would be higher in the pecking order.

Agreed. Sounds like Horse was genuinely impressed with his intra performance, which gives him a strong chance. Personally, I think we should go young in the first NAB game and then bring the experienced squad to play West Coast.

Is Aliir likely to get a game next year? Why is there hardly any hype around him? Or have I been living under a rock? Just seems like the kind of player the afl would follow pretty closely but I don't think I've heard anything about since he was drafted

Yes I think he might get a couple in preparation to take over from teddy next year. Very simple answer to you question. Because he plays for sydney. Noone likes to acknowledge anything good about sydney unless its being shoved in peoples faces. You wont hear anything about him until he gets a few games.

Is Aliir likely to get a game next year? Why is there hardly any hype around him? Or have I been living under a rock? Just seems like the kind of player the afl would follow pretty closely but I don't think I've heard anything about since he was drafted

Actually Swans fans have been talking about him quite a bit this off season. We desperately need either him or X.Richards to step up this year.

I'm actually extremly happy there hasn't been. We don't want a circus sideshow like Norf have turned Majak Daw into, he should only be judged on his ability to play football, and fortunately he has been left alone to develop and learn his craft.

I'm actually extremly happy there hasn't been. We don't want a circus sideshow like Norf have turned Majak Daw into, he should only be judged on his ability to play football, and fortunately he has been left alone to develop and learn his craft.
Makes sense with these project type of players. Takes away the pressure I guess and let's then focus on actually learning how to play

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has he returned for pre season training yet, I am very interested to see how much size he puts on in the next couple of years. He has the build that can carry a lot of muscle and compete with monsters such as Hawkins

Makes sense with these project type of players. Takes away the pressure I guess and let's then focus on actually learning how to play

I don't see him as a project player. Those generally come from directly overseas. Aliir is a player who played juniors in Queensland. Just because he is a from Sudanese background doesn't make him a project player. Patrick Mitchell, the American, was our only project player. Aliir cane through the draft system so he is an ordinary kid from WA via Queensland. mind you I think he is going to be a beauty.

gee, if they can give Jessie White 40+ games before moving him on, Alir should get 20 to 30 to prove himself.

Grundy and Richards looked like a pair of spuds in the GF. (Grundy's punch back into play still makes me vomit....:)
Actually literally vomit... That and the image I have of Reid trying to point & "general" the defence as Ted tries to direct traffic the other way... Reid standing on the full back line his opponent runs off him and he lets him go loose in the hawks fwd 50 for a few minutes... What about Jetta getting cleaned up early and not a red & white jumper got over there to take up the fight. So many cringe worthy moments... No point watching it again. Like 2006 it's gone & never to be repeated. Ever.

Actually literally vomit... That and the image I have of Reid trying to point & "general" the defence as Ted tries to direct traffic the other way... Reid standing on the full back line his opponent runs off him and he lets him go loose in the hawks fwd 50 for a few minutes... What about Jetta getting cleaned up early and not a red & white jumper got over there to take up the fight. So many cringe worthy moments... No point watching it again. Like 2006 it's gone & never to be repeated. Ever.

At least in 2006 we could hang our hats on the team having a genuine go. 2014 was just embarrassing as a Swans fan.

yes it was, so how must the players feel. If that doesn't give you extra curry, nothing will.
So playing in a grand final isn't enough motivation for them, and they will have more now?

So playing in a grand final isn't enough motivation for them, and they will have more now?
We don't hear enough of this opinion from you. You should repeat it in every thread, as often as possible. That'll never get boring.

We don't hear enough of this opinion from you. You should repeat it in every thread, as often as possible. That'll never get boring.
Sure, would be happy to :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back